Resheeting over asbestos wall

In the process of our whole house renovation and chaning over the old electric internal hot water system to an external solar system, the plumber needed to make a whole or two in the laundry wall, which turns out to be asbestos.

I now have 2 choices:

• remove the entire wall professionally and resheet
  • just resheet over the existing asbestos wall

My preference would be for option 2. Anyone have any differing opinions to this, or suggestions as to what I should resheet with (gyprock, villaboard etc.)

Cheers.

Laundry is wet area. So gyprock but use the gyprock designed for wet areas. Use adhesive to stick it on to the current wall, then tape up the joins, flush, paint. Done.:D

Hi Farmilor

In our recent reno, hubby used villaboard to gyprock one unfinished laundry wall onto wooden beams

Laundry is not a wet area like a shower recess, so don't think it will be a big issue.

Feel free to pm me if we can be of any further help.

Amelia

Laundry is wet area. So gyprock but use the gyprock designed for wet areas. Use adhesive to stick it on to the current wall, then tape up the joins, flush, paint. Done.:D

Any need to screw through the gyprock and the absestos into the studs? Or is this just overkill???

Any need to screw through the gyprock and the absestos into the studs? Or is this just overkill???
It's asbestos, you don't want to disturb it at all. I'm surprised the plumber put a hole in it.

Just glue the sheets on, they go sideways not up and down. You should be able to buy the gypcrock glue where you purchase the sheets from. I think Bunnings sell all the stuff, we have a Boral plaster board dealer just up the road and they carry all the bits as well as having some good advice.

Regards
Graeme

plumber needed to cap off the pipes, and couldn't get to them under the house.

Have plenty of gyprock stud adhesive left over from other rooms, should do the trick.

Thanks for the advice :)

Back