Replacing wooden window frames with aluminium

Hi everyone,

Would replacing wooden window frames with aluminium be worthwhile during a reno?
For a more modern feel and less maintanence. 1960s-70s brick house which will be rendered, in perth.

Would it add to the value or better off just painting old wooded frames?

Anyone done this and can provide some sort of figures to complete so I can see if its at all worthwhile?

cheers

I would say it all depends on the house, the area and what is expected in the area.

We are just removing two aluminium windows in the renovation we are doing on a stucco 1930s house. The rest are 1930s leadlights and eight pane windows, which suit the house and the area. The aluminium ones look out of place on this house and actually devalue the house, so it depends on the house.

Is the intention to improve rental returns? Reduce maintenance? Improve value?

all of the above. It will be a medium sized reno with new modern bathroom and kitchen etc. i will also be building new beside it once subdivided.

Alot of the area has been developed or being developed. nothing special with the windows just plain white wooden frames with plain glass atm so nothing really character about it.

just not sure on what sort of costs id be looking at.

cheers

Without seeing the wooden windows in question I can only make an assumption.

I have replaced many wooden windows mainly because of two reasons.

1:To restore a wooden window costs more than replacing it with an aluminum one.

2:Fly / Security screens are easy to apply.

The main reason to keep a wooden window is if you need them to catch a breeze,if you have air-conditioning,you don't really need them anyway unless it is for street appeal.

Hi,

Without seeing pics, I'd generally say that replacing all of the windows in a house is going to cost a lot of money that I couldn't imagine you would get back straight away. Aluminium windows cost anywhere from $600-$700 installed right up to $2,000 - $3,000 installed (more for very large windows or doors). If you add those up you'll be looking at (probably) a minimum of $15,000 - $20,000 for all your windows. This is of course a wild guess as I haven't seen your house yet!

Have you got some photos to post?

Here are a few tricks that, depending on the property may work well for you.

1) Replace just the road and driveway facing windows so that the street appeal of the property is improved. It's not ideal to have different window styles, so try to match in your colour with the existing windows that are remaining (or paint the existing timber windows to match the colour you select for the new aluminium windows).
2) 50mm slat wooden or white wooden blinds do an excellent job of hiding imperfections on the inside face of the windows. If you can't get a perfect job for the interior sides of the windows and frames, consider installing these

Hope that helps. Feel free to post pics - I'm sure you'll get some clearer feedback with them.

Good luck!

I'm with Jane.
I think there's no way you'd recoup your outlay of possibly tens on thousands for new windows.
If there's nothing wrong with the current ones, I'd let them be.

I just replaced 9 large sliding aluminium windows in my house (all of them).

I bought the windows direct (no builder markup) for around $1900 for all of them. We also added crimsafe to all the windows (which added another $2K).

Paid our builder who had been doing some other work to fit them. He charged around 1000+GST.

Overall it was a really cheap job I think, considering our windows close and lock now, whereas they didn't really do that before.

If there is nothing mechanically wrong with yours, there is a company that takes the sliders out sands everything, paints it all, new hardware, rollers and felt. I'm not sure of the price but should be cheaper than new.

Thanks for your replies.

They are not sliding they are push open. Some have chain winders on to open and close. Nothing wrong with them really. All the paints flaking off and some of the glass is loose.

I will try and get photos on tonight

I think there would be 4 double size and one massive one which was thinking of replacing with ranchslider. These are the street front ones and are around 11 in total incl tiny bathroom and laundry ones etc.

The other thing is tennants requested flyscreens as part of the tenancy and i have quotes of around 2.5k to do this so didnt want to throw this at it now if im going to replace them.

Just dont wont the reno to look shabby and want to maximise bang for buck and not overcaptalise in this area.

Cheers

In all cases I know where timber is removed for aluminum the end result is less not more. It wrecks the home.

Timber looks great, and style is in the eye of the beholder.

I vote: Get new blinds and to get flyscreens, simply buy flywire and fix timber beads to the timber windows your slef for $100 plus your time. YOu can even buy adjustable metal frame screens but they look average.

Regards, Peter

In all cases I know where timber is removed for aluminum the end result is less not more. It wrecks the home.

Timber looks great, and style is in the eye of the beholder.

I vote: Get new blinds and to get flyscreens, simply buy flywire and fix timber beads to the timber windows your slef for $100 plus your time. YOu can even buy adjustable metal frame screens but they look average.

Regards, Peter

+1

Wooden window frames are more expensive than aluminium because they are better. They are far better at sound and noise insulation, look better and are more classic to boot. All window frames require maintenance at some point. Give your wooden frames some love and you will have a classic product rather than just what everyone else has got.

Thanks for your feedback. I will attach some photos and see if that changes the thoughts.

Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 806
The money spent on replacing timber with aluminium would be better spent on sanding and repainting the wooden ones, and reputtying where needed IMO.

The thing that stood out from that photo is the asbestos roof. I hardly noticed the windows :D.

I reckon get rid of the green colour on the timber, paint the roof and do up the windows. You could probably do all that for the same cost of putting in aluminium.

This is exactly the sort of feedback i was after.
I Will stick with the wooden frames and put funds to a better use.

Thanks everyone.

Back