Roof Insulation

I am now in the process of having my first IP built (to be rented), and I was wondering if there are repercussions with fitting the roof insulation myself. Using the same materials I could buy and fit it myself for just under half what the builder quoted. Thought this would be an easy way to save some money.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks

Hi snivag,

Is it safe if you do it yourself?

What would the insurance Co's view be should there be a fire...would they look to that as an 'out' clause if it wasn't installed by 'qualified' people?

Do you have downlights? I've heard you have to be especially careful putting anything near them due to the heat they generate.

Really the insurance was my main concern. I have no down-lights but would isolate the electrical connections for the lights from the insulation batts.
As you said the insurance Co. might use it as get-out.
Obviously not hoping for a fire:p:p

Make sure you receive correct installation instructions when you buy the insulation.

I would think an owner would follow these to the letter - after all, it is their property that will be damaged by incorrectly fitted insulation. However, if the insulation is NOT fitted correctly then your insurance probably would be affected.

I guess the main message is to make very sure you know what you are doing.
Marg

I was wondering if there are repercussions with fitting the roof insulation myself.

In NSW the Builder has to supply the Council Building Inspector (or private certifier) with a letter stating that ceiling insulation was installed to meet standards and what rating was installed to meet Basix certification and the builder is reponsible for the insulation.

Now to my way of thinking - what are your qualifications to install insulation correctly?

You will most likley put your builder in between a rock and a hard place - most builders contract insulation installation out to a qualified subcontractor. Your builder can and in most cases applies for interim occupation certificates so owners can take possession of building and complete things they wish to do themselves eg, painting, landscaping etc.

IMHO...
I can see one main potential repercussion in NSW namely you will not get your new building past for occupation by council bulding inspector if installation not installed by qualified installers.

Regards
Sheryn

Thanks for that reply Sheryn, I will get in contact with the council to see if the same applies in South Australia.
snivag

I guess the main message is to make very sure you know what you are doing.
Marg[/QUOTE]

I have a license to fix insulation and did so on many homes within the farcical insulation scheme by the labor government ,doing it your self isnt a problem ,just make sure that you allow 300mm around any intrusions in the ceiling eg downlights ,also lift any power cables and fit the insulation below these ,turn off all power at the mains before hand . where the installation problems that have occured is where inexperienced people have been allowed to enter the ceiling cavity and work with materials that are alien to them

We insulated both houses ourselves. FIL is an electrician and gave us a lecture on what not to do, and checked it afterwards.

Considering the ceilings here have 100% insulation coverage and are probably put in better than most of the stuff done under the insulation rebate scheme, I'm happy with our DIY job.

Back