Selling - determining market value of house?

I am considering selling our PPOR. We bought it brand new (spec home newly built), for $350,000, 2 years ago.

We are only really able to bite the bullet and sell it, if we can achieve a sale price that will allow us to roughly 'break even' on the house. To do this, we are going to need to be pretty certain on the achievable sales price because we are going to commit to a new house interstate, quit jobs and start moving ourselves, possibly leaving the house to sell behind (preferably not in a 'vacant' state).

How am I going to be able to effectively 'crystal ball' the sales price to work out whether to list it for sale or not? It will be not a good situation if we have moved and done the dash only to find we thought we would break even and then end up having to take a 20-40k hit on the house price.

I have been using onthehouse.com.au (I am a member) to look at the Reports on sold properties in our Suburb, then googling them to look at the sales listing and comparing the photos/size to our house (these reports are very basic and pretty long time delay).

Should I be paying a valuer to give a proper valuation, asking real estate agents over to tell me what they think (I guess they will over-quote to try and get me to pick them when we sell, which I won't fall for), pay for proper sales data (RP data or something)?

I was considering starting to inspect the other houses for sale comparable to ours, then wait till they sell and see their sales price. Taking notes and saving photos/plans etc.

One thing about where our house is, it's a very new estate. There is old areas and new areas within this one suburb (Springfield Lakes, QLD). The old area houses sell a lot cheaper, as they are ~5-12 yrs old. Our particular area, there is a cluster of maybe 300-500? houses. These are generally no more than 3, maybe 4 years old. We are also competing against new builds (some advertised for $330k turn key, seem to have everything major included..driveways, clotheslines, tv, etc...but not sure, maybe you have to buy blinds/etc). I have predominantly only been looking at sales comparables within the new streets in our little area, rather than the whole suburb as the house prices in our newer area are a lot higher than the price things sell for in the older part of the suburb.

Am I going about this the right way?

That's a tough market to make a specific call on.

A residex report from your broker or banker might be a good start.

A truemarket VAL is an option, but might also nit give u a true position.

Obviously having a chat to the local rea,s will also help, but can't be relied upon in isolation

Ta
Rolf

Do you need to sell? You can always list and do not budge lower than your desired figure. (don't forget to factor in agents commissions)

Of course the agent will try to sell for a lower price , they want their comission' but stand firm.

Thanks for the replies. Don't need to sell right now, it'd be ideal but not essential. We could wait a bit longer if we had to.

We won't have the option to convert this to an IP unfortunately so our only option is try to sell now and hope for a high enough price or delay until its certain the market has improved a bit.

If there is strong rental demand and you have been making repayments into an offset account it would be worth converting it to a rental and renting where you want to live.

Back