Renovators Club

Hi,

I would love to do my own maintenance and/or some basic renos. But I have no hands on experience. I have done some courses, gone to Bunnings and watched the TV shows. But I don't attempt to do anything because if I stuff it up, I won't know how to fix it, and will have to call in the tradies.

Is there any expert Renos out there that need and extra help for painting, paving, tiling, demolition, remodelling. Many hands make light work.

I was thinking, if a data base could be set up on this site, the expert renos put their jobs on it with dates, address, contact details etc and the novice renos could nominate themselves to help out on that day or weekend. First in gets the job.

This could be a win win situation. The expert reno gets free labour, and the novice learns the tricks of the trade.

Your thought pls - is it too hard for the experts to teach us novices??

Hi cgw

Sounds good to me - but I'm in Perth :( I do need an extra pair of hands from time to time and would not mind teaching what I know.:D

unfortunately the risks of having learners onsite will generally outweigh the benefits of free labour.

....and having novices onsite can in fact... cost money.

but i wish you luck.

rossv

Thanks Rossy. I thought that may be the case.

I might go and do another course eg tiling and bring it up there, and I am sure I will get a response then.

Thanks

Hi cgw,

We're always looking for new trades people but you need to have public liability insurance due to the way our business is set up.

There are many people at the investors meetings in Adelaide that do renos and some may be happy to take you on. If you are not already on the list why don't you contact me and I can include you to attend the meetings?

I belong to a DIY forum (just your own home - not property investment) and we had quite a healthy co-op going some time back where you barter skills and labour in return for the same. An excel spread sheet is kept of what hours you've worked and what hours you are owed. e.g. If 4 people put in 5 hours at someones place, the 4 people have 5 +hours each and the person who had the work done has 20 -hours and of course as they do work at other places their -hours reduce and there is a constant see sawing of + & - hours. Person getting the work done puts on food and drink for the workers. Everyone brings whatever tools they've got that can help on the day.

Some of the things we have done include -
*cleaning out and repairing all the cages etc at a WIRES (sick & injured animals) minders place
*preparing and painting a bedroom
*preparing a resume
*fixing a PC
*PC training
*making a doona out of some fabric bought back from Tibet
*playing waiters/waitresses at someones wedding, plus the washing & wiping up as it was self catered
*putting up all the Xmas decorations inside and outside
*From front to back I've had all my gardens weeded, and rockeries fertilised and mulched, plus gutters cleaned out and 'netted' against birds and debris.
*Plus lots more

You could start a co-op like this and get the following done (no skill involved - just labour related):
whipper snipping, mowing, pruning, planting and other garden associated work
cleaning the house inside and out
painting
help ripping up carpet, pulling off tiles, removing rubbish, pulling out a kitchen or bathroom
smashing up concrete and so on

If it takes off you will attract people with some skills you can learn even if they're not 'professionals'.

I suggested this idea some time back and it was a well received idea at the time although no-one ran with it. I think it's especially suited to newbies - people helping each other.

It's a good idea - good luck with it.
Cheers
Olly

"Build it and they will come" (a line from the movie Field of Dreams) :)

Back