Rich.. Bankrupt.. Rich Again (Wolf of Wall Street)

Who know's the truth :confused:

'Wolf of Wall Street' Jordan Belfort bending truth, says US government

The inconsistencies in Belfort and the US government's versions of events look set to continue, as the 51-year-old took to Facebook in late December to inform the world that he would be using 100 per cent of his profits from the film towards repaying investors.
Advertisement
"For the record, I am not turning over 50% of the profits of the books and the movie, which was what the government had wanted me to do. Instead, I insisted on turning over 100% of the profits of both books and the movie, which is to say, I am not making a single dime on any of this. This should amount to countless millions of dollars and hopefully be more than enough to pay back anyone who is still out there."

Robert Nardoza, a spokesman for the US Attorney in Brooklyn, released a statement, as reported by the New York Times, saying: "Belfort's Facebook comments are substantially inaccurate. The government has seen nothing to suggest that even 100 per cent of Belfort's profits from his book and the movie Wolf of Wall Street would yield, in his words, 'countless millions', much less the approximately $100 million that is still owed to the victims."

The book, along with the sequel, Catching the Wolf of Wall Street, paved the way for Belfort to become one of the world's most well-known motivational speakers, and eventually this feature film release. For the most part, reception to the controversial former stockbroker has been supportive, particularly on another recent Facebook post where he addressed critics, labelling them "The best PR in the world".

he came to Australia several years ago (just after GFC) for a 'motivational speech' that cost attendencies money.

There was an article by Marcus Padley on it at the time. He attended at the time.

Now I am no fan of Marcus Padley (too influenced by current financial affairs of the time).

But on this instance I have to hand it to him.

Paid money because he wanted to hear the 'whoo har' first instance.
Left with a bitter taste in his mouth.

Wasn't interested in paying the 'additional follow up money for additional information'

he came to Australia several years ago (just after GFC) for a 'motivational speech' that cost attendencies money.

There was an article by Marcus Padley on it at the time. He attended at the time.

Now I am no fan of Marcus Padley (too influenced by current financial affairs of the time).

But on this instance I have to hand it to him.

Paid money because he wanted to hear the 'whoo har' first instance.
Left with a bitter taste in his mouth.

Wasn't interested in paying the 'additional follow up money for additional information'

Watched the movie last night, shocking, what was the Director thinking, I would not recommend this movie, its probably one of the worst I have seen.

The book was great but they have not been able to interpret this with the movie.

MTR

PBS Frontline ran an interesting piece recently called "To Catch a Trader" about insider trading

FRONTLINE correspondent Martin Smith goes inside the dramatic hunt that uncovered the biggest insider trading scandal in U.S. history, drawing on exclusively-obtained video of hedge fund titan Steven A. Cohen, incriminating FBI wiretaps, and interviews with both Wall Street and Justice Department insiders.

Preview here

Watched the movie last night, shocking, what was the Director thinking, I would not recommend this movie, its probably one of the worst I have seen.

The book was great but they have not been able to interpret this with the movie.

MTR

What was it that was so bad? Bad acting? Bad storyline? Hard to follow?

I'm trying to decide whether to bother seeing it.

What was it that was so bad? Bad acting? Bad storyline? Hard to follow?

I'm trying to decide whether to bother seeing it.

Don't do it unless you want to hear bad language, storyline which completely misses the most important factors, people jumping on each others bones..... yes, non stop. Give it a big miss I can tell you very disappointed.

Famous actors... Leonardo DiCap, even he can not save it, I think director is Scoresse (spell), he sure got it wrong.

Go see Prisoners, this was very good, Hugh Jackman

Don't do it unless you want to hear bad language, storyline which completely misses the most important factors, people jumping on each others bones..... yes, non stop. Give it a big miss I can tell you very disappointed.

Famous actors... Leonardo DiCap, even he can not save it, I think director is Scoresse (spell), he sure got it wrong.

Haven't read the books but saw the Movie, what was so different?

The movie starts off with Jordan working as a stockbroker, however the book describes/tells the more detailed story how he got there, how he started off, getting accepted into Dentistry, other many business ventures, his family.

The book has many interesting details on the person which I found fascinating, from this it was easy to see how he would be able to rise again.

Go see Prisoners, this was very good, Hugh Jackman

I advise people not to see it because of the graphic sex scenes, full frontal nudity, drug taking and liberal use of the C and F word. I've read the book and thought it was pretty bad too. Scorsese is my favorite director so I was disappointed in this. I laughed when I read some were saying it's his best movie since Goodfellas.

I must admit though, the boat scene/rescue was very funny.

However, he mentioned 3 people lost their lives trying to save them.

Absolutely understand, have you read the book, so funny, absolutely could not put it down.

yes I read the book, if you are looking for entertainment, then just like a movie it might be time well spent.

If you are looking to learn anything, then its a complete waste of time.

I sacrificed 10 odd hours of my life for zero return:mad:

yes I read the book, if you are looking for entertainment, then just like a movie it might be time well spent.

If you are looking to learn anything, then its a complete waste of time.

I sacrificed 10 odd hours of my life for zero return:mad:

And by the way I did learn quite a bit from the original "wall street movie", so no its not just about intrinsic value looking at purely investment techniques

IV
Not sure what you expected other than entertainment??

Wall Street was great, but Gekko was fiction.

I would think there are better ways to educate than going to the movies.

Last edited:
IV
Not sure what you expected other than entertainment??

Wall Street was great, but Gekko was fiction.

I would think there are better ways to educate than going to the movies.

yes Gekko was fiction, but the original Wall Street movie was incredibly intelligent. I still learn things from watching it for the umpteen time.

Back