Renting with pets - how do you find a home?

Hi All,

After finding out that my landlord intends to start construction on the front of the block that we live on some time next year, I decided I'd have a quick browse through rentals online and see what is available. I have no kids but I do have two dogs, and it may sound silly to some, but they are much-loved family to me. Looking through the rentals, they either do not mention anything about pets, or they say that pets are not allowed. When I search for 'pets' I just get a whole lot of listings with either "wall to wall carpets", :rolleyes: "newly laid carpets" or the not so subtle "NO PETS". If I search for 'dog' I only get a few results, mainly along the lines of "cats OK, no dogs". If I just look at properties with large rear yards, most of these properties explicitly state that pets are not allowed (I guess they get asked this all the time.)

I've noticed that from time to time there is a post on here about allowing pets in rentals, and it seems quite a few people do, but as a tenant it seems quite difficult to find a place that allows pets. I understand and respect that some people do not want pets in their IPs, but what about those that do? Or those that might consider it? Do you just have to front up to a whole lot of REAs and plead your case to work out who will consider your application? I don't suppose there is a special website for pet-friendly rentals...?

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them. The situation is not urgent by any means, but the time will come when I need to find a new home and as pets are a priority to me, I'd like to know that we have somewhere to go. :)

Cheers,

Ali

Try offering them a bigger deposit or higher rent. Right now with the rental market so tight it'll be harder for you.
Alex

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I'd love to hear them.....I need to find a new home and as pets are a priority to me....

If the pets are a priority for you, you need to translate that desire into a dollar figure, and offer that amount over and above what other folk without dogs are willing to pay for the same premises.

If it's between you and another without dogs and the rental $ offered is the same.....well, I reckon you'll lose out every time.

Or you come to Brisbane and between my mum and me, we will find you a house where you can have your two dogs :D

We self-manage and put "pets OK" in our ads. Right now it probably does not make a difference because rentals are tight, but when things are "normal" and there are plenty of rentals available, having the "pets OK" in the ad means we usually have plenty of interest.

The only thing I can think of is to let all the agents in your chosen area know you are looking for something that will allow pets, and maybe they have a database of people with pets on a separate list that you can be added to, but I am only guessing.

Wylie

Ali,

Last October my wife and I landed in Brisbane with two Great Danes. We did not have much difficulty finding a rental.

We looked for a rental in a tight market earlier this year and we have a dog. A lot of PMs were quite discouraging and I was starting to consider sneaking the dog in later ...

Then one landlord who had refused all tenants on one ground or another for three months inexplicably accepted our application. Maybe we were just lucky but I think it was the fact that my wife is a professional that swayed things in our favour. You should also play that card the minute you can (Ali knows what I mean :) ).

Get some doggie references too if you can. ie I have known this couple and their dogs for x years and they have always been well behaved and clearly housetrained. The dogs are nice too. Something along those lines might help.

Good luck mate

I'll be going through the same thing soon (with a cat though) and since I've begun researching, the majority of houses Im interested in say no pets. I think its a tad harsh myself. The majority of decent people actually respect other peoples houses and I know i personally would treat it like my own, hence ensure my pet/s don't trash it.

Good luck.. Im sure you'll come across something soon enough.

Maybe think like a landlord! By this I mean choose a house that will have minimal impact from fur, claws and um.... possible leaks. Tiled. You must remember landlords have been stung and some pet owners are more considerate than others.

Choosing a carpeted place with stain possibilities? Landlords unlikely to take the risk.

Ring up agents and ask which properties have tiled/hardwood floors. Cite allergies if you must.

Then if the place is appropriate put in an application with backing documentation. Be willing to attach a pic of the pooch or state breed and whether it is an inside/outside dog, where it will sleep, photos of your current house showing the floors are carpeted and unstained/clean. Be willing to pay a little extra or agree to pay an extra cleaning fee when the lease ends.

As a landlord I'd want

a) A higher rent to cover inc wear and tear
b) A higher bond to cover potential pet damage
c) Even if I had (a) and (b) I'd only rent out the right sort of property (back yard, hard floors)

I'n Victoria you can only ask for a higher bond if the weekly rent is above a certain threshold ($350/wk ?) I think. Perhaps look in that price range for a per friendly house (c) and offer (a) and (b) even if the landlord says no pets.

As a landlord I'd want

a) A higher rent to cover inc wear and tear
b) A higher bond to cover potential pet damage
c) Even if I had (a) and (b) I'd only rent out the right sort of property (back yard, hard floors)

Gee, you're harsh. There is a lot more wear & tear & damage IMHO from a toddler/young child, than a well looked after pet.

Keep looking, I'm sure you'll find something.

Dis makes some good comments. A higher weekly rent, and a higher bond/agreement to have the place professionaly cleaned at your own expense at the end of the lease would make the tennant with dog much more attractive in my eyes. Hell, I'd probably prefer a dog owner if they agreed to those terms and offered me $20pw over market.

Gee, you're harsh. There is a lot more wear & tear & damage IMHO from a toddler/young child, than a well looked after pet.

I would weigh up all the applicants on their merrits. In the current rental market there are sufficiant low risk applicants that people need to take steps to make themselves attractive if there are obvious factors which may cause them to be overlooked. I listed the things which would influence me in chosing a pet owner.

If a only had 2 applicants - pet owner and child with a toddler I would probably choose the pet owner.

If a only had 2 applicants - pet owner and child with a toddler I would probably choose the pet owner.

I agree with that! I'd hate to think how a child with a toddler is going to be able to look after themselves let alone the house :D :D :D

we have tried renting in the past here in Perth with a couple of cats, and we found it extremely difficult to secure a rental when we mentioned our cats. The first place we omitted to mention our cats, we got accepted.

I believe many landlords have become over precious with their rental properties, declining anybody with the tiniest negative. its the state of the market, but seriously 2 cats don't do a thing to floorboards or tiles, and well trained you won't see a single stain. Dogs I understand, but there has to be some commonsense somewhere.

I agree - I have two toddlers! They are much harder on the house than our dog...the dog doesnt come in the house with muddy feet (well not often!!), draw on things, chip the walls with their toys, or pee on the floor when toilet training!! Unfortunately, it is hard to contain a busy toddler and accidents will always happen. As a landlord, I would prefer pets to toddlers....definately.

I hope my landlord doens't read this!! :eek: :eek: She might ask for a reference for my kids!!

Cheers, Nadia

we have tried renting in the past here in Perth with a couple of cats, and we found it extremely difficult to secure a rental when we mentioned our cats. The first place we omitted to mention our cats, we got accepted.

I believe many landlords have become over precious with their rental properties, declining anybody with the tiniest negative. its the state of the market, but seriously 2 cats don't do a thing to floorboards or tiles, and well trained you won't see a single stain. Dogs I understand, but there has to be some commonsense somewhere.

I wholeheartedly agree. We have two cats, both toilet trained, and have never had an issue with them messing anywhere. I also have a German Shepherd, however he stays outside during the day, and when he comes inside in the evening with us - he knows he's not allowed past the laundry door (and then goes back outside to sleep).

I would'nt like trying to find a rental property though - landlords would freak when they saw my Shepherd, and would assume (unfairly) he would be given the run of the house.

Ali G
A 'standard' lease states 'no pets', however, you will probably find that a lot of, {if not most} landlords wont mind you having a pet or pets. Dont assume 'no pets' in the advert means no pets. Ive been a landlord since 1990 and without a doubt, I would rather have someone in one of my houses with pets over kids.

no pets

I am currently in the initial stages of building a new house as an investment property.

I will be advertising that pets are OK although I may state "pets by negotiation"

This leaves me the opportunity to charge a few extra dollars or even just to place a few restrictions in their lease ie extra bond, pets outside only etc.

I am a dog owner and my German Shepherd has the run of my house.

He has caused no damage what so ever although he does shed a lot of hair. This is no big deal as I have a vacuum cleaner which makes short work of it.

I have just finished repainting and recarpeting the entire house and it has not changed my thoughts on this at all.

Therefore I am not concerned about tenants having dogs although I would prefer that they remain outside but I know that this is unlikely to actually happen.

I don't think the animals are the problem. I believe it is the tenants.

Bad tenants will let their animals cause damage or ignore their dirty paws on the carpet etc.
Good tenants take care of their houses so they are more responsible with their pets too.

I'd much rather rent to a couple with pets than a couple with toddlers!!!

Back