Rockhampton, QLD Which Suburb

fair enough, thanks for that, ive learnt soemthing new,

is it considered flood effected if any amount of water comes into the property even 10cm when its 2m off the ground???

obviously its better to asses based on the Q100 levels and not the 9.0m levels

so if somebody quotes "its flood free" does this mean water has never come into it even in 1918 by even 1cm?

Not sure - You'd have to be able to quantify your second and 4th paragraphs. Such statements are useless without the data.

Use the flood maps on the rrc website to give you a guide. For example something with nothing showing at say 8m and water showing at 8.5m would have up to 500mm of water in the yard.

There are very few properties in Rocky where water will enter the actual living area of the house. Sure it's not ideal to live there, but mass destruction - No !

fair enough, i see a few ads and comments by agents saying "flood free" and I was just wondering does that mean, Q100 clear?

and from an investor/OO perspective, do they assume 8.0, 8.5, 9.0 or q100 having no water is flood free?

Bunnyman. My thoughts exactly. I don't see why Yeppoon won't continue to grow in the longer term.

Thank you for replying Neil . I'd appreciate your thoughts on the impact of the recent Govt decision to approve the GKI development on Yeppoon and Rocky home prices.

Although I've been up your way only 3 times these past two years I feel the area is really under valued when compared to Gladstone.

I've been told a lot of investors have been burnt over the years in Yeppoon and I've seen many sub divisions up there half full and they appear to have been on the go for many years particularly down Zilzie way.

Never the less my strategy is to hold my Cooee Property for many years, retire there, add a second story and enjoy the view of the islands. Hopefully by then the resource sector will have recovered with Alpha a huge success, the GFC will be a thing of the past and Southerners will be able to afford to retire and want to come north putting additional pressure on Home prices and rents.

Who knows, perhaps that "fast" hovercraft ferrying the workers from Zilzie to that toxic over priced quagmire Gladstone may well be up and running by then!

Steady on bunnyman Gladstone is my home!! And although Gladstone lacks infrastructure it's quite livable.
I can't see a hovercraft ferry getting off the ground..

Apologies Jenko , didn't mean to offend, I was just a bit under whelmed when I saw all the heavy industry taking up all the valuable coastal land around Gladstone. Loved Tannum Sands but thought it was a tad pricey and basically built out.

Interesting you feel that the Hovercraft idea from Zilzie to Gladstone wont ever eventuate. Could you give reasons why?

I would think a fast train from rocky and/or bundy would be more practical. Just can't see a ferry working, the water gets very rough pretty often allong the central coast. But anything is possible I guess.

A fast train between Bundaberg, Gladstone and Rockhampton was previously explored as an idea and dismissed as unfeasible.

There's been talk in recent weeks about constructing levees to flood proof Depot Hill and Port Curtis. Rocky Regional Council is currently seeking funding by thirds from both the Queensland and Federal Governments. Will be interesting to see the impact on prices in those areas if it does go ahead - although Depot Hill also has other problems beyond flooding issues.

A couple of questions for you guys that obviously are in the area.

Do you think that the housing market in Gladstone will continue to expand with new estates to be built I presume to the west away from the coast when the resouces sector gets going again ?

Or

Do you feel that people moving to the region may head a little further north to Rocky and the Yeppoon coast?

A couple of questions for you guys that obviously are in the area.

Do you think that the housing market in Gladstone will continue to expand with new estates to be built I presume to the west away from the coast when the resouces sector gets going again ?

Or

Do you feel that people moving to the region may head a little further north to Rocky and the Yeppoon coast?

Gladstone is well established as a centre compared to other smaller centres in Central Queensland. I don't see why people would be moving north in droves, but there are certainly people who have moved north into Rocky as it is more affordable to live in.

Yeppoon is a bit far from Gladstone to be a commutable distance. Given Yeppoon's dependency on tourism, I'm not sure this is an area I would personally choose to invest in. Yeppoon is more of a Rocky commuter town rather than to Gladstone.

There's a lot of intercity commuter traffic between Rockhampton and Gladstone, and I don't see why that wouldn't continue to be the case. I work with people who live in Gracemere/Rocky, I know people who live here in Gladstone and work in Rocky, and I also frequent Rockhampton as part of my job even though I'm based here in Gladstone. A lot of people don't realise how close the two centres are to each other.

The new estates are still being built in droves even in the the current downturn.

Hi , long time watcher of this forum , but decided to post so I've now joined. Have to admit a bit of a novice in investing in real estate. Although I've had some success. First - ex Sydney , moved from Sydney in 1990 after deciding I wanted to live near the beach. Couldn't afford Sydney beach prices even back in 1990 so decided to buy and now own and live in a house right on the beach in Blacksmiths NSW.

1998 decided to purchase first investment property. Back then Newcastle was untapped, so many areas , so much potential. Decided on a unit in Cooks Hill. Kept it till 2012 where I sold it for 200k profit. Same year decided to venture north for a new investment property and hopefully retirement home on the coast.

Drove from Sunshine Coast through Gympie and then onto the coast. Went through Tin Can Bay ( too isolated) , Hervey bay ( what's there apart from whales?), Bargara ( nice but employment ?) Moore Park ( nothing there), Agnes Water/ 1770 ( no infrastructure), Tannum Sands ( very nice but over priced) Gladstone ..( polluted industrial swamp) and then Yeppoon...(Bingo)!!!

Now I have to admit my criteria was that I wanted a house that I could live in when retired. It had to be a warm climate with a ocean view. I had 400 k to invest. I also wanted in the next 10 years solid capital growth with good rental potential in an area that was expanding...Yeppoon ticked all my boxes.

Found the house, great view even without the planned upper level and had it rented out for $400 p/w

20 minutes from Rocky ( ok driving fast) Rocky and Yeppoon ticked all my boxes. Rocky with its diversified economy ( not just mining) with the Alpha development still hopefully a goer appeared to me reasonably priced compared
to Mackay s humidity, cyclones, sea wasps , exorbitant home prices and to the South - Gladstone's ground zero ...what a dump !

Thus I guess the purpose of my post is this and hopefully I'll get a few replies- .....If you believe Rocky has great investment potential thru ongoing rental increases and capital gain then why not Yeppoon? I based my investment at Cooee Bay on rental return, long term capital gain and location. I believe if say Alpha Mine took off many mining families would be moving to the CQ area. Most families I thought would want to live where its a a bit cooler, where they can swim on the coast. Thus why I chose Yeppoon over Rocky.

Anyway thanks for reading and look forward to your replies.....

We had a look at Yeppon when we bought in rocky . I liked Yeppon but it had boomed in the year before we ( and many other somersoft members eg jaques ) went up there , whereas Rocky hadn't moved much , hence we bought in Rocky.

Cliff

Interesting article from Terry .

Only one red flag in it for me being

10. The long-term growth rates are strong, with most suburbs averaging 10% or more annually for the past decade.

For me I normally like places that have had low ten year growth rates eg Sydney a year ago , due to the tendency to revert to normal . I'd be interested to ee how much of that growth occured closer to ten years ago compared with more recently . If much of that growth occured around 7-10 years ago I'd be less concerned.

Jen Jen , do you have any figures , graphs of rocky growth . I no longer have access to the data I used to create the graphs I had in this post

Having said that returns are quite good there at the moment .

Cliff

10. The long-term growth rates are strong, with most suburbs averaging 10% or more annually for the past decade.

For me I normally like places that have had low ten year growth rates eg Sydney a year ago , due to the tendency to revert to normal . I'd be interested to ee how much of that growth occured closer to ten years ago compared with more recently . If much of that growth occured around 7-10 years ago I'd be less concerned.

Jen Jen , do you have any figures , graphs of rocky growth . I no longer have access to the data I used to create the graphs I had in this post

Cliff

Most of the growth in Rocky in the last 10 years was between 2003 and 2007. Since then, price growth has been minimal, but it has grown.

The rents, however, have jumped in the last 3-4 years.

Cliff

Hi Cliff
I've attached a couple of graphs you might find interesting. I had to input a suburb though, so note that these are both for Rockhampton City, not the region.
Cheers
Jen

Attachments

• RP Data Rockhampton City 30082013.png
    RP Data Rockhampton City 30082013.png
    101 KB · Views: 101
  • APM Data Rockhampton City 30082013.pdf
    63.1 KB · Views: 93
Jen

Can you do that in dollar terms rather percentage change ?

Brisbane had moved in the two years prior to 2004 so some of the growth in the last cycle would be missing from the Brisbane cycle , where as most would have been picked up in rocky .

If you drew any conclusions from that it would be , buy Brisbane , and assuming rocky doesn't take off in the next two years , look at buying then.

Cliff

Back