Rockhampton Flooding: For Owners of investments here

If anyone is concerned about their investment properties in Rocky I am happy to offer first hand advice on your property situation regarding the upcoming inundation of water heading into Rocky.

Some areas that will come under threat:

Depot Hill, Lakes Creek, Wandal, Nerimberra, Park Avenue, Rockhampton City Centre, small parts of Berserker and parts of Gracemere

Rather than anyone panick please keep in mind not all parts of these suburbs will go under..

Rocky is a reasonable size town and the impact the floods will have on most of the town will be minimal..

The media will milk this story dry however if its a quiet news week...

The areas that will go under have done so many times previously.

The issue for locals up this way is how high the flood will go as its the million dollar question currently.

Anyway if you need any info please either post online or PM me, Ill check several times a day for any inquiries that maybe forthcoming.

I am keeping an eye on several colleagues properties up this way in the flood zone so a few more wont be an issue.

I can rule your property in or out pretty quick as to any possible issues next week.

Cheers

i wouldnt hold 100% faith in that council pdf.........they cant fix potholes up here so no guarantees with their flood map...its really a guide at best.

the area has changed greatly since 1954 when the river went to 9.4mtrs and this is what the council is using to guage things..

Its fine, I think that mainly the Boyne Valley is affected with flooded roads, check out The Gladstone Observer.

yep happy rocks no dramas at all.

more rain maybe headed for qld later this week however, new low developing, prob wont affect us for a week or more which will be good hopefully..

mother nature at its best currently....

In last few months I have been considering purchasing in Hay Point (near Mackay/Pioneer River) however I wonder how flooding will affect coal loading activity at Hay Point and Dalrymple Bay coal terminals.

I understand the railway lines in are cut and that coal is not being loaded. As the main employer I wonder about any flow on effects for employment (and hence rents)...however in a few months time should all be a distant memory.

By the way the Bureau of Meteorology has this to say about Rockhampton

"FITZROY RIVER:
Rises are continuing in the Fitzroy River from Riverslea to Rockhampton,
although Riverslea is now rising only very slowly. The Fitzroy River at
Rockhampton was 8.5 metres at 8:45am Saturday and rising slowly with moderate
flooding. Rises will continue with major flood levels reaching 9 metres on
Monday with further rises.

Rockhampton is expected to reach up to 9.4 metres on Wednesday. This is similar
to the 1991 (9.3m) and 1954 (9.4m) flood levels. Rockhampton river levels are
expected to remain above 8.5 metres (major) for up to 10 days. These predictions
will be revised as upstream peaks are observed."

Hello,
Was wondering if anyone knows how Mansfield Street, Wandal is going as far as flood damage? Is there much flooding there?

Hello,
Was wondering if anyone knows how Mansfield Street, Wandal is going as far as flood damage? Is there much flooding there?

No floodwater near Mansfield St........it will never be a street that floods in Rocky.
Just the usual places at Wandal, Jardine park, few homes bottom end of Oakley St that back onto the park, around the airport, bottom end of Jones St etc...

Depot Hill of course is under, water backing up East St towards derby St intersection.....always the same reason.....drainage backwater from the river...

This whole flood thing here is a media beat up like it always is....I cant see the river getting to 9.4 mtrs by Wednesday unless we have have more rain up here...same old houses in the oldest and run down areas of Rocky....most of the city is high and dry but the media wont say that as they like to overdo and stretch things to get mileage out of the situation.......

Emerald/ Theodore however are shot ducks..........the places needs= some real assistance out there and where the Govt should concentrate its efforts...

Just wondering if any locals can advise why Gladstone seems to be the only town in the region that didn't flood. Does Gladstone ever flood?

Just wondering if any locals can advise why Gladstone seems to be the only town in the region that didn't flood. Does Gladstone ever flood?

Gladstone does flood and the closest it came with this past rain was the area of Boyne Island.

Lake Awonga's spillway feeds into the Boyne River which goes out to sea via Boyne Island.

The Calliope river, and to a lesser extent Auckland creek, don't have a great deal of housing around them.

Boyne Island would generally only flood through a combination of a big high tide and the feeding of the Boyne river from the Lake Awonga spillway.

Cheers

Rooster

bringing up an old thread,

In terms of an IP, how do flood zones affect your decision making,

obviously, prices are lower, yields are higher, a property I looked at said in the last floods, water almost came into the houses, apparently 3-4 steps from the top,

Can anybody give some feedback please

bringing up an old thread,

In terms of an IP, how do flood zones affect your decision making,

obviously, prices are lower, yields are higher, a property I looked at said in the last floods, water almost came into the houses, apparently 3-4 steps from the top,

Can anybody give some feedback please

I'd imagine getting Building Insurance could be a problem even though the floor stayed above water, ... just!

Mystery

Yeah I share the same sentiments, ,there is one thats almost $80k cheaper then the next cheapest one hence Im weighing up my options, and strange thing is

on the council website there is 7m, 7.5m, 8m and 8.5m flood zones,

and basically, the property is considered flood zone, but at 7m-8m, the property is actually not flooded, and is basically surrounded by the floods, and at 8.5m half the house is flooded, obviously these are estimates!

just found it amusing

Edit: what is everyone paying for insurance for flood cover in Rockhampton, Just got a quote and its $4000 pa

Last edited:
Back