Replacing a window frame Perth

Hi all,

Hoping I can brain pick experienced developers!

We are building our PPOR at the moment. Builders just poured first floor slab so window frames are in downstairs. We've realised we screwed up in having a normal window at one end of the open plan room father than a full length window that will allow small pool to be seen. and bring in more light. Have just called window supplier - their price for new fixed window panels will be about $1850 incl GST (this is for 3 fixed panels total 3.1 metres wide about 2.4 tall - 2 commercial panels would add at least $2k to that I'm told). Builders will add their margin plus labour plus management cost to take out existing frame and cut out bricks below - should not be any structural issues as there is lintel for current window and there is no electrical/plumbing in that wall. Costs may end up ok.

Question is - anyone know if I will need to go to Council for this? Also any comments on pricing would be appreciated!

Thanks very much.

Maggie

I don't believe you need to go to Council but you're builder will know.

Sorry I have no idea how much a window that size costs but those charges don't sound too unreasonable for such a large window

Hi all,

Hoping I can brain pick experienced developers!

We are building our PPOR at the moment. Builders just poured first floor slab so window frames are in downstairs. We've realised we screwed up in having a normal window at one end of the open plan room father than a full length window that will allow small pool to be seen. and bring in more light. Have just called window supplier - their price for new fixed window panels will be about $1850 incl GST (this is for 3 fixed panels total 3.1 metres wide about 2.4 tall - 2 commercial panels would add at least $2k to that I'm told). Builders will add their margin plus labour plus management cost to take out existing frame and cut out bricks below - should not be any structural issues as there is lintel for current window and there is no electrical/plumbing in that wall. Costs may end up ok.

Question is - anyone know if I will need to go to Council for this? Also any comments on pricing would be appreciated!

Thanks very much.

Maggie

i dont think youd have to go to council, its a pretty basic change.

Im curious though, why is your builder charging you both a margin AND a project management cost?

Thanks very much guys for the feedback - much appreciated.

Builder will charge margin + fixed variation fee + labour for the work and who knows what else

Thanks very much guys for the feedback - much appreciated.

Builder will charge margin + fixed variation fee + labour for the work and who knows what else

ah ok yes thats standard. out of curiosity, what is your variation fee? Ive seen wildly varying fees, from $0 to $695 (which is ridiculous imo)

Back