retiring overseas?

Retiring overseas

Hiya

My girlfriend's uncle's marriage broke up (he's in his 50s). Together with his good mate (also marriage broke up after 30 years), they opened a boutique hotel in Lijiang (south west china). It used to be known as the Shangri la of China. I was there backpacking 15 years ago and it felt like i have fallen
into a time trap! (ala Lost Horizon).
It was that magical. Anyway, according to them, they felt free after a long long time and it's as if they have been given a second chance in life!

Hubby and i plan to lock up our huge 5 Bedroom PPOR in sydney after the kids have flown the roost, rent it out and semi retire, definitely in Asia. He can teach English or something like that...get toknow the local culture etc.
Not for us, the lawn bowls and RSLs!

cheers

Hi Shuggy

Last time I was there (10 years or so ago) the humidity was unbearable, the pollution was very high and Bangkok traffic was chaotic.
We had a few good nights there but outdoors in the daytime wasn't fun.

Is it still the same?

I also remember going into one of those night clubs where at the entrance they were telling us come in the show is free but as we later found out they wouldn't let us leave if we didn't pay for the show.

My Scotch companion refused to pay and after a lot of arguments they eventually let us go but it wasn't a pleasant experience...:eek:

I never went back after that

Yes Bangkok is still a chaotic city which i only visit when meeting friends. I live in a beachside city 2hrs drive away. It sounds like you visited Patpong which is notorious for scamming tourists into paying inflated prices for drinks and show. If you want to see that sort of stuff you're better off going to Nana Plaza in Sukhumvit Soi 4 or Soi Cowboy near Asoke. But don't be an LDOP and pay more than 1,000 baht for LT :)

Hi Shuggy

Last time I was there (10 years or so ago) the humidity was unbearable, the pollution was very high and Bangkok traffic was chaotic.
We had a few good nights there but outdoors in the daytime wasn't fun.

Is it still the same?

I also remember going into one of those night clubs where at the entrance they were telling us come in the show is free but as we later found out they wouldn't let us leave if we didn't pay for the show.

My Scotch companion refused to pay and after a lot of arguments they eventually let us go but it wasn't a pleasant experience...:eek:

I never went back after that

I don't think the weather in that part of the world has chagned that much, so whadya reckon ?

Seedy people running seedy clubs ? .....who'd have thought it happened ?! who would think it only happens in Thailand !

Does your Scottish friend know you call him a drink ?

It sounds like you visited Patpong which is notorious for scamming tourists into paying inflated prices for drinks and show

Yes that's the area, we spent about a month there and travelled around a bit but we preferred to stay close to the cities and the coast to avoid catching malaria

Back