Replacing a Toilet

Hi

Our IP has an old ceramic toilet in it (even the cistern is ceramic) and leaks quite a lot (water from the cistern is constantly running into the bowl). As we will be moving in within 12 months we would want to replace the toilet anyways, so figured we would do it now, even though the problem is just a seal. It would also only use half the water as the old toilet uses enough water to have a bath :D

Has anyone had a toilet replaced lately (were on the Gold Coast) & can they advise on "roughly" how much we are looking at for removal and replacement?

I would do it myself but not really an option with tenants in place.

Regards
Brett

Hi

Our IP has an old ceramic toilet in it (even the cistern is ceramic) and leaks quite a lot (water from the cistern is constantly running into the bowl). As we will be moving in within 12 months we would want to replace the toilet anyways, so figured we would do it now, even though the problem is just a seal. It would also only use half the water as the old toilet uses enough water to have a bath :D

Has anyone had a toilet replaced lately (were on the Gold Coast) & can they advise on "roughly" how much we are looking at for removal and replacement?

I would do it myself but not really an option with tenants in place.

Regards
Brett

Check you local council,or state to see if they offer rebates for water saving
cisterns.

can they advise on "roughly" how much we are looking at for removal and replacement?
Brett
You can get a plumber to replace the flashing mechanism.

Othewise, I'm guessing that the plumber would probably charge you around $300 plus whatever the toilet suite costs.
The cheapest I've seen is $150

i had toilet canister replaced last week, together with the laundry taps

cost me 400 all up

i think toilet replacement would've been about 250 on it's own

Old toilets were fitted differantly than now and the replacement might require some tiling as well, PS, the new toilets are also ceramic too! the plastic are the cheapies.

Excellent, Thanks for that everyone, gives me a bit of guidance.

I would just leave the current one there but an Old Peach Colour Ceramic Toilet is not my cup of tea when modernising a house. Hopefully its not too old in styling & is a direct replacement, as per Craigb, the house was only built in 1989.

Cheers

:D

Actually on the topic, what is the depreciation rate for the toilet? I guess I could get the plumber to write repairs on the invoice making it an instant write off.

Being a replacement I would presume it is normally only depreciable and not a straight deduction?

Thanks BV. Just called a local plumber and he said $120 to remove and replace, thats a great price considering I would probably waste half a day or more doing it myself (& can claim it anyways, so real labour cost to me is $80).

Ill pick up a decent toilet today and get it done.

Thanks Everyone

I replaced a toilet in our ip myself, I left the toilet base just got a water saving cistern and seat kit. Cost. $150 all up. The old cistern was lime green and used about 1000 litres per flush lol

I was talking to my PM this week and the new water rates system which charges for all water will be a problem. We will be paying 67c/kl and I assume you will be about the same. The PM says we will not simply be able to pass the water bill onto the tenants unless there are flow restrictors on all taps, shower heads are approved design and toilets are the new 6.5 lt design.

I fitted one of the new toilets recently and it is surprising how little water they use, and how good they are, nevertheless. I got my suite for $250 from Reece but that was half price and that work should be done by a plumber. You may also have to plug some holes and repaint. I did.

I pay the water bill even though it goes well and above what I would normally only have to pay for. Good tenants plus I manage it myself so not overly fussed over a few hundred dollars (especially when it can be due to problems such as the toilet). They pay good rent and look after the pool themselves as well. Nice tenants actually, had them for 2 years now.

Given the ever increasing price of water & electricity I guess we have no choice but to be water and power conscious

I replaced a toilet in our ip myself, I left the toilet base just got a water saving cistern and seat kit. Cost. $150 all up. The old cistern was lime green and used about 1000 litres per flush lol

You do need to be careful with changing just the cistern as the base is
usually designed with the cistern in mind, so some new water saving cisterns
will not disperse enough water into some old bases and this can cause blockages.

Off topic but I suspect this will be more common in the future for older units
Have a unit in Sydney and the body corporate instructed every owner to change over
to a new water saving cistern and show receipts otherwise you would be hit with a higher
strata fee. From memory it made big savings to overall water usage.

check the water companies-theres usually a gov incentive to get rid of the old single flush ones
recently did one in my house, $450 all up including plumbing work

Yeah, you need to change the pan and the cistern (which the OP is planning on doing anyway ... peach? Eeek!) or you have to flush 10 times to get anything down it anyway.

We replaced our own loo at the last house but it was a big job - the pan had been tiled in with thick crazy paving slate with about an inch thick of concrete so you practically hit yourself in the chin with your knees when you sat on it. We got a bloke in to do something weird to extend the waste pipe up, and we retiled the entire room before we put the new toilet in.

They replace them using rapid set mortar so you're only loo-less for 24 hours max, might want to send your tenants out to a sleazy motel for the night too unless you've got a second toilet.

There is another toilet in the house so thats not too much of a problem. I dont think they really use this toilet, its down the other end of the house, hence the time taken to discover the constant leak, but who knows.

Thanks Sunfish, yeah I wouldnt just change one or the other unless it was more modern and I could find a matching Cistern. Although a Peach Bowl with white Cistern would really set the place off :eek:

not :D

Actually on the topic, what is the depreciation rate for the toilet? I guess I could get the plumber to write repairs on the invoice making it an instant write off.

Being a replacement I would presume it is normally only depreciable and not a straight deduction?

Psst! before you run out and buy a new one , measure the off set, first, its the measurement beetween the wall and the center of the sewer pipe, ;)

Back