Rockhampton, QLD Which Suburb

My gut feeling is Gracemere (and perhaps Parkhurst) has acted to keep a ceiling on house prices in Rocky. The de-amalgamation and the spectacular rates rises (particularly for IP holders) have also put a dent in things perhaps.

Also, reading the local news, there's been lots of talk about some pretty big housing estates and developments coming in 2014 and beyond in Parkhurst that may push up vacancy rates on the north side.

Maybe if Rocky/Gracemere can become a DIDO hub and a host for local mining support industries, it can absorb the increase in housing supplies and get back to a balanced market?

We've seen a bit of this in Townsville recently, which is having a similar experience to Rockhampton in recent times with higher vacancy rates and highly impacted new estates. There's been small price growth in many of the older existing areas, while the newer estates in places like Deeragun and Burdell have seen significant price drops in the past year or so.

Parkhurst (and Norman Gardens) pose an interesting dilemma. The only new estates being developed to date in any significant numbers are those around Norman Road. There are also large land holdings that are held by the likes of Stockland in both Kawana and Parkhurst which are going to be developed - to the west of Yaamba Road. The rate these end up being developed will be key to impact of prices - at the moment it is fairly slow going compared to the likes of Gracemere.

On the other end of the scale, it will be interesting to see whether some of the upcoming projects such as the Bruce Highway flood proofing and bridge works, the Gracemere industrial estate development and other infrastructure works will end up providing a push on demand. That may provide some relief on the south side when they do commence/ramp up later in the year.

I read this article too, I thought it was interesting they said that rents in Rocky had dropped slightly. A real estate agent I had spoken to recently when I got a rent appraisal completed for my property in Rocky told me that the rental market is softening. They also gave me a story that the rents should increase this year (I disagree with this, particularly due to Gracemere saturation of properties).

The amount of vacant properties at Gracemere is impacting on Rocky rents. I notice the same Rockhampton properties seem to be sitting on realestate.com.au for awhile, then suddenly dropping the rents to try and get them rented.

Gracemere is interesting too, there seems to be a number of new 4 bedroom properties available for under $350 a week.

Hi

I thought it might be useful to have a look at what is actually going on with rents in the area. It paints an interesting picture, and definitely more accurate than speculation!
Please note, I had to delete a couple of sheets due to size, but the data is readily available via rta.

Cheers

Jen

Attachments

• new-MR-Central Qld 1312.xls
    79 KB · Views: 96
Hi

I thought it might be useful to have a look at what is actually going on with rents in the area. It paints an interesting picture, and definitely more accurate than speculation!
Please note, I had to delete a couple of sheets due to size, but the data is readily available via rta.

Cheers

Jen

That doesn't paint the full picture, however, as the trend for the 3 bedroom houses paints a slightly different picture:

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/Resources...n rents/Dec 2013/new-MR-Central Qld 1312.ashx

Yes, the rents have fallen slightly since 2012, but it's not a major decrease (with one or two exceptions) like what has recently been seen in Gladstone and Mackay, nor has it been uniform across the whole of Rockhampton. This makes sense, given that Rockhampton's economy is more diverse and less exposed to the mining sector than the other two centres.

12 months ago one of our IP was reviewed for lease renewal (old 2 bed cottage).

It was rented at 230/wk and the rec was to take it to 270/wk. We said no, tenant couldn't afford that sort of hike and he is a good tenant. We split the diff and offered 250/wk, which the tenant accepted.

Lease review just the other week said if we had to market it now, we 'd only get 210-220/wk.

So I'd say yes rents have dropped just slightly over 24 months but a lot over the last 12 months.

Gday guys,

I own an IP in Allenstown to which I have recently finished some mild rennovations(Tiling, painting, new kitchen, colorbond fencing etc.).

Just wondering if anyone could suggest as to whether it would be wiser to rent it out and wait or throw it on the market to chase some profit?

3 bed, 1 bath on 950m2 blocks 50m from both state school and large shopping center.

Gday guys,

I own an IP in Allenstown to which I have recently finished some mild rennovations(Tiling, painting, new kitchen, colorbond fencing etc.).

Just wondering if anyone could suggest as to whether it would be wiser to rent it out and wait or throw it on the market to chase some profit?

3 bed, 1 bath on 950m2 blocks 50m from both state school and large shopping center.

If it were me, I'd hold on to it for the time being. Rocky may not do much within the next few months but it's certainly not declining either. Given that it has been renovated, you'll probably have an easier time renting it out than many of the more run down places (probably have good yield and depreciation too), of which there is no shortage of around Allenstown.

Rocky is currently around the bottom of the cycle/recovery mode.

Our IP has been vacant a month now and PM has advised we drop the asking rental by $20/week. 15YO 3 bedder on bus route, walking distance to convenience shops and school. 12 months ago we were advised to increase it by $30/week.

So no Rocky is not going well at the moment and I don't think we're at "the bottom of the cycle/recovery mode". I think we're on the way down with further to go.

Today the insurance renewal (EBM) arrived and the premium has increased by 50%. Three years ago the premium increased by 50% (probably due to floods) and I did not contest it, but this increase, combined with dropping rents is going to force my hand.

Our IP has been vacant a month now and PM has advised we drop the asking rental by $20/week. 15YO 3 bedder on bus route, walking distance to convenience shops and school. 12 months ago we were advised to increase it by $30/week.

So no Rocky is not going well at the moment and I don't think we're at "the bottom of the cycle/recovery mode". I think we're on the way down with further to go.

Today the insurance renewal (EBM) arrived and the premium has increased by 50%. Three years ago the premium increased by 50% (probably due to floods) and I did not contest it, but this increase, combined with dropping rents is going to force my hand.

Is your property in town?

Yes, suburban North Rocky.

Haven't had any problems finding a tenant until now, it's always been 100% occupied.

Only flood effect was being cut off with the rest of the town by the highway flooding, and we have never made a claim for anything. All the insurers are jacking up their costs so I am thinking we might drop the LL insurance and just go B&C. It is rented through an agent so that gives us some protection (picking and managing tenants) but I would like to keep LL, just can't afford it.

I've had a chat to my property manager - things are better than they were a few months ago, but certainly not where things were 12 months ago when Rocky had just about the tightest rental market in QLD - rental prices had come back, but anything that is well priced and in good condition is moving reasonably quickly, even in Gracemere. The situation in Rocky is considerably more stable than its surrounding neighbours, so I'm not too fussed at the moment.

I was in Rockhampton earlier today to do a bit of investigating into the supply side of the chain, particularly in the Gracemere and Norman Gardens areas where most of the new supply is coming on line. The last time I was in Gracemere was back in April 2013. This is what I noted:

Gracemere:

There were quite a lot of houses (at least 300 or so) being built in the new estates at the northern and southern ends of Gracemere the last time I was there back in 2013. These are almost all entirely complete (and would have contributed to the weaker market conditions towards the end of 2013 having all come on the market at once), with not much currently being built or vacant land currently ready for further development other than a few streets such as Abby Drive.

Anyone buying in the south end of Gracemere and not doing their due diligence could be in for a surprise in a few years, with the new industrial estate (Rockhampton's intended equivalent of Mackay's Paget area) almost on the doorstep of the southern residential areas. On the flipside, this will provide more jobs to the area.

The market seems to be currently a bit oversupplied in Gracemere, but this is affecting the rental market more so than house prices, and pales in comparison to the oversupply in Gladstone. I didn't see too many "for sale" or "for rent" boards around, much to my surprise and the market should be able to absorb it given a few months.

Norman Gardens:

Most of the new residential developments in North Rockhampton are occurring around both sides of Norman Road at its northern end. The amount of development on the western side is fairly insignificant (no more than a few houses north of River Rose Drive), but the volume coming on line on the eastern side is significant, with several estates near Yeppoon Road all currently in the works.

The asking rents and prices for seemingly equivalent standard homes is significantly more in Norman Gardens than it is in Gracemere (or other parts of Rockhampton in general), but Norman Gardens is part of the main urban area and is about 17km from Gracemere. The market in this part of Rocky seems to be steady and relatively balanced, with quite a few turning out to most of the opens I saw in the area.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be a large number of new homes being built around Rocky (even Gracemere), things have continued a relatively steady pace without the big ups or downs that Mackay and Gladstone tend to see.

Other:

Central Rockhampton (4700) doesn't generally see much new housing development due to being surrounded by undevelopable lagoon land on all sides. However, there are a couple of new apartment buildings coming on line, something that Rockhampton has not really seen until recent times - namely Southbank on Victoria, and Empire - both located on Victoria Parade next to the river.

I was in Rockhampton earlier today to do a bit of investigating into the supply side of the chain, particularly in the Gracemere and Norman Gardens areas where most of the new supply is coming on line. The last time I was in Gracemere was back in April 2013. This is what I noted:

Gracemere:

There were quite a lot of houses (at least 300 or so) being built in the new estates at the northern and southern ends of Gracemere the last time I was there back in 2013. These are almost all entirely complete (and would have contributed to the weaker market conditions towards the end of 2013 having all come on the market at once), with not much currently being built or vacant land currently ready for further development other than a few streets such as Abby Drive.

Anyone buying in the south end of Gracemere and not doing their due diligence could be in for a surprise in a few years, with the new industrial estate (Rockhampton's intended equivalent of Mackay's Paget area) almost on the doorstep of the southern residential areas. On the flipside, this will provide more jobs to the area.

The market seems to be currently a bit oversupplied in Gracemere, but this is affecting the rental market more so than house prices, and pales in comparison to the oversupply in Gladstone. I didn't see too many "for sale" or "for rent" boards around, much to my surprise and the market should be able to absorb it given a few months.

Norman Gardens:

Most of the new residential developments in North Rockhampton are occurring around both sides of Norman Road at its northern end. The amount of development on the western side is fairly insignificant (no more than a few houses north of River Rose Drive), but the volume coming on line on the eastern side is significant, with several estates near Yeppoon Road all currently in the works.

The asking rents and prices for seemingly equivalent standard homes is significantly more in Norman Gardens than it is in Gracemere (or other parts of Rockhampton in general), but Norman Gardens is part of the main urban area and is about 17km from Gracemere. The market in this part of Rocky seems to be steady and relatively balanced, with quite a few turning out to most of the opens I saw in the area.

Overall, there doesn't seem to be a large number of new homes being built around Rocky (even Gracemere), things have continued a relatively steady pace without the big ups or downs that Mackay and Gladstone tend to see.

Other:

Central Rockhampton (4700) doesn't generally see much new housing development due to being surrounded by undevelopable lagoon land on all sides. However, there are a couple of new apartment buildings coming on line, something that Rockhampton has not really seen until recent times - namely Southbank on Victoria, and Empire - both located on Victoria Parade next to the river.

Some handy info from Norwoodman. What are your thoughts on wandal? Close to schools and base hospital

You don't need to be an expert or resident to see that the prices and direction of Gracemere has been due to hype and the herd

Any suburb that booms during market hype that is surrounded by vacant land, high yields, high proportion of new housr and lane packages, promoted by sales gurus
gurus is almost a Too good to be true situation that is going to be followed by falling prices, high vacant rates and torture for owners

Unfortunately, I thought. I was smarter and wouldn't go.near Gracemere, but I did buy in Rocky, and also.bought in Muswellbrook

So I can't mock.others!!!!!! Welcome to the losers club. ;)

Back