Rental demand in the suburbs Chigwell & Berriedale in Hobart

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering if anyone knows what the rental demand in Chigwell and Berriedale in Hobart is like? I want to buy an IP there but can't afford to have vacant for any long periods.

Hi Amberlee,

I'm renovating a property in Chigwell at the moment, and just rented one out nearby at Claremont. Rental demand is good for 3 bedroom houses, ours rented pretty quick. My property manager confirms they've had a shortage of properties, a quick search on re.com.au only has one 3br house listed for rent.
2 bedders are the ones sitting on the market, harder to rent out.

Thanks Propertunity, that will come in very handy for this and future IP research!
Also, thank you Of The Vultures, I just spoke to a property manager in Glenorchy who said it was unlikely a 2-3 bedder house in the $230 to $250 rent p.w. range the Chigwell area would sit vacant for much longer than 2 weeks. So that along with your info sounds promising.

Considering one in three Tasmanians collect Centrelink benefits, I think you'll find recipients in many suburbs. Chigwell, along with other suburbs with similar demographics has its share of bad apples, however you'll find many of the welfare recipients are of the old school variety - just regular older folks who don't cause any trouble.

I don't think Chigwell would be near the top 5 least desirable suburbs in Hobart, let alone all of Tasmania.

Considering one in three Tasmanians collect Centrelink benefits, I think you'll find recipients in many suburbs. Chigwell, along with other suburbs with similar demographics has its share of bad apples, however you'll find many of the welfare recipients are of the old school variety - just regular older folks who don't cause any trouble.

I don't think Chigwell would be near the top 5 least desirable suburbs in Hobart, let alone all of Tasmania.

In regards to this with the unemployed, my tassie PM told me Centrelink pay the rent directly so that way you definitely get it on time each week.

Hey R377 (or anyone else who reads this, who has experience), what are property management fees typically like in greater Hobart. Say, Chigwell or Glenorchy areas; are these areas more expensive in terms on mgmt than say inner Hobart? What are we talking here, say 7.7% - 9.9%-ish?

I don't know about inner Hobart but my pm's fees for outer Hobart started at 10%, now I pay 7% inc GST. But I have three properties with the same agent. They seem to readily discount for multiple properties.
But I don't believe it would be too hard to knock it down a percentage point even if you've only got one property.

Back