Seeking advice on built in robes.

Seeking advice on biult in robes.

I wander if anyone can give me some advice?

It's come time to put in sliding robe doors. There will be four doors (two either side) so that there is access to the shelving from each side. I would like advice from anyone who has bought them, built them before or know ways to make them cheap.

I went to the local shower screen place (they make and fit robes and all sorts of things) i asked for a quote he said $419 i offered to pay $400 cash and left, i thought yeah that seems alright. then i went back to ask if that was for four doors and he said no it's for two. He explained that the panel alone that goes into each door is $96 each. I canceled the deal and took my money back.

I rang him later to say I have access to a heap of 16mm double sided white lemanexed chipboard. I asked..!.., if i provide the wood, would you make them up? His reply was that it would cost the same amount at least $800. I just can't justify that. I got off the phone thinking this guy just wanted top dollar. And i left thinking i would go about making these myself.

The opening for the doors is 2385mm x 1720mm. So the doors are a normal size, about the width of a normal door and the hieght of a normal stud!

Any advice on what to do here?

Dear Jaffasoft,

Depends on how hands on you want to be.

Regency in Brisbane have put in all my built-in cupboards. They have offices throughout VIC as well.

http://www.regency-mck.com/wardrobe1.html

I would have to say two doors is common I normally pay a bit over $700 inc installed for double built-ins with shelves inside.

If you only need the doors then that's another story. But I found that two local cabinet makers actually bought their doors from Regency. May still be worthwhile talking with them direct.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Jaffasoft

I have used Regency for shower screens and also for fixed shower screens fitted onto the side of the bath.

My sister and a neighbour have each had Regency install wardrobes, and were very happy with the result.

However, if you are handy with a saw and can use a hammer, Bunnings have some very good publications including a 'How To' build in wardrobes.

'The Family Handyman' magazine $5.95 Vol 2 No.4 July/August 2002 has a built in wardrobe project. Readers Digest publish the magazine 1300 362 653 and no doubt back issues can be ordered [email protected]

Good instructions, with a little care, a good result.

Good luck

Kristine

Do they have to be sliding
just built myself a couple of them today
all supplies from Bunnings 8 75/35mm studs on special $3.75 a2.4m length
3 sheets of 16mm by 600mm chipboard at $21.00?
4 internal doors @ $26.00 4 passage door knobs $18.00 few screws thats it
I forgot some $2.15 hinges.If you are handy screw it all together in a corner of the room using the studs inside your walls.Slap on some paint.You will have a wardrobe that will outlast those sliding ones at a much cheaper price.
Works for me anyway.
Cheers Layer181

Hi,

"Do they have to be sliding".

Yes, they have to be sliding because it will be best for the area there going into! With limited space on a houseboat, plus i just like sliding doors :). The type i want is the same as what's in this place i'm in, with the frames around the panel and they roll on the tracks with the rollers on the bottom, they are very smoothe. And nice looking doors.

The Shower Screen place offering the quote earlier was to make the four doors and the tracks only, nothing else, i instal them, i pick them up, and i make my own shelving.

Looks like i might need to get down to a Bunnings store somewhere and suss out some frames, rollers and tracks.

Does 16mm thick fit into the frames? I have noticed that most these doors are made out of thinner 8 or 10 mm panel then they are fitted in with a rubber around the edge to hold them in the frame work. This was my main concern.

I've got the double sided laminex chipboard 16mm for free so, i might as well try to use it if i can. So i might give it a go and look for them instructions and carefully go thru the project. I'm handy enough with a hammer. Next step will be to take a bit of chipboard and head to the nearest bunnings store, which i think is Warrnambool, i hope.

Thanks for the advice.

'GOOD Advice!!'. Thanks very mutch.

geoffw said:
Cool!

Any pictures, info, anything?

(hehe. Steve Navra wouldn't like it- not much land value at all!)

Actauly if you had of got in quick last nite you would have seen a write up about it. But i didn't like it because i wrote it too late and after a few stubbies saturday nite. So i edited it. Will try and decribe now with a bit more sence.

Firstly its not what ppl might think when you think of 'Houseboat' a flash you buet luxury houseboat with all the trimmings, it's not.

It's fairly simple and about the size of a Jakeco transportable mobile home with oven, toilet, shower, vanity, bedroom and runs of it's own gas bottle and battery bank. So it's like a Jakeco but will have walkways put on the sides, front area and back and under that two large pontoons one each side. This later part is yet to be completed. It's fairly comfortable inside but also fairly compacked, but its what i wanted and all i could manage really with a very small budget.

I have biult it all from the ground up every stage of it! I don't know the exact figures of how mutch it has cost but its all payed for, i have bought matterial for it as i can afford it.

Don't have any photographs because i don't evan have a camera, I will get one when it's on the water maybee.

No no land value with a houseboat, mind you a mooring costs $100,000 in Echuca at the moment, actauly priced one first hand at the Echuca dock. But it's a popular taurest spot. A mooring is def out of the queston for me. It's way to dear ( they are like gold said the RE)

Since i've looked into it closely resently, for somewhere to get it near the river(on land) or on the river, it seems the best way is to put it on the land and because it's reasonably small 6mtrs x 12mtrs it can be taken down to the slip way when you want to use it. And that way dodging the costs of expensive moorings. It's a bit of trial and error at the moment. I will see how things go.

Only thing i've got is floor plans that i started with few years ago. It's been a slow project because i havent had the money to put into it unfortunately, but o'well you get there with time. Just copy and paste this link into a new opened browser. (It wont work if pressed on in the forum, it's because of geocities hosting and the file type i use). http://www.geocities.com/heybays/boat.swf

Back