Rezone to Residential

Is it possible to buy a big block of industrial zone, the rezone into residential and subdivide to build a couple townhouse as I have found that prize per sqm of some industrial is quite less compared to residential land.

Im sure local councils would just JUMP at the idea to have residential zoning mixed in with industrial!:rolleyes:

The only way to find this out is talk to the town planner.

Well, I guess anything is possible.

In Dandenong at the moment there are small chunks of Industrial properties have they Precinct Zones allowing for the conversion of these properties to Residential Uses. There areas are central to Dandenong, having been surrounded by residential uses rather than being straight Industrial such is found in Dandenong South. However, it appears that there are plentiful resi development land in Dandenong so the market isn't currently interested in the Industrial properties.

Industrial in Collingwood has been rezoned in recent years although I think that was Ind 3 to Bus 3 mostly so not really residential though there may have been some Mixed Use.

But in general I would have though Councils would be most reluctant to see a green field Industrial subdivision rezoned to residential.

Well, anything is possible. Statistically speaking.

Is it likely to happen? No. Not unless it is surrounded by existing residential zoned land, or is part of an area wide rezoning strategy.

Even then, you would have potentially huge costs for site remediation works.

Not too uncommon - a recent rezoning in Lane Cove resulted in a pocket of industrial property being rezoned to high density residential in the new LEP. The eventual sale of a estate which is still going through due diligence is to yield the owner a fair profit as reflected in the move in their share price (approx 20% increase).

For land to be removed the council needs to make a recommendation to the relevant minister. So even council wanted to, it could knocked back at the department level.

I wouldn't buy land hoping, expecting or less effective preying for a rezone.

why not just look at the TPS and see if single / grouped dwelling is a permitted or discretionary use in that zone?

no need to re-zone anything if that's the case - just need to prove context and amenity.

i have one in a comm area recently - single house was a "d" use - just created the DAP with a clause "single house complying with DAP is deemed a permitted use" and i got 11 units facing a resi street backing onto a retail precinct with no planning approval needed (except for the DAP).

Back