Retirement in Australia...Where?

Just reading a thread on Hervey bay and thinking about Mandurah, Margaret river etc in WA and pondering some of the great locations we have available in Australia.

I also found this on the wide, wide world of web source

Australia’s Best

New South Wales
Port Macquarie
Ballina
Tweed Valley
Murwillimbah

Victoria
Torquay (near Geelong)
Bass Coast (Inverloch, Wonthaggi, Phillip Island)
Echuca (on the Murray River)

Western Australia
Mandurah (south of Perth)
Geraldton

Queensland
Toowoomba
Bribie Island

South Australia
Victor Harbor
Copper Coast (Kadina, Wallaroo, Moonta)

Tasmania
St Helens
Tamar Valley

Financial checklist – six tips

• Consider renting in the location of your choice. House-sit or even caravan before you buy.
  • Subscribe to the local newspaper for at least 12 months before you move. This provides a good source of jobs, real estate and what’s happening in the community.
  • Research the utilities and services. Does the mobile phone work? Is there internet connection and educational services? This is particularly important if you are running a home-based business. Also check local services such as the nearest mechanic or electrician.
  • Will your new home require major renovations? Is it 'older body friendly?’ For instance, you may need to replace slippery surfaces. Or will you eventually need to move because of stairs? “We know of one couple who moved north of their old home to buy their dream home, only to have to sell it again when one partner required a wheelchair. Then they had to move into a home that was not their dream home, because they couldn't afford to move back to Sydney,” recalls Jill Weeks.
  • Jill says the biggest financial risk involved in moving to a dream location is making a mistake and having to move again. Stamp duty, legal fees, removal costs and new furnishings can easily add $30,000 to each move.

If you had the opportunity and choice available, where would be your choice of retirement place in Australia be?

Tasmania, for example, has the cleanest air in the world.

My old man said he'd choose "Elsewhere" as the weatherman always says "elsewhere's fine".

I realise everyone is different, but where would you choose to spend your Golden Years...and Why?

Where?

I'm considering multiple places, Australian and overseas. To be further researched. I've already seen much of Australia and parts of the world, so, just some fine tuning required.

Why?

Because I can, because I love many places, many cultures and many experiences. The one requisite is avoid extreme cold and extreme heat, so timing, and the season will be off importance in the planning.

For me it's going to be somewhere warm and humid. Growing up on the far north coast of nsw and with qld always feeling like my home state I'm thinking somewhere in the far north. Just have to spend a reasonable amount of time there to see what feels like home.

Home for the time being is in melb and can't wait to get out of the place!

I too want several acres - walking distance to the beach and 30 mins drive to a major town. Not asking too much am I? :D

The problem with retirement towns is they're full of old people :)

Quite like where I am though, not sure why I'd go moving somewhere else. Would probably get a different house if its just the two of us though, but its going to be another 17 odd years before we get rid of the kiddies and I don't think that far into the future.

If a location really appeals why wait till retirement.

Personally I'd stay put because I love where I live, and regularly visit these types of locations instead - like I do now :D.

Down the track when my second child is more independent I plan on regularly going overseas where my close relatives live - Greece, Italy, Macedonia and France - like my other relatives that live here do now.

But if I HAD to pick a place here it would have to be Tassie, for half the year.

Victor Harbor or Copper Coast for retirement in South Aust. Sounds like hell to me.:eek: My preference is an inner suburb house near the parklands. Each to their own.

I used to think I would like to end up somewhere on the Sunshine coast eventually , maybe Coolum beach or the near hinterland . Not so sure any more . Obviously in your later years you would want to be near good medical facilities and the like . (I'm 45 )

The Idea of spending my summers at Port Fairy/Warrnambool and winters at Coolum beach sounds pretty snappy to me . But then I'm sure there are lots of nice places I've not been to yet ...

Isn't "retirement" as such just a working class mentality anyway and us investors/entrepenuers never really retire ?

Dazz is obviously very happy with his pad and all over in Perth and I recall him saying that financial freedom is such a wonderous thing . I wanna be like him:cool:

Surely you retire where your heart is?

Too far away for me to really think of clealry, but the first thing that comes to my mind when people mention moving here or there (like the nub mer of people who've mentioned SE Asia to me in real life etc), is "What about family & friends etc" I know there are people everywhere & there might not really be anything particularly special about my friends or family, but there kind of is to me...

I'm also rethinking this as I get that little bit closer...I once (not that long ago either) thought somewhere Down South W.A. near the beach would be absolutely perfect.

But for some reason I can't get the Cook Islands out of my head.

I'd love to have a place there that rents out a couple of apartments/units to tourists and spend my daze beachcombing and tending my own food garden while taking on the local lifestyle of smiling and giggiling and enjoying most of all the day that is presented. I couldn't care less for computers and TV's and cars etc....give me a simple life....in a tropical beachside location.:cool:

Maybe that's too much to ask...?:confused:

Sounds very tempting in this hectic world ... but I suspect that after a few months you'd either be sossled 24/7 (that's tipsy drunk) or bored brainless.

Too far away for me to really think of clealry, but the first thing that comes to my mind when people mention moving here or there (like the nub mer of people who've mentioned SE Asia to me in real life etc), is "What about family & friends etc" I know there are people everywhere & there might not really be anything particularly special about my friends or family, but there kind of is to me...

A big factor for me too. I have a few friendships that have spanned a lifetime, before we even start talking family and relatives (cousins are more like siblings to me)... and there are a few of them.

It's one of the main reasons i would not move too far away permanently.

Sounds very tempting in this hectic world ... but I suspect that after a few months you'd either be sossled 24/7 (that's tipsy drunk) or bored brainless.
Yup, personally I'm happy to keep busy working from home with the luxury of being able to work in my pajamas and being able to go outside and play with the kiddliwinks if I feel like it.

Nothing to do = bored bored bored. You can't play golf and search for seashells all day every day.

I'm bored & sossled with this life as it is....! It's not hectic here at all...

It's funny how all this wealth building and go-getting goes around and around in peoples heads and yet I do take pride in making sure I enjoy every minute of my days without being under any real great pressure from anyone or anything.
My penchant for material things has diminished off of a relatively low ceiling to start with. it's more about actually living each day for me.
I get imense pleasure in taking great photos of beautiful landscapes...but even more pleasure just taking in the scene without taking the photo..

I'm a bit of a loner, not many really like me much around here (small town syndrome) because i say what I think, not what I think I "should" say to keep friends/network etc.
True to my feelings ...and before anyone says anything, I am considerate and caring of humanity.:D

My true friends & associates (the people who understand me) take my word for what it is and we are friends forever....but remain friends that don't need each other to be around constantly. We catch up after years sometimes and it always seems like only yesterday...you know..?

The older I'm getting the more I think....island and isolation. Of course some wealth will be required to come and go (I didn't say I'd live there forever without leaving) however, I can live with myself.;) Done it for years in the past so I know what it's like.

I don't speak for my wife though, it's too big a move...yet..and I would not leave her in pref. for my idea of the ideal life in retirement.

See...I'm not that bad...:D

In the end I can see actually that no matter where you retire, so long as you can be happy each day and do the day to day things YOU like doing then who cares what the scenery is like.

Health wise...well, eat right and you will live & die a natural life.

As you can see I've got it all worked out....NOT !! LOL!

Back