Renting vs Buying?

we have a mortgage on PPOR.

We rented for 2 years or so when first married. I hate the feeling of being able to be dictated to in terms of how I live. We are messy and we hate the idea of inspections, not being able to put things on the walls and the transient nature of renting. So, have lived in PPOR for over 15 years now.Would never go back voluntarily!

Good forum question

Personally i rent in places where i want to live that are affordable and invest in the west, Sydney (nice slogan there!) where i can afford as i am an average wage earner and can only afford IP in that price range.

For me it is all about lifestyle, I see nothing wrong with renting as long as you have appreciating assets to back it up with.

Some of the high end investors i.e. Chris Gray rent where they live and invest in the same area, they are chasing big tax breaks and incentives and a whole manner of other tricks!!

Underlying theme here is once you have property under your belt, you have choices as to what you want to do with it and you circumstances.

Ian

The true value of ppor is the non-financial ones. Sense of home, sense of security, sense of belonging to a community, etc.

We moved into our current PPoR in Dec - a new build, and my 5th PPoR.

We reckon we'll be in this one for a long time.

It must be costly for the bottom line to be constantly changing PPOR with agent's fees, legal fees, stamp duties, etc.

Currently rent where I live. Sold my PPOR a while ago and used the funds to buy some IP's. A near future purchase will be an IP to become a PPOR in the future.

This is the second house I have rented since selling PPOR, first was sold as landlord went broke.

I almost moved into an IP, but the property manager I use for my IP's in western sydney had a nice house available a few streets from where I was living, and offered me that one as done deal. Great place, would probably buy it if it came up for sale. Long term owners.

It must be costly for the bottom line to be constantly changing PPOR with agent's fees, legal fees, stamp duties, etc.

Yes it has. Over $100k I'd reckon.

But all were done for normal life reasons - not to keep trying to make money. All were sold for more than they were bought for which was lucky.

First one - relationship split up.
Second one some years later - newly married and built.
Third one - change of life from suburbia to rural, and changed jobs.
Fourth one - realised no.3 lifetsyle change wasn't what we wanted and moved on.
Fifth and current - built again.

The end result has been we now own the current one. We have used the increases in value to move on to a "better/more expensive one each time. Property value increases helps of course.

If I'd stayed in no.1 I'd own it too most likely, but it's value is not what the current one is, and I could never have lived there for my entire life.

Yes it has. Over $100k I'd reckon.

But all were done for normal life reasons - not to keep trying to make money. All were sold for more than they were bought for which was lucky.

First one - relationship split up.
Second one some years later - newly married and built.
Third one - change of life from suburbia to rural, and changed jobs.
Fourth one - realised no.3 lifetsyle change wasn't what we wanted and moved on.
Fifth and current - built again.

The end result has been we now own the current one. We have used the increases in value to move on to a "better/more expensive one each time. Property value increases helps of course.

If I'd stayed in no.1 I'd own it too most likely, but it's value is not what the current one is, and I could never have lived there for my entire life.

Between third and fourth and then fourth and fifth, did you not consider renting as a sort of try before you buy - to see whether the location worked or not?

Secondly, why keep building - this is a costly exercise - with established houses you get a lot of extras built in e.g. landscaping, fencing, etc

I think that PPORs are like wives and cars. You should not keep changing them all the time as they are extremely costly to maintain.

Last edited:
Between third and fourth and then fourth and fifth, did you not consider renting as a sort of try before you buy - to see whether the location worked or not?

Secondly, why keep building - this is a costly exercise - with established houses you get a lot of extras built in e.g. landscaping, fencing, etc

I think that PPORs are like wives and cars. You should not keep changing them all the time as they are extremely costly to maintain.

Some people just prefer the stability of home ownership (with the pricetag attached). I too am the same, no matter how much it kills me, Id never rent!

pinkboy

You are mad to pay 600k for a townhouse on a dry block in Bundall. You can get a house on a wet block for 700k.

Get a valuer. I would say that property is currently worth high 400s.

Never considered renting as we had long ago entered into the home ownership world and hadn't thought of ever going back to renting - I wasn't an investor back then with the knowledge we all have here. We were happy with our location picks every time.

When we sold our 3rd PPoR (B&B property) we made enough of a cap gain to buy our 4th PPoR outright. It was lucky; we bought in an area that was about to take off and we didn't know it would, and our next house was in an area which was a fair bit cheaper by comparison.

But then again; we mortgaged ourselves up to the eyebrows to buy no.3 - it was for a B&B venture we wanted to do. We backed ourselves and took the plunge; that's making your own luck.

We spent a year renovating it (spare time, weekends etc). It did ok, but the dollars in B&B's is not that flash, and we ended up having to work full-time and try to fit in the B&B as well. It got too hard and we never had any money to play with. Sold up and bought down by the beach in no.4 (across the road from where we now live).

While in no.4, we got offered the block across the road which was owned by our neighbor; they wanted to sell it, they knew we were interested (better views and on the low side of the road with the views behind the house - better privacy), he offered us a good deal and very long settlement, so we bought it.

About this time, we decided to move to the USA for 3 years so my wife could do a work contract. We rented out no.4, and we were renting so to speak while in the US.

We moved back and rented a further 3 years while I renovated no.4, sold it and built no.5.

True, but PPoR no.2 was a very cheap block I found near work when I had some cash saved. I bought it for cash with no loan. It was simply an opportunity at that time.

With the current one; we knew the potential of the block (next door to the owner of it and they have unbelievable views) and always thought it would be good to have it. It got put in our lap pretty much, so we had to do it.

Churning wives is about the most expensive thing you could do I'd say.

Last edited:
another renting where i live and owning where i don't. We have a few regionals and we wouldn't live out there, and then some others in a 'developing' mid nothern suburb in melbourne which we would live in but at the moment i work in south east so it would be annoying every morning and evening with time in transit.

We just moved into what will be my third rented property, each time i i think i have been living in what would be quite low yeilding investments. I have lived in two palces i owned previously.

Its annoying getting a rental especially when i can think of a few well selected renovations that would dramatically improve this place but by the same token we are savign a ton of cash living a decent lifestyle which we are investing in hopefully more profitable ventures.

My girlfriend and i have made an lose deal that this is the last rental as we want to renovate something the way we want it.

renting for tax benefits

I've been renting ever since as the difference between PPOR and renting is $800p/m. Also, I have 4 IPs so tax wise its good. In my opinion it gives you more back overall when you rent and have IPs.

im looking at getting my old man to build a house for me to rent in and i can then rent mine out
hes happy for me to live there for as long as i want so would that really be classed as renting...? now i just need to get the ball rolling

Never considered renting as we had long ago entered into the home ownership world and hadn't thought of ever going back to renting - I wasn't an investor back then with the knowledge we all have here. We were happy with our location picks every time.

When we sold our 3rd PPoR (B&B property) we made enough of a cap gain to buy our 4th PPoR outright. It was lucky; we bought in an area that was about to take off and we didn't know it would, and our next house was in an area which was a fair bit cheaper by comparison.

But then again; we mortgaged ourselves up to the eyebrows to buy no.3 - it was for a B&B venture we wanted to do. We backed ourselves and took the plunge; that's making your own luck.

We spent a year renovating it (spare time, weekends etc). It did ok, but the dollars in B&B's is not that flash, and we ended up having to work full-time and try to fit in the B&B as well. It got too hard and we never had any money to play with. Sold up and bought down by the beach in no.4 (across the road from where we now live).

While in no.4, we got offered the block across the road which was owned by our neighbor; they wanted to sell it, they knew we were interested (better views and on the low side of the road with the views behind the house - better privacy), he offered us a good deal and very long settlement, so we bought it.

About this time, we decided to move to the USA for 3 years so my wife could do a work contract. We rented out no.4, and we were renting so to speak while in the US.

We moved back and rented a further 3 years while I renovated no.4, sold it and built no.5.

True, but PPoR no.2 was a very cheap block I found near work when I had some cash saved. I bought it for cash with no loan. It was simply an opportunity at that time.

With the current one; we knew the potential of the block (next door to the owner of it and they have unbelievable views) and always thought it would be good to have it. It got put in our lap pretty much, so we had to do it.

Churning wives is about the most expensive thing you could do I'd say.

Thank you for detailed response.
So without cap gain, it would be impossible to upgrade to the next ppor. Every ppor needs to be treated as an investment property with a view to cg.

im looking at getting my old man to build a house for me to rent in and i can then rent mine out
hes happy for me to live there for as long as i want so would that really be classed as renting...? now i just need to get the ball rolling

As long as you pay rent and he shows that on his tax return it's still classified as rent - doesn't matter who the tenant is.

Back