Selling the Businesses

One consequence of the business being sold is that the signboard will disappear.

The new owner doesn't have a actor the same sense of humour as I do.

But then not many people do.

One consequence of the business being sold is that the signboard will disappear.

The new owner doesn't have a actor the same sense of humour as I do.

But then not many people do.

You'll just have to sell you sign board skills to another store....

The Y-man

We've exchanged contracts.

The new owner will run the store until settlement. In the interim there is a vendor finance arrangement for the full amount.

Today is my last day running a Subway.

So... how does it feel? I'll bet you walk lightly today :).

Do you have to stay one after today to help them settle in and show them the ropes?

I will still be busy for December. My wife flies out to Mexico on Friday to look after her sick mother, and I will be looking after her Mexican food stall- which in December is open two days a week, not just one.

The new guy can run a Subway better than me. He has also worked in the store. So there's not that much I can show him. I found it very difficult working with him, so for my own sanity I specified that I would not be working for him.

Wow - end of an era that passed in a blur ... all the best for your mum in law ... have fun running the mexican food stand - wow - piece of cake after subway and much more fun!

Thinking of you

Having recently sold a business,the feeling the next morning is really weird.In effect you have sacked yourself,then you remember the pile of money now in your account,and go back to sleep.Enjoy!!!

Wow.

That all took a lot of time.

Twelve months from agreeing a price through to exchange in November.

And then another three months for settlement. Two months longer than it should have been.

But it has all happened now. I have cleared funds in my account. Finally.

In the meantime I'm honing up my skills in IT- a Diploma in Software Development an a software training certification. I'm not sure if either one will get me anywhere- but not doing anything will bring my mind to a grinding halt.

Wow.

That all took a lot of time.

Twelve months from agreeing a price through to exchange in November.

And then another three months for settlement. Two months longer than it should have been.

But it has all happened now. I have cleared funds in my account. Finally.

In the meantime I'm honing up my skills in IT- a Diploma in Software Development an a software training certification. I'm not sure if either one will get me anywhere- but not doing anything will bring my mind to a grinding halt.
My hat is off to you Geoff.

Very few folk have the courage to leave a perfectly good job with a good income and change careers and take on a totally new field as you've done and stick it out.

Variety is the spice of life; we're a long time dead.

Conversely, I tip my hat to those who stick at one job their entire working life. I couldn't do it.

My hat is off to you Geoff.

Very few folk have the courage to leave a perfectly good job with a good income and change careers and take on a totally new field as you've done and stick it out.
Thanks Bayview. You've also switched careers- and countries at the same time.

However it wasn't my original intention to switch careers. The business was supposed to be a managed business, with minimum input for view- like Kiyosaki's Cashflow businesses.

I was very naive. It needed full time input. Especially after the store manager walked out on me in the first month- though he couldn't run the shop in the way it needed to be run, so that was probably a good thing.

Key question is - would you do it again?
At my age- no. I worked damn hard for eight years, and I have my reward. I want to get back into a paid job because I enjoyed it, to provide a little more servicibility, and to have some spare time when I finish the day.

I have destressed so much since leaving the shop. It's just so nice not having to be there every day, and to expect phone calls no matter what the time of day or night. And it's nice not to have big brother looking over my shoulder. They justifiably pay close attention to each shop and its cleanliness and safety- but that process is also used to bully franchisees they don't like.

The sale price gave some profit, but the much bigger benefit for us was the big portion of the loan which we had paid off, ahead of schedule. That's reduced our IP debt considerably.

Well done Geoff. Make sure you put a little aside for a treat for yourself and your family. And enjoy sleeping in for a change if you can for a while :).

Oh what a feeling :D

Having been there done that 10 years ago I know exactly how you feel, I took a break and had some fun to destress fully, I think I added another 5-10 years to my life.

I enjoyed catching up on my fun factor and am now quite happy to be doing normal stuff again.

However it wasn't my original intention to switch careers. The business was supposed to be a managed business, with minimum input for view- like Kiyosaki's Cashflow businesses.
Same here and has turned out like yours...hands on.

Maybe the next one will be more "hands off".

Back