Scratched glass from dogs

I have glass sliding doors in two properties that are scratched from dogs nails. Does the entire glass doors need to be replaced? Why do PM's not bother to make tenants responsible? :rolleyes::mad: Both properties also have gauged out wooden door scratches also. One is in Brisbane, one Perth.

They must be some pretty large and/or bored dogs to be scratching glass and wooden doors.
I have 2 dogs (both over 30kgs) and have never had any issues on doors or floors. We have bamboo floors in our house and even when the dogs get a bit rowdy, there's no scratches.

Are you able to recover the costs from the tenants?

My silly step daughter ran off late to school one day (most days actually) with one of our dogs still in her room.

Needless to say there was less paint and timber on the door when I came home. And one very, very stressed dog.

Tell your PM in no uncertain terms the tenants are to pay.

Perhaps also check into how well their dogs are....

They must be some pretty large and/or bored dogs to be scratching glass and wooden doors.
I have 2 dogs (both over 30kgs) and have never had any issues on doors or floors. We have bamboo floors in our house and even when the dogs get a bit rowdy, there's no scratches.

Are you able to recover the costs from the tenants?

In both instances I used two Pm's. in the latest property the first pm did initial property condition report, tenants signed and handed back to the new Pm. Both Pm's were so intelligent that the internal garage wasn't included at all in the report. This is a pic of a wooden door of a storeroom inside the garage which was also non-existant in report. So it will be a combination of us and taxpayers footing the bill. The Pm's gave all bond back to tenants, I did try arguing but got nowhere. It wasn't until I cleaned the filth that all the damage was evident. I had a friend over recently who commented on the scratches and mentioned her two Bichon Freis has done it to her door. I've never had a problem with any of my dogs, I notice my current dogs claws are rounded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 173
Thanks, you'de be a great PM. :) Found heaps of companies by googling!

Thank you :)

As for missing rooms in the condition report, that is inexcusable. PM's are human and unfortunately some things may be missed, but not a whole room.

I'd see if you could get some compensation from your PM company. I wouldn't be at all surprised if two companies both missed it, if the new one just copied off the old....

Thats a real shame. We had the exact same experience recently, the glass sliding door was badly scratched by the Tenants dog (which wasn't even permitted). Thankfully the PM had been diligent enough to take photos of the door before they moved in and tenants had to pay us $750 to get someone to buff the scratches out. Definitely a good idea to use a PM that takes pictures entry/exit & quarterly inspections.

Thats a real shame. We had the exact same experience recently, the glass sliding door was badly scratched by the Tenants dog (which wasn't even permitted). Thankfully the PM had been diligent enough to take photos of the door before they moved in and tenants had to pay us $750 to get someone to buff the scratches out. Definitely a good idea to use a PM that takes pictures entry/exit & quarterly inspections.

Wow, that's expensive! It's impossible to photograph the scratches on the glass. Not sure how to have any photographic proof.
The PM gave me $200 and told me to never contact him again. As there's about $2000? worth of damage and not even an exit condition report I doubt I could claim any on insurance. :mad:

The PM gave me $200 and told me to never contact him again. As there's about $2000? worth of damage and not even an exit condition report I doubt I could claim any on insurance. :mad:

Seems to be a recurring theme about hopeless PMs, almost as many stories about bad tenants!

Are you going to let this PM get away with this?

Dirty Doggy Paws..

Its not the doggy's fingernails, its the sharp little grains of sand (quartz?) and dirt stuck to the paws, mixed in with whatever it is adhering to... stuck between their tootsies...

A little bored staffy 'dug' into my cedar back door... :mad:

Also, if the PM offered you $200. I suspect that might be an admission of guilt.. but check with your solicitor about that

I hope this helps
SeafordSunshine

glass scratches easily, steel would have no problem doing it
I actually picked up a steel knife off of my desk and attacked the window next to me and guess what, no scratches, but that steel knife has no problems scratching my nails or cutting them.

Dogs nails are not tougher than steel and steel is not tougher than glass, though a knife blade is close.
Mohs scale of hardness proves this.
http://www.amfed.org/t_mohs.htm
Hardness of some other items:
2.5 - Fingernail
2.5-3 - Gold, Silver
3 - Copper penny
4-4.5 - Platinum
4-5 - Iron
5.5 - Knife blade
6-7 - Glass
6.5 - Iron pyrite
7+ - Hardened steel file

I actually picked up a steel knife off of my desk and attacked the window next to me and guess what, no scratches, but that steel knife has no problems scratching my nails or cutting them.

Dogs nails are not tougher than steel and steel is not tougher than glass, though a knife blade is close.
Mohs scale of hardness proves this.

My fingernail and a dog's fingernail are two completely different things! Here is another photo of a bedroom wall that was painted at the start of tenants lease at a cost met by myself as prior tenant refused to pa! Grrr! With my fingernail I can't scratch glass door, plaster painted wall, or enamel painted wooden door as per my pics.
Dogs claws are designed to dig, bury food, etc. I once had a dog that wanted to get indoors so in a day it dug a hole the size of a grave so the limestone footings of my house were in midair.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 88
Back