Rockhampton, QLD Which Suburb

Jacque: Yeah, Frenchville is quite a nice area... pretty much all of Frenchville is out of the flood zone, although a few streets in the eastern part towards Mt Archer have overland flow issues.

TMNT: I think you'd have trouble getting insurance for the property at 12 Berserker Street and if you could it would blow the cash flow figures to bits. You'd also potentially run into resale troubles as well being in the 9.5m flood area. I ran some figures for another property slightly further up Berserker Street (which didn't get flooded in 2011 but sits just inside the 1/100 year flood area) and had these issues when I tried to get quotes.

I'm not sure about the West Rockhampton property. I don't think it got flooded in either of the last floods but it is pretty close to an area that did get flooded both times: Rocky Airport.

Wandal and West Rocky have decent properties but they don't have much in the way of local amenities. There's only one school I know of in that area and the only other places of note are the shops on Wandal Road and the hospital to the south. Suburbs like The Range, Allenstown and Berserker are a lot closer to the amenities. A lot of stuff is within walking distance in those suburbs. Then there's Depot Hill and Koongal which I'd avoid altogether.

Berserker is a pretty big suburb, it might as well be several different suburbs. If it was, the median price in the southern third would be considerably less than the northern two-thirds, even for properties with similar houses and they tend to sit on the market longer! There's a very good reason for that.

Last edited:
Hi,
I was wondering what peoples thoughts are about the upcoming de-amalgamation of Rocky and Livingstone shires, and the flagged increased rates for property investors.

Do you think this going to affect prices and rents in the short/medium term?

Some folks in the local papers have been quite shrill about the rates, but then I would be too if I was looking at a hefty rise in holding costs.

If I read it correctly, it's only RRC trying to impose these higher rates as investors are able to "afford" them more than owner-occupiers and are able to claim them on tax.

Tad unfair that, but don't start me on RRC policies.......

Interesting the new Livingstone Shire Council (yet to be formalised) claim not to be imposing this hike.

Quest apartments

Has anyone considered investing into those new apartments? Already leased for for 10 years with a rental income of $28,500. Only $425,000 and low body corp fees.

Surprised people aren't buying

Has anyone considered investing into those new apartments? Already leased for for 10 years with a rental income of $28,500. Only $425,000 and low body corp fees.

Surprised people aren't buying

Empire Apartments?

Rocky doesn't really have much of the demographic to which apartments really appeal. It's very much about families who want yards up this way.

Ok so you didn't realise I was being sarcastic, if you are being serious then lets look at some figures.

If its a serviced apartment...
- bank wont like to fund it, 50% LVR so you need to come up with $200k+
- when investing you need to look at the cost of funds, so $200k cost of funds along with the other ~$200k+ that you would need to borrow and pay interest.
so for both total lets call it $450k @ 5% = $22,500 each year
- body corp and other fees... find them out and add that
- you say $28,500 guarantee rent sounds scary, why they need to guarantee the rent? is there no demand? what happens after year 10?

So far looks like you are coming out even with your cash if you're lucky...

Now more importantly tell me what do you think it will be worth in 10 years? My bet would be $400k if you're lucky...

10 years no Cash Flow and NO CAPITAL GROWTH...

There is a reason these things come with a rental guarantee... because there has to be something people to be suckered in with.

No I wouldn't. Agent just told me that there is a total of $5885,65 fees per year which includes body corp, council etc.

Leaves you with no room for any profit what so ever.

Norwoodman

Southbank apartments have already more than 50% presales which I understand are all but a handful to local owner occupiers.

As were the bulk of the sales of the other highrise along the river to local owner occupiers.

Cheers

John Lindeman has written a detailed analysis of Rockhampton's historical and potential future growth, which I highly recommend.

Hi,
Thanks for the insights you posted. I don't suppose you remember where you came across John Lindeman ' analysis? A google search came up blank for me.

Hi,
Thanks for the insights you posted. I don't suppose you remember where you came across John Lindeman ' analysis? A google search came up blank for me.

Hi Blueberry, and others that are interested in John Lindeman's article regarding Rockhampton. The article was published in the June 2012 issue of API magazine, who have very kindly provided a link for those of us who wish to download the article - thanks API! :)

http://www.apimagazine.com.au/downloads/how-to-benefit-from-price-ripples-and-rent-splashes

Cheers

Jen
0419 772 237

There seems to be heaps of cheap old houses for sale in rocky how is it possible to have good increases with so much stock available? Won't everyone be doing the same thing, buying & renovating? The boom I can see coming is for Bunnings and Masters.

Back