Renting property requiring future repairs

I will be looking to rent strata property that requires the bathroom to be ripped up some time in the future which looks like it will be 8 months+ when this happens.
the reason for this is that the building has had continued issues with water damaged as the bathrooms have not been water seal correctly. The immediate issue has been resolved so we don't have any issues right now but once the strata management has collected all the special levies required the work will then commence.
My question is, with this being a 1 bathroom unit and the expected work being out of a 6 month lease. Do I have to/should I disclose the required work to be done as this will result in the tenant not having a bathroom for two weeks if they are still there.

You can't just tell a tenant they won't have a bathroom for 2 weeks.
You could maybe negotiate paying for them to stay in a hotel??

I would ask if they have family they could stay with for 2 weeks or take a holiday and you will offer 2 weeks rent free. If they take it its cheaper than a motel.

Disclose at the start of the tenancy that it will be happening, if it's only a one bathroom property I'd offer 2 weeks rent free and/or other accommodation for that period if they don't have family/friends to stay with.

It will depend on the tenant how much it will cost you.

Definitely make them aware that the works will be happening, and that they will be without a bathroom for the time. You will need to agree on compensation/arrangements upfront - and make sure it's in writing.

I am not sure about the tenancy laws in your state, but in QLD not having a bathroom for 2 weeks would absolutely constitute a situation where the tenant is able to walk away from the lease obligation (as it is unfit for human occupation). Having the above document may save the day, but I would still be prepared to release the tenant from their lease and start advertising again, if it should come to that.

The disclosure is not mandatory especially because you do not know when the works are likely to occur. Why risk losing a tenant at the lease-up time by disclosing a serious defect in the building? Cross that bridge when you come to it, you never know, it may fit into a vacancy period.

The disclosure is not mandatory especially because you do not know when the works are likely to occur. Why risk losing a tenant at the lease-up time by disclosing a serious defect in the building? Cross that bridge when you come to it, you never know, it may fit into a vacancy period.

Actually, that is really a good point. Maybe I should stop posting at midnight so I can think a little more..

Also if it's 8+ months away you could do a 6 month lease..

Back