Roof restoration

I have a small(ish) three bedder with under roof carport, the roof is looking a little tired.
I understand that a roof restoration can be pretty expensive, probably somewhere over the $6,000 mark.
As far as I am aware there are four steps to this job.
1 - Clean
2 - Repair
3 - Seal
4 - Paint

Is this the type of job that can be tackled by a DIYer?
What products do you recommend?
Is this actually worth doing, ROI ?

Thanks in advance, WALLY

Hi Wally
I have recently had my PPoR done on the Sunshine Coast. We had 3 quotes... first $3,200 cash, second $4,500 incl GST, third $2900 cash. We let them keep their advertising sign out the front for a month, for a small discount too.

The colour we choose was Woodland Grey (dark charcoal like colour). It is a large 4 bed house plus DLUG. Hopefully it won't be too hot with the dark colour but we thought it looked heaps better than the lighter ones... We are really happy with the result & so far ok.

That sounds a really expensive price but Sydney prices tend to be more than up here. The first day they cleaned the roof with a high pressure hose & cleaned out the gutters. Then they came & did the repairs to any broken tiles & applied an undercoat. Finally they applied 2 coats of paint over the next 2 days... Took 4 days all up & was a bigger job than I thought.
I would attempt anything like this.
Hope this helps
Steve

Hi Wally,

I did a roof restoration on our 4x2 ppor last year. Cost in total was $1500, this included primer coat and two top coats, replacement tiles where needed, and getting someone in to rebed all the ridge tiles. I am more than happy with the finished result and would undertake it all again. Labourwise it took one weekend to clean the roof/ replace the tiles, and one very full weekend to do the 3 coats of paint. Hire a decent waterblaster and make sure you are thorough and a quality airless spray unit and this will make your life a lot easier. Let me know if you require any more details and I can fill you in with what I learnt.

Cheers Stu

ps.. the $300 we spent to get the ridge tiles professionally done was money well spent, this to me looks the hardest part of the job and done well certainly adds to the quality of the final job.

we had ours done on our rambling 5 bedroom, double story previous ppor around 18 months ago - cost around $2500. they repointed and replaced broken tiles, water blasted the roof, primered and coated ... for that price i wouldn't be bothered doing it myself.

we had already painted the exterior walls, but the roof had looked tired in comparison. looked 1000% better afterwards, and i think that helped the house sell in 4 days for close to asking price (street record at the time).

We just had our PPOR done which cost us $2300. They clean, replace damaged tiles, re-point, paint and seal. Came up a treat. I wouldnt bother doing it yourself. Not when you see whats involved in doing it properly and for the money I couldnt be bothered. My brother had his place in Baulkham Hills done last yr and its a large 2 story place. Cost was around $3000.

Our quotes varied from $1500-$4500.

Jayro

Roof restorations must be a lot cheaper on the East coast, I couldnt get anyone here to do the job under $5000.

Cheers Stu

We just had our PPOR done which cost us $2300. They clean, replace damaged tiles, re-point, paint and seal. Came up a treat. I wouldnt bother doing it yourself. Not when you see whats involved in doing it properly and for the money I couldnt be bothered. My brother had his place in Baulkham Hills done last yr and its a large 2 story place. Cost was around $3000.

Our quotes varied from $1500-$4500.

Jayro

Jayro, do you know who your brother used?

I will get the contact details over the weekend and send you a PM. If I forget pls just shoot me a PM and i'll get onto it. He is away until tomorrow otherwise id grab it now for you.

Jayro

Back