Replacing Old Wall Ovens and cooktops which are different sizes to new standards

Hi All,
I am needing to replace a wall oven in an IP in Perth, that is about 18 years old. The cabinetry is quite tight around the existing unit that measures approx 545mm wide and 658 mm High.
Of course the new standards for wall overs are around 60cm x 60cm.
The existing gas cook top is too big for a new samller replacement leaving a bigger hole in the laminated benchtop - Short of a renovated kitchen, does any one have any other answers/ suggestions
thanks in advance

You could try gumtree. I bought a second hand oven to replace mine that is less than 1cm too big on each side. I have enough room in the existing cabinet to increase the size to fit the new oven.

I had this on my Ballarat house. Kitchen is old but top quality solid cabinetry. The original (c.1975) St George cooktop and oven were the problems:

Cooktop: it measured about 900x400 (4 rings in a row), no gas, and the only replacement I could find that would fit was an Electrolux induction top. I bit the bullet. When it came to fitting it, what I thought was dirt on the laminate turned out to be a scorch mark - solved ($200!) by getting a stainless steel sheet frame that covered it. Apparently this is a not uncommon way of fixing a smaller top in a larger opening. You probably need to reduce the opening size with battens to properly support the top.

Oven: the existing was about 700mm wide (opposite problem to yours) so I made a timber frame that reduced the opening down to about 570mm Kudos to Haymes Paint: the guy spent 20 minutes mixing different colour stains to match my existing cabinetry, then said that he'd give me half a tin and charge accordingly as this would be plenty for my needs.

I replaced an old wall oven in one of my IPs - like you, I found the newer ovens weren't as tall.

I went to a second hand building supply place and picked up a piece of laminate the same colour and glued it on. Pic below.

Attachments

• Kitchen 3.jpg
    Kitchen 3.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 819
Back