Renovation Sequence

Hi Guys,

Just about to start a renovation on my IP. I just want to see what peoples suggestions on the sequence of the renovation should.

I am looking at doing the following:

1- Remove Kitchen
2- Remove tiles from bathrom, Toilet, Landury
3- remove toilet and vanity
4- remove all internal doors
5- Tile Bathroom, toilet, laundry
6- install new vanity and toilet
7- Paint interior of house
8- Install new doors
9- install new kitchen

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1) Remove kitchen
2) Install new kitchen
3) Plumber disconnects wet devices in bathroom, toilet and laundry, Plumber connects kitchen connections
4) Remove tiles
5) Tiler does tiled areas/floors/kitchen splashbacks/bathroom waterproofing membrane
6) Plumber installs bathroom/toilet/laundry wet items
7) Replace internal doors
8) Paint interior of house from ceiling down (ceiling then walls then doors then trims)
9) Open a beer

this is how I do it and why

1 remove internal doors to make working easier
2 remove kitchen and vanity
3 remove all tiles in all areas but leave toilet where it is so that you can use it during work. If neccessary for tiling remove cistern and use bucket of water to flush manually
4 clean up all dust so that no dust gets on new kitchen/freshly painted surfaces
5 undercoat door frames to avoid fiddly undercoat jobs in the case of walls being done first, waterproof membrane in wet areas
6 paint ceiling and walls before tiles are down so that you dont worry about drops of paint on new tiles
7 install kitchen so that you can tile effectively and save tiles under cabinetry if tiles in kitchen
8 retile toilet, reseat toilet if taken off, plumber to reconnect cistern
9 final coat doorframes (to save fiddly paint job when tiles installed)
10 retile everything including grout (or grout lines will fill up with debris from hanging doors) making sure that tiler doesn't dirty walls too much (they do that.)
11 hang doors/install vanity/final plumbing fit off/electrician reconnect stove/gas plumber reconnect stove/cooktop if gas present
12 final coat doors
13 touch up paint/cleanup

note: I do all work myself except for hanging doors hence the sequence and priority of leaving toilet there. If you're contracting the job out, you don't care about that and so rip cistern/toilet out along with tiles, nor do you care how fiddly painting doorframes are/drops of paint on floor because you arent doing it yourself

Back