School catchment zones Sydney

Does any one know of a site that shows the catchment zones of the primary/high schools in Sydney?

Some school sites show a catchment zone, but others don't.

For some areas the boundaries are fluid depending upon their policies eg. sibling preference, shortage of numbers so need out of area enrollments to keep teacher numbers stable etc.

I couldn't find a map for say Cheltenham GHS but Hunters Hill high & Riverside GHS catchments are quite defined even though it is more difficult to get to than Willoughby GHS or Chatswood HS (for us ie bus at door vs 2 buses).

A fair guide can be given by local agents or by contacting the school.

Last edited:
For some areas the boundaries are fluid depending upon their policies eg. sibling preference, shortage of numbers so need out of area enrollments to keep teacher numbers stable etc.

I couldn't find a map for say Cheltenham GHS but Hunters Hill high & Riverside GHS catchments are quite defined even though it is more difficult to get to than Willoughby GHS or Chatswood HS.

A fair guide can be given by local agents or by contacting the school.

Cheltenham has a boundary map in their front admin office

selective school - even if you live next door, you can't get in. It's purely based on a selective exam

most public high school in Sydney have a map in their web site.

some are strict in asking you to provide proof of residence, so a are loose, depending on which school

Killara and Cherrybrook are pretty strict, whereas Willoughby is not as strict.

I was looking a particular public primary school. Looking at the boundary map, it seems i'm just cut off. By that i mean the house behind me is in, and I'm out.

The school is the closest primary school and doesn't cross any major roads (ie arterial roads that are 4-6 lanes wide).

It seems that i may be part of the catchment of the other school that requires me to cross a main road and is further away.

Are some schools that strict where if you're out by such a small measure you're out. I know the best way is to call, but i am curious on a general level for these things. Eg it was mentioned that Killara and Cherrybrook are pretty strict, but for strict schools is it that black and white or it does have some gray.

Areas are not fluid. They are set (dept of Education). But they sometimes make exceptions as mentioned above. Most will take siblings even if out of area.

If a school is in high demand they will be more strict (but if they are at risk of losing a teacher because they need 1 more kid they will make an exception).

If you don't get in to a school you want try again at the beginning of the year. They may need a few more to get their numbers.

My school is like that. People fake rates notices to get in, but we needed 2 more kids this year to save a teacher.

If it's not on the website it's as simple as ringing or visiting the school. You can then ask about out of area applications. If you are applying for out of area DO NOT say it's because a local school is no good.

Areas are not fluid. They are set (dept of Education). But they sometimes make exceptions as mentioned above. Most will take siblings even if out of area.

If a school is in high demand they will be more strict (but if they are at risk of losing a teacher because they need 1 more kid they will make an exception).

If you don't get in to a school you want try again at the beginning of the year. They may need a few more to get their numbers.

My school is like that. People fake rates notices to get in, but we needed 2 more kids this year to save a teacher.

If it's not on the website it's as simple as ringing or visiting the school. You can then ask about out of area applications. If you are applying for out of area DO NOT say it's because a local school is no good.

Thanks Travel Bug, there's a few more years before my baby is due to go to school. But just planning in advance. Going to the preferred public school does have its advantages for me:

1. Its in the same direction as the train station, so i could walk them to school and jump on the train
2. If i had to drive, it would be all back streets, so much quicker if i had to drive them due to rainy weather
3. It is a much better school according to rankings 250 vs 1300

How do these schools tend to take it if you offer to make donations to the school. Just in case they view it as you trying to bribe your way in and kick you out the door.

Are some schools that strict where if you're out by such a small measure you're out.

We were in a similar situation. Boundary was our street. We went and spoke to the principal. We got in because mum was an old student
He did say "wow.. you got into a selective school at THAT time". That may have an effect as well.

Adelaide private school catchment zones

Also anyone got any info or site/link for Adelaide prestigious school catchment zones.

Thanks Travel Bug, there's a few more years before my baby is due to go to school. But just planning in advance. Going to the preferred public school does have its advantages for me:

1. Its in the same direction as the train station, so i could walk them to school and jump on the train
2. If i had to drive, it would be all back streets, so much quicker if i had to drive them due to rainy weather
3. It is a much better school according to rankings 250 vs 1300

How do these schools tend to take it if you offer to make donations to the school. Just in case they view it as you trying to bribe your way in and kick you out the door.

Put thoe transport etc in the letter. I wouldn't flat out offer a donation but let it be known in your letter that you are very interested in being involved in the school and supporting the school etc etc.;) At the end of the day though, it really comes down to whether they have room. If possible give it to the principal and be REALLY nice to the office ladies. They sometimes decide things like this.;)

Back