Renting out with or without a gardener?

Hi,
I'm just getting ready to rent out my first IP. The garden has been well maintained (low-maintenance) and I'm interested in keeping it that way.
Should I rent it out with a gardener or not? What's your experience?

I always have a gardener with my IP's. Tenants like it, and keeps the place looking like it really is value for money. Besides...what if you only weeded the garden once a year...twould be a nightmare. I just see regular gardening as preventitive maintenance.

I intend building a gardener into my next rents. My properties in Melbourne all had great gardens that have just been let go by the tenants. This then makes the house look like it is a rental property.

When you add up the cost it does not add that much to the rent but it certainly adds lots to the appeal of the property.

Chris

If you would like it to be well maintained you would be better off including a gardener. I don't think most tenants like gardening.

Or you could let the tenants know you need the garden maintained to a high standard and give them the option of paying extra to include a gardener in their rent if they don't want to do it themselves.

We have tended to ask a little more rent per week but include lawn mowing. Our IPs look much better than when tenants were looking after the yard. I reckon we are about even in the long run. Costs us more in summer but less in winter and about even in the wash up.

Wylie

Ramblings of gardening maintenance.

Gardening is a waste of time on a rental.

Lawn mowing and the occasional pruning of plants ( about twice a year ) will give that looked after appearance to most property's.

Property's without a shed or garage restricts the tenant from having a mower on sight, in witch case employ the mower man.

I do the mowing on some of our property's and the pruning on most of the others this gives me the opportunity to see how the place is being looked after.

Properties left to the tenant to maintain usually need a two day working bee to get them back to a to state for reletting. The gardens in thees properties will always establish the drought tolerant plans best for that environment.

Weedacide applied to the areas where a whipper snipper is usually used will give you about three month grace before reapplication is needed.

A descent blower is eventual, cleans gutters, cleans spouting, cleans paths & driveways, clears cobwebs, makes you look so professional.

Gerd

Back