Retirement in Australia...Where?

Some heavy price reductions in Byron Bay at present. Magic spot - but everyone wants a piece of it which is why I live 15 min north. 30 min to Gold Coast airport and less than 1.5 hr to Brissie. Not for everyone but still quite beautiful coast and hinterland with great subtropical climate.

Okay - small city :D

Get very spolit here in Newcastle as have everything that places like Sydney has (except and Ikea!!!!), but less than 20mins to anywhere - beaches, major shopping centres, large lake for boating, movies, Bunnings.

A lot of the big acts also come here too as they often do their first Australian performace here to iron out any kinks. Off to see Icehouse next month ... not that they are a big act anymore!

Choice of private hospitals and biggest public outside Sydney for when getting old ... mind you Byron is looking good ...

Okay - small city :D

Get very spolit here in Newcastle as have everything that places like Sydney has (except and Ikea!!!!), but less than 20mins to anywhere - beaches, major shopping centres, large lake for boating, movies, Bunnings.

A lot of the big acts also come here too as they often do their first Australian performace here to iron out any kinks. Off to see Icehouse next month ... not that they are a big act anymore!

Choice of private hospitals and biggest public outside Sydney for when getting old ... mind you Byron is looking good ...

I like hervey bay better my brother lives in northern nsw coast.

You'll find everything you have Just mentioned is also in Hervey bay you would be suprised how many relocate from sydney...

Right here in Dromana.

Loads of golf, wineries, restaurants, beaches, walks, riding, cinemas, drive-in, markets (I enjoy a strong dis-interest in markets, myself), not far from civilisation if you must.....and all the old folk are dying off and leaving the holiday houses to the kids, so we are enjoying a pensioner cleanout. ;)

Last edited:
Right here in Dromana.

Loads of golf, wineries, restaurants, beaches, walks, riding, cinemas, drive-in, markets (I enjoy a strong dis-interest in markets, myself), not far from civilisation if you must.....and all the old folk are dying off and leaving the holiday houses to the kids, so we are enjoying a pensioner cleanout. ;)

Did Dromana for last New Year in a holiday house with a whole bunch of the family there. Blimmin' wet and windy was my take on the place! Then again, I wouldn't mind one of those ritzy places on the canal thingy. I'm sure the weather favours the locals mostly. ;)

Did Dromana for last New Year in a holiday house with a whole bunch of the family there. Blimmin' wet and windy was my take on the place!

That's Melbourne weather for you.
Last week it was good though which I found unusual....

That's Melbourne weather for you.
Last week it was good though which I found unusual....

Yep, lived there for a few years myself. Awful. But trust me, it ain't got nothing on Tokyo - Siberian winters, Borneoan summers. Argh!

Can I blame Melbourne for the last week's weather? Cold, wet and foggy with intermittent downpours. Brand new house = loads of mud. Great weather to be having carpets put in and attempting to fit downpipes *sigh*

Did Dromana for last New Year in a holiday house with a whole bunch of the family there. Blimmin' wet and windy was my take on the place! Then again, I wouldn't mind one of those ritzy places on the canal thingy. I'm sure the weather favours the locals mostly. ;)

The Christmas - New Year week is laughable on the MP.

Most years the weather is fowl, and all the campers on the foreshore get drowned. Occasionally we get a good one.

It's beyond me how they keep turning up year in, year out on the same week for the same punishment. I mean; ya gotta admire their persistence, but geez; move to another location that's hotter with consistency during the same period of time.

The best time to be here is when the schools go back....all the "Terrorists" (you :D) are gone, the weather is great, the bay is warmer and we have the place to ourselves again.

Last edited:
G'Day

We've already bought for Retirement

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25708

and interestingly, redwing, yours is the last comment in that thread, dated 03-11-2009.

Since then, alack and alas, apart from paying out squidgillions in architect's fees (don't get me started on architects!) we are really no further advanced than in November, 2009.

However, we have just sent off yet another cheque and engaged a builder this time, so in our endless naivety we hope that this will eventuate in a house for us to live in.

But I digress:

We chose Chelsea because we didn't want to be 'too far away'. Chelsea is 40 kms from where we have lived for 30 years but as all the Children are now scattered, the home town is not as important as it used to be

So now it's time for Mike and I to build, and enjoy, the inheritance while we are all alive to enjoy it.

Plus, City of Kingston has excellent health and aged care facilities, we have direct access via East Link to 'back home' should we wish to visit friends or have them come and visit us, and we will be within the 'Taxi Zone' so whenever our Children are in town they can easily come and stay, and commute to the CBD by train if need be.

We hope that the salty air of the Bay will pickle and preserve us and that we shall have many happy years enjoying the fruits of our labours.

All we need, is someone who actually wants to build us the house, and we'll be there!

Cheers
Kristine

Port Stephens, Nelson Bay Shoal Bay etc :D

I'll second that...only give me the other side (Hawks Nest) of the bay anyday.;)

Great place with a boat though, can takin in shopping one side or quiet life the other...hey sounds like a great place for me to retire and get sossled...LOL!:)

The best time to be here is when the schools go back....all the "Terrorists" (you :D) are gone, the weather is great, the bay is warmer and we have the place to ourselves again.

I hear that the the MP hosts Vic's most expensive and exclusive seaside properties, so it must be attractive on some level. Blue-rinse, blow-wave, blue blood, principally perhaps?

But you need cringe no more!

I personally advocate a nightly booze bus business (or four?); you know, transmitting the vocal vibrancy of a carousing Frankson youth en masse, celebrating the merriment and mirth of uninhibited excess as they do, into downtown Dromana, for your deeper cultural appreciation of your fellow Peninsuleans!

Line up! For the magical Mystery Tour. Dromana, here ... we ... come!!! :D

However, we have just sent off yet another cheque and engaged a builder this time, so in our endless naivety we hope that this will eventuate in a house for us to live in.

That's great news Kristine - I sometimes wander past to see whether a start's been made.

There's also lots of other stuff happening - a new boardwalk for the beach, redevelopment of the Strand (notices up for both) and a major council-sponsored project for the station about to get under way.

Also those flats we saw auctioned are finally getting some building action after 6 mths or so of idleness. They're keeping the building structure but doing a total refit so it will be like new.

Back