second storey extensions

Hi
we are trying to decide whether to add a second storey to our home, or build a freestanding building with a couple of bedrooms, and a bathroom. We need more space as our girls grow older, and don't know which way to go.
We know roughly how much a freestanding building would cost, but have no idea on adding a second storey. Has anyone done this, if so, how much did it cost, and was it a good process?
tia
Angela

count how many times you go into the bedrooms, iether to say, hi or collect the washing, etc, and then pretent to go up and then down a flight of 20 steps, i have stairs to get in to our home from the garage, and oh my goodness they are a pain in the ***.

count how many times you go into the bedrooms, iether to say, hi or collect the washing, etc, and then pretent to go up and then down a flight of 20 steps, i have stairs to get in to our home from the garage, and oh my goodness they are a pain in the ***.

but think of the exercise :)

If it were possible, we'd simply extend on the same level, but we are on a hilly block, and our house is on cut and fill, with no room to move in any direction except up. We do have a flat pad about 30 metres up the hill, where we could build a second dwelling (ie shed decked out with bedrooms & bathroom/kitchenette), but we don't know which way would add the most value to the property. And we don't know how much going up would cost us.
Would it be worth getting a re agent to give us an idea of before and after values?

Check with the council first if you are thinking of building a second dwelling on an individual block of land.
Marg

yes, we would of course. Don't think we would have any problems as we are on acreage, and we know others who have done it with approval. We wouldn't even really need a kitchenette, just a couple of bedrooms and a bathroom.

Would it be worth getting a re agent to give us an idea of before and after values?

Angela

Yes or you could search on RE sites which would give a pretty basic answer.

In relation to how much, well that is a broad question, but I did happen to get a quote myself from 3 companies for exactly this. Cheapest was for adding 3 bedrooms, a bathroom and a area at top of stairs for couch/TV was for $140- 160k, there was a few things left off quote which added to about 10k for the second story ( and another 15k for the renos we would need to do to downstairs). The highest quote was 270-300k. Searching the area for 5 bedroom places as similar land/specs to what we would get done resulted in it being about even in value but the difference would be selling and buying costs.

Jezza

Angela

Another thing its one thing to sit in a loung room and draw something but I would suggest if your thinking of it
- get on your roof as see what impact to neighbours
- Ring council and here there views
- Get a extension company around ( they will do a free quote)
- If it is your PPOR and you are thinking of living there for another 10+ years, will it improve your lifestyle
- Can you purchase the type of property you are after by buying a new place/selling current

Jezza

unseen issue

There is one very important factor which could influence your decision.
Height restrictions..
There is a height restriction of 8.5 metres from natural lay of the land to the top of your ridge.
If you are on stumps, then there is a good chance that you will be unable to build up as you may cross that threshold.

good luck with your project,

Whilst it is more cost effective to build up, my preference (especially on acres) would be to build a single storey home.

The population is ageing and no one likes going up and down stairs dozens of time during the day.

We have a mutli level and cannot wait until the kids are old enough so we can downsize.

build out rather than up-

As Chilliblue has mentioned, with an ageing population, and for that matter the rest of the population, does not like climbing stairs, regardless of the exercise.
In regards to cost- really depends on the scenario, and to a large extent the builder.
Building up as opposed to out, can actually cost very close to the same depending on certain factors. If you are re-cycling the tiles off a roof, could very well offset the cost of a new slab etc

my 2 cents, as there are more than 1 way to skin a cat

I can put a Lift / Elevator into any two story home for under 30k
In most cases 25k

Hi
we are trying to decide whether to add a second storey to our home, or build a freestanding building with a couple of bedrooms, and a bathroom. We need more space as our girls grow older, and don't know which way to go.
We know roughly how much a freestanding building would cost, but have no idea on adding a second storey. Has anyone done this, if so, how much did it cost, and was it a good process?
tia
Angela

How long is a piece of string? Too many variables to give any good advice. Best you call some builders over and get a guide from them.

I went through this idea a year ago. I got knocked back by the the bank in the 11th hour for the finance.

I was quoted 130k for three bedrooms, ensuite two way bathroom, built in robes, walk in robe to master bedroom, staircase, and a 1m x 3m balcony off the master bedroom. Whole house was then cement rendered and coloured to not look like just a box sitting on top of the existing. Pretty sure I had Dutch gable roof as well on the plans.

Company was the best in the business here in Sydney anyway.
Don't know if I can say who they are, but will anyway.

Capecod Building P/L

I wish it were the case as I want to build a 2 storey to capture some views, however the cost of the upper floor on new build is generally 150% of the ground floor. I don't do reno but I believe it can be about 200%. the base build of what i want to build (same living area) is $180k single level, $270k 2 storey, but most of the other 2 storey co's are around $400k (budget end of the market). I am thinking of maybe doing single level now and doing a reno in 10 years

2 storey - expensive to build, doesn't suit population, retains more outdoor space, gives views, more prestige

thanks for all the replies, I had some plans emailed to me today from a company, for jobs which they have completed, including contract prices.
They range from $111,000 to $155,000, and this has at least given us an idea. I am going to get a guy from the company to come and have a look, he may have better ideas than us (probably will), and will get a few quotes.
I also spoke to a re agent local to my area, and he reckons a second storey would be fare better for resale in this area, as people are looking for larger, prestigious homes rather than seperate dwellings.

Back