Roofs

Is it just me, or are these WA roof structures dodgy

A number of houses being built in the area are like this

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The wood has been cut around a number of these beams to fit (i.e see picture 2 where the wood is cut to fit the metal beam).

A couple more

Click on the photo to expand the view

Attachments

• IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0312.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMAG0315.jpg
    IMAG0315.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMAG0314.jpg
    IMAG0314.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 62
Last couple

I looked at 5-6 houses with metal beams, though there were also a large number without.

Attachments

• IMAG0316.jpg
    IMAG0316.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMAG0317.jpg
    IMAG0317.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 56
Hi redwing,

Certainly looks dodgy to me...It's a worry when a piece of wood is propping a load bearing steel beam.

This one of your projects?

Cheers Spades.

Those timbers will be temporary packers until they complete the complete the connection. They will most likely be bolted into the brick piers with high strength grout under. They probably need to do a bit more shimy-ing with the beams before bolting in?

Those timbers will be temporary packers until they complete the complete the connection. They will most likely be bolted into the brick piers with high strength grout under. They probably need to do a bit more shimy-ing with the beams before bolting in?

Sounds like a solution,

Ive seen some tack welded previously

Why the box tubing welded to the beam in one photo?

At the stage it is, I would hope its not finished.

If it your place I would be looking at the plans especially the location of the steel beams, tie down methods and spacing of the tie down to the block work and tie down method joist to hanging beams etc, method of fixing the face plate to the bricks (not sure which photo) it was looked like it was ramset nailed. There was also one set of joists that just sits on the brickwork and no plate under. This is why I feel it has not been finished. I would also be looking at the spacing of the ceiling joists.

Before I got to concerned I would wait till the framework is finished and ready for its inspection.

I also cannot answer about the box section of steel other than the beam was short.

Brian

Brian

Back