Seen any good movies recently?

I watched "The Pursuit of Happyness" this week on DVD. Loved it, though very sad.

Saw "The Holiday" at the movies earlier in the year. A great 'feel good' movie.

Adrift - the Review.

Let's get to what's good about this movie.

OK. That was the good part about the movie. Now let's get to what was bad.

Ha ha - I never said it was good! It just happened to be the last movie I saw. My boyfriend and I have a competition where we see who can rent the worst movie. So far, I am winning.

My favourite part of the plot is how no-one thinks to hoist any of the ultra-skinny chicks back on board until the very end after almost everyone dies...

Some of my favourite movies (could watch them anytime)

Robin Hood - (the Disney cartoon version) - it is the "animal kingdom's version of events"

Field of Dreams - Kevin Costner, Amy Madigan, James Earl Jones, Ray Liotta

The Natural - Robert Redford, Glenn Close, Robert Duvall.

Silverado - Kevin Cline, John Cleese, Brian Dennehy, Danny Glover, Scott Glenn

Charade - Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Walter Mattau, Charles Coburn, George Kennedy (not a bad cast there).

The Magnificent Seven - Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Brosnan, Charles Coburn, Eli Wallach, Robert Vaughn (not a bad cast there either)

A Fish Called Wanda - Kevin Kline, John Cleese, Michael Palin, Jamie Lee Curtis

French Kiss - Kevin Cline, Meg Ryan, Jean Reno

Any of the early James Bond films with Sean Connery.

M

Ten Canoes..(and the making of Ten Canoes)

Hey, g'day Nat, love your new paintings, fantastic stuff, beautiful Australiana.:)

I have seen Ten Canoes, (and the documentary behind making the film).

If you can, it well worth buying/hiring or going to see, we both loved it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ten_Canoes

The documentary behind it's actual making was also fantastic, I think that was on TV (don't think it was paytv...maybe ABC or SBS)

Ten Canoes is available on dvd now btw

Partly filmed in black and white, and color, it is one of my favorite Australian films, I assess a film by how it makes me react, think and feel....seeing the *how and why it was made* was the catalyst for seeing the actual film...and I enjoyed it just as much, wonderful storytelling and great footage.

Interesting.....

'Children of Men' is my favourite movie of the last year, yet Twitch rated it as one of the worst he/she has seen. Just goes to show......

I'd like to see Running with Scissors, Sunshine and 28 Months Later.

:)
Lily

"The House of Sand and Fog" - wife heard about it, and we went for a night out (couple of years back now).

We left the theatre stunned - then we sat down for a coffee afterward and couldn't stop talking about it. It was a powerful look at life and its consequences - and it all started over a piece of real estate.

Highly recommended - but not if you like "feel good" movies - this is NOT one of those. Stars Ben Kingsley. Available on DVD.

Regards,

Finally got around to seeing *Little Miss Sunshine*

Absolutely loved it, just a no frills funny fractured tale...thought the ending where the family get up and dance with Olive was just one of the most hilarious and amazing endings of any film I have seen in a long long time...

The casting and acting could not be better (Toni Collette rocks!)

Fine work from the writer, and great effort from the Director(s), their first film.

9.5/10

Hubby and I saw Amazing Grace today. It is about William Wilberforce and his 15 year battle to abolish the slave trade. Highly recommend seeing it. What a fabulous, moving drama. High quality cast, great story, no gory scenes.

And Les, we also saw House of Sand and Fog without any idea of what it was about. We also were in shock at the way it turned out. I think if I had known what the ending was, I would not have watched it. I could not stop thinking about it for weeks afterwards. Chilling and so sad.

Hubby wants me to book The Goons live show which is playing now but I would rather have my teeth pulled :D

Wylie

Hey Wylie...

I have been hanging out to see that movie...thanks for the review.

The Australian connection to that story is that William Wilberforce was childhood friends with John Newton who is obviously the man who wrote the hymn Amazing Grace...John Newton was also the person who approached the Reverend Richard Johnson to come out with the first fleet to commence the chaplaincy of the convict colony of NSW...I had a few rellies that sailed with him over here including George Johnston (note different spelling) who later became Governor of NSW

and the rest they say is history...

I wouldn't mind seeing that Wylie.

In one of my spare days off.

Christmas Day, Good Friday- perhaps one other day in the year...

But it sounds like a good movie.

The one I enjoyed recently was Blades of Glory. Didn't stop laughing once. Had special meaning since it involves skating (even though it is on ice, it is very similar). A lot of creative license used.

I saw Dreamgirls on Foxtel last night. I thought the supporting actress Jennifer Hudson was familiar so I wikepedia'd her. She was on the 3rd season of American Idol and I always believed she was voted off because she didn't have "the look". She was voted off about 7th.

Wow look how far she has come, a Golden Globe, an Oscar and a swag of other awards for her part and she is still the same weight and still the same amazing talent.

Boy how her life has changed from going on to a reality programme.

G'day WBG,

WBG said:
Top Gun ...
Thanks for mentioning that one. It holds special memories for me. One of my sons got it on VCR and played it C-O-N-S-T-A-N-T-L-Y !!!! He told me later he watched it over 100 times :eek:

Later that year, on his PROM night, he and a mate did the "... you never close your eyes....." song to a young lady he was sweet on. Brought the house down, I'm told - but no, the lady is not in our lives, so it obviously didn't work. Still, he tried ....

WBG, to use another song title - "Thanks for the Memory",

Regards,

OMG the hotdog scene from Blades of Glory!! I crack up just thinking about hotdogs now!! That is a scream that movie...

Blood Diamond - intense, fascinating, in your face and really makes you think.

Back