RPData to contact prop owner. Illegal or not?

If I use RPData to find info on the owner of a particular property and use this info to contact them through letterbox drops/ringing, does this constitute any breaches in privacy laws or terms and conditions of use for RPData.

PDSLive doesnt allow use of data for marketing purposes - Im sure its the same for RPData.

Up to you to decide if what you are doing is "marketing".

correct - it is a condition of the contract of data supply through RP.

it is also a breach of the privacy act.

plus the vast majority of people around the place now are on the Do Not Call register.

either way your stuffed. the only way around it is to do a title search at titles office and once you have the name do white pages etc.

Thought so. What about if I use RPData to find out if the owner of a property is a PPOR and just letter box a generalised letter saying i am an interested buyer. ie: dear homeowner, i like the look of your house and am interested in buying it.... (but without disclosing personal info - kind of like the once RE agents use)

correct - it is a condition of the contract of data supply through RP.

it is also a breach of the privacy act.

plus the vast majority of people around the place now are on the Do Not Call register.

either way your stuffed. the only way around it is to do a title search at titles office and once you have the name do white pages etc.

In other words, get their info from RP data, then check to see if they are listed in white pages. If they are then you are safe to do what you want with the info - just point to the white pages if questioned.

Thought so. What about if I use RPData to find out if the owner of a property is a PPOR and just letter box a generalised letter saying i am an interested buyer. ie: dear homeowner, i like the look of your house and am interested in buying it.... (but without disclosing personal info - kind of like the once RE agents use)

I am happy to be corrected, but as far as i understand it - you can use RP as a research tool without any dramas, you just cannot use it to DIRECT market...

in other words, i can't see a drama with the scenario you describe above.

s_t, yes that may be a way out of it - but you'd be lying!!???!! all depends on ones own SANF.

Greypages is another way...

nah, not lying if you do it carefully - you need to show some creative thinking ;). How about getting name and address from RP data. Look up in white pages, and get phone number. Check phone no. in rp data. Make the call. Your source of the phone no. was the white pages - no lying needed....

I am happy to be corrected, but as far as i understand it - you can use RP as a research tool without any dramas, you just cannot use it to DIRECT market...

in other words, i can't see a drama with the scenario you describe above.

s_t, yes that may be a way out of it - but you'd be lying!!???!! all depends on ones own SANF.

Greypages is another way...

Back