Renovating For Profit Course - Anyone Been?

I have to say I've never been to a renovation course, so can't fully comment on their benefits or lack of. But I can tell you for $5,000, you can buy a hell of a lot of books, magazines and do plently of searching the internet reading sites like this for information.

I first found this site a number of years ago in...about 2006? I was 20 years old and decided I wanted to get into property. A renovation sounded great, right up my ally. Only, I had no trade experience, didn't own any tools and began with zero support from family or friends as I kept it secret until the place settled as not to be persuaded into backing out from fear of the unknown. Anyways, I searched this site every single day after work. Subscribed to property magazines and read as many articals as possible about people who had done just what I wanted to do. Not to mention bunnings was always there to ask advice.

After all was said and done, I managed to purchase a 4 bedda for 198k, spend about 12k on renovations (plus another 5k holding costs and purchase of all the tools I needed). Valuation after renovation was about 260k. Not bad for a 21yr old COMPLETE beginner.

All I needed for that was guts, determination and a "rule of thumb" for guidence which someone was kind enough to share with me on this site. "For every dollar you spend, you should make atleast $2 back otherwise its not worth your time." I applyed that to each and every purchase or alteration and learnt sooooooo much along the way. Next time I think I could do the same renovation in half the time, with half the money. But I only have the confidence to say that because I've actually done it before, not because someone on a stage told me they done it.

Goodluck (ps sorry if I trailed off abit there)

Well done

Hi Crystalleez,

Sounds like a great 1st IP. When is the next one ;)

Totally agree with you - however not all (including myself) are as willing/courageous/ready to step out of there comfort zone.

I recently attended the FREE Think and Grow Rich Seminar (which I can highly recommend) - and that has given me some extra ideas etc with which to continue on.

There was a lot of sessions on mindset etc - which is quite important from a wholistic perspective.

At this seminar a lot of people were buying courses on Renovation/Development/Shares all at once - and I was trying to work out whether I would be able to make the most out the information which would be gleaned.

I guess it all comes down to horses for courses.

Matto

A rather late reply! I did the Reno Course in 2005 and even flew from Papua New Guinea to attend the course. While it was all good and exciting at the time, I did spend nearly $5000 (on all the extra's), but to be honest, despite coming away with lots of enthusiasm and excitement, I was disappointed there wasn't more real life experiences. Remember, just because one reno scenario can work for one invester, doesn't mean it can be the right fit for your situtation. All the speakers - all good in their own right, were really only promoting their own courses. I'm not saying it’s not a good course, but a quick calculation of how many people were there as participants will tell you, property courses are a fantastic money spinner. The $500 I spent on the audio DVD set, were the same set as the free ’DVD’ set they give you of the course!

Once again, I'm not saying the courses are not worth it, just easy to spend heaps and wonder later what you actually got from it.

A rather late reply! I did the Reno Course in 2005 and even flew from Papua New Guinea to attend the course. While it was all good and exciting at the time, I did spend nearly $5000 (on all the extra's), but to be honest, despite coming away with lots of enthusiasm and excitement, I was disappointed there wasn't more real life experiences. Remember, just because one reno scenario can work for one invester, doesn't mean it can be the right fit for your situtation. All the speakers - all good in their own right, were really only promoting their own courses. I'm not saying it’s not a good course, but a quick calculation of how many people were there as participants will tell you, property courses are a fantastic money spinner. The $500 I spent on the audio DVD set, were the same set as the free ’DVD’ set they give you of the course!

Once again, I'm not saying the courses are not worth it, just easy to spend heaps and wonder later what you actually got from it.

Yeah there are lot of people who charge $300-$1000 for things that actually can be found elsewhere for free.
To be honest, if there were that successful in renovating - why would they be running seminars in the 1st place?

Yeah there are lot of people who charge $300-$1000 for things that actually can be found elsewhere for free.
To be honest, if there were that successful in renovating - why would they be running seminars in the 1st place?

Because there is no elbow grease required in seminars and the profits are just as lucrative.

Rooster

Well for $5000 yeah but for $300-$500, you better off do renovating yourself or play like CFDs or something.

1 day seminar x 300 people @ $500 = $150,000

Show me a 1 day reno where you can make $150,000.

The course material only has to be produced once and can be used time and again at every subsequent course.

Blows renovating for a living out the window when the majority of people want things spoon fed to them as a way of learning.

Rooster

Do you mean that you actually did Cherie & Steve's course in 2005? Because I don't think they were doing it in 2005. :confused: It sounds more like you were at an introductory seminar with many different speakers. Is that right?

I'm sorry Rolf- I don't follow your imputation: Please explain!
I think what Rolf means is that becoming 'known' as an expert & imparting knowledge to people is also an end in itself and can be very gratifying. Peter Spann may have been worth $26m 10 years ago but that didn't stop him wanting the high of standing on the stage before a cheering audience. It's almost like being a rockstar but without needing musical ability. As someone who actually really likes public speaking & is a bit of a performer it makes perfect sense to me. Some people also make considerable $ from it; but I don't see how that invalidates the information.

Cash flow.

I will take a nice $150k injection anytime.;)

Sorry for the multi-posts, but seeing as this thread has come up it would be remiss of me not to comment. I recently attended Cherie's 3 day seminar and thought it was excellent. Could I have got the exact same info out of books? If so I must have been reading the wrong ones. And as much as i love Sarah Beeny on Property Ladder, she has never explained the nuts & bolts of how she makes money from property (if indeed she is still a developer). I had already renovated 5 houses and I made money on all of them. Does this mean I know all there is to know about making money through renos? Hardly! God forbid I ever get to the stage where i think i have nothing to learn. The day after Cherie's course she took us to her current project which will likely make her about $800k. She does many projects a year and makes a ship load more $ than I have doing it. I'm more than happy to use her system & pay her $5.5k for the privilege.

I can make $150,000 in renos which is easier than a seminar to conduct.

Myself, I find education as self forfillment rather than a money spinner. - Thats what they all say, I know. But at end of the day I think its the difference between good value education, or a big ticket sales team with pretty graphs etc, which everyone should be aware of before going to seminars/courses etc.

Whats on offer, whats the value, and how can I apply whats being said to my own personal lifestyle.

1 day seminar x 300 people @ $500 = $150,000

Show me a 1 day reno where you can make $150,000.

The course material only has to be produced once and can be used time and again at every subsequent course.

Blows renovating for a living out the window when the majority of people want things spoon fed to them as a way of learning.

Rooster

150K net? and yeah right 300 ppl... highly doubt that - more like 20 and the cost to book the venue and drinks etc organization.

i might as well make 10 trades and make 300K

As for 1 day reno - yes i have made 150K before. And i don't do it for a living.

I can make $150,000 in renos which is easier than a seminar to conduct.

Myself, I find education as self forfillment rather than a money spinner. - Thats what they all say, I know. But at end of the day I think its the difference between good value education, or a big ticket sales team with pretty graphs etc, which everyone should be aware of before going to seminars/courses etc.

Whats on offer, whats the value, and how can I apply whats being said to my own personal lifestyle.

I agree with you. In my book i rank him as no.1 as nathan walks the talks - unlike many who claim this and that but never really do anything. Even i have renovated more places that many posters on this forum - i wouldn't be running like a seminar - 300 ppl - it's not an Apple Mac conference for crying out loud.

Anyone going to the Stuart Zadel 2 day seminar comming up in May in Perth?
I got 2 free tickets, not sure if l can attend yet though. Aparently they are worth thousands;)
Has anyone been to this seminar on the East coast.

It called
The ultimate Think and Grow rich property entrepreneurs conference.
Really apreciate any feed back
cheers

Sorry for the multi-posts, but seeing as this thread has come up it would be remiss of me not to comment. I recently attended Cherie's 3 day seminar and thought it was excellent. Could I have got the exact same info out of books? If so I must have been reading the wrong ones. And as much as i love Sarah Beeny on Property Ladder, she has never explained the nuts & bolts of how she makes money from property (if indeed she is still a developer). I had already renovated 5 houses and I made money on all of them. Does this mean I know all there is to know about making money through renos? Hardly! God forbid I ever get to the stage where i think i have nothing to learn. The day after Cherie's course she took us to her current project which will likely make her about $800k. She does many projects a year and makes a ship load more $ than I have doing it. I'm more than happy to use her system & pay her $5.5k for the privilege.

i'll give cherie this - best looking renovator around australia :D hands down beats Sarah Beeney

Back