RIP Nelson Mandela

Very true....and well said!

Mandela was securely locked up in jail on Robben Island from 1964 to 1990. During this time he has little contact with the rest of the world. He was not even allowed to attend his son's funeral in 1969. When Malcolm Fraser managed to visit him in the 1980s, he noted that Mandela slept in a tiny cell with a worn, thin blanket. No phone, no TV or radio. Totally cut off from the world. Every letter he received was carefully scrutinized. His application to study externally, at a post grad level, turned down.

It's ludicrous to suggest that Mandela was in control of the ANC between 1964-1990, when he was imprisoned, or that he had anything to do with the violence that took place in SA during this time.

Ting Tong - you refer to the deaths of two uniformed SA Defence Force personnel in 1988. Some would call it collateral damage. Whatever you call it, Mandela had nothing to do with that event as he was locked up in jail at the time and incommunicado.

Mandela could easily have installed himself, like Mugabe et al, as President for Life. He did not. He was a hugely unifying force - a true peacemaker, never afraid to criticize some of his more corrupt successors.

I'm unhappy at some of the disinformation on this thread. It makes me wonder about some of my fellow investors.

The mods deleted my reference to Mandela's "crimes." To contradict Kathryn (whose post remains) Mandela never stood trial for murder. Nobody in his right mind could accuse him of that.

The charges were 1. Sabotage 2. Treason

Judgement: Guilty

Sentence: Life in Prison with Hard Labor

One of Mandela's great role models was Mahatma Gandhi. For those who are interested, Gandhi helped start the African National Congress before returning to India to push for Independence from Britain.

I am very disturbed at some of the posts on this thread.

Mandela was securely locked up in jail on Robben Island from 1964 to 1990. During this time he has little contact with the rest of the world. He was not even allowed to attend his son's funeral in 1969. When Malcolm Fraser managed to visit him in the 1980s, he noted that Mandela slept in a tiny cell with a worn, thin blanket. No phone, no TV or radio. Totally cut off from the world. Every letter he received was carefully scrutinized. His application to study externally, at a post grad level, turned down.

It's ludicrous to suggest that Mandela was in control of the ANC between 1964-1990, when he was imprisoned, or that he had anything to do with the violence that took place in SA during this time.

He left Robben island in 1982. Fraser did not visit him there. It was during his time there that he was punished for reading smuggled newspapers and also during this time that he managed to smuggle his autobiography out to London and carry on his LLB studies which he completed while still imprisoned.

Did he "sign off" on bombings? I don't know, but it is naive in the extreme to believe he couldn't communicate given he was able to smuggle in and out this material.

he was punished for reading smuggled newspapers and also during this time that he managed to smuggle his autobiography out l.

Ooooh what a terrible crime. Reading a newspaper. Lucky he wasn't shot for that.

It is well documented that Mandela contracted TB in prison. I suppose there will always be a lunatic fringe of emigre Rhodesians and South Africans (many of whom are now happily living in Australia) who will suggest that he deliberately infected himself in order to get the worlds sympathy.

Ooooh what a terrible crime. Reading a newspaper. Lucky he wasn't shot for that.

It is well documented that Mandela contracted TB in prison. I suppose there will always be a lunatic fringe of emigre Rhodesians and South Africans (many of whom are now happily living in Australia) who will suggest that he deliberately infected himself in order to get the worlds sympathy.

What a churlish response. Did you deliberately miss my rather basic point?

I will spell it out more plainly for you. You said it was impossible for him to communicate with the outside world while in prison. I presented you with evidence to prove that is BS. He got things in, he got things out.

I don't know if he ordered bombings, but given he was in prison with other ANC leaders and clearly had the means to communicate outside, it is reasonable to assume they were aware of these events and had the ability to express an "opinion".

By the way, I agree he achieved great things and should rightly be remembered as a hero in many ways.

Despite the saint image of Gandhi, there are many Indians don't like him. Again, the media plays a major role there.
I reckon if I shaved my head, wore funny specs, and walked around in a sheet all the time, I'd lose a few friends too. :D

I'd certainly lose a wife....

Hang on; an idea!

Only joking.

Back