Perth - 2 houses behind existing - floor plans

Any feedback on these designs appreciated. I've made a few changes already and was quite happy with these designs. Since then I was a bit worried Bed 2 was a bit small on unit 3 so decided to build under eave and move window to that side and move robe to wall opposite so you could fit in a double bed on back wall. Also, move wall of bed 4 and have a narrow front entry. As there is direct access from the garage I think that will be used the most. To the right of the garage of unit 3 there is a gate leading to a laneway that is an 80 metre walk to the river. I like that the design is facing the laneway.
Also - the existing house is limestone render and dark grey (colorbond colour) painted roof tile. The house is typical 1965 3x1, wooden windows. Should I follow that colour scheme, or does it not matter too much? Would you build both the units same colours also.
Another change would be to move meter box to outside ensuite rather than bedroom wall on unit 3 as it's apparently not good healthwise to have meter box too close to bedroom.
Thanks in advance for opinions.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 131
looks like a standard Ross North design?

i would say these houses are a good compromise between space and efficiency.

i like the fact that north is perfectly situated on your block - always have!

elevations are very underdeveloped in my opinion - oh, and keep the wider entry hallway. adds a sense of volume to what would otherwise be a standard house.

looks like a standard Ross North design?

i would say these houses are a good compromise between space and efficiency.

i like the fact that north is perfectly situated on your block - always have!

elevations are very underdeveloped in my opinion - oh, and keep the wider entry hallway. adds a sense of volume to what would otherwise be a standard house.

Your good! I was a bit up and down on changing hallway. I actually checked heaps of different designs and companies and chose to work with their old (plans were designed 3 years ago - superceded now) standard floor plan as I liked that the living area and Alfresco faced North nicely.

Definitely need some pizzazz on the elevations :)

I can hardly see the measurements so I'm flying a little blind.

Suggestions I have:

Strata Lot 2:
- take WIR robe out of Bed 3 and make Ensuite bigger. WIR in minor bedrooms are less of a drawcard than a nice ensuite - put in double basins and if you can in any ensuite make the shower 1200 x 900 instead of just 900 x 900
- bed 2 - perhaps a double robe - under eaves to add a little space

Strata lot 3
- agree with making bed 2 bigger and putting robe under eaves

General
- if you want to increase the ability to furnish bedrooms - use highlight windows so that furniture goes under it
- I would do similar or same roof colour I think but it's not compulsory seeing as the roofs don't touch

Thanks for your views. We had our doubts about the elevations too. In the beginning I was imagining I'd have elevations closer to this. http://www.rossnorthhomes.com.au/Display-Series/The-Lexia.html
Aaron - i checked out your elevations on your website earlier in the year and really like the majority. There is a lot of companies I really dislike. I want something that won't date too badly. Westminster - I like your ideas, I'll try to scan a clearer floor plan later, and some other ideas. Stupid laptop is faulty.
I'm still waiting (waiting, waiting) for plans and from another company so will post them up one day too.

Well this is moving along very slowly! I've been ill for the past 2.5 years with Chronic Sinusitis, which is like having a head cold of varying degrees for that period of time. I was just reading it can last up to 4 years :eek: and doesn't seem to be going away anytime soon. (the doctors say going on medications is better than going under the knife, but I don't know about that!) I'm going to try to persevere and continue with this project even if I have to take it a bit slower. Any advice is appreciated and if you think I'm missing something vital, please let me know. If it gets too hard I may put off doing it.
With the new R-codes in Aug 13 I can now build 4 smaller villa's if I knock down house. The project will cost about $800,000. 3 bed,2 bath $500 x 4
Or
I can leave existing house, build 2 behind 4bed,2 bath for $430,000. Current rent $450 - $470 existing, $600 - $650 x 2 for new builds.
or
Wonder if it would be possible in future to put a granny flat in front of the house, but I very much doubt it.

At the moment I am leaning towards keeping existing house while we are getting $450 - $470 rent for it and don't need to spend. It's just your ave 1965 3x1 house that was a knock down that we fully renovated (including digging up old drainage pipes and putting in new) I think maybe in the future it may make sense to knock it down.

Here is my plans from another company. The middle unit is exactly this floor plan, only diff is two windows in bed 1 are the same size. I'm thinking of changing bed 1 and 3 robes to under eaves and making ensuite bigger with 2 basins, bigger shower, (get rid of wir as I'll have entire under-eave as a robe so the bedroom can be a bit roomier also. I was thinking of changing bed 1 to an undereave robe and having a bigger ensuite with toilet door. http://www.ventura-id.com.au/models/single-storey-homes/tk-kingsford-alfresco.aspx

Attached is there original plan, and my altered plan. Would appreciate opinions.

I had a look at some display homes at Caversham recently to get some idea's. I really liked this floorplan/sizes of rooms so I'm wondering if I should just start all over again and follow what I know I like,cut out some rooms to make it fit and have a drafter draw up my plans that are more to what I want, or just work with the plans I have already?? http://www.celebrationhomes.com.au/home-and-land-package/monroe Celebrations won't build house behind house or developments so they are out.

The front of this unit is how I envisaged my units to look like. what do you think of the style? http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-wa-bayswater-114159335

1st scan is upside down, will do another a bit later!!

Attachments

• avenwhole 001.jpg
    avenwhole 001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 62
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 65
New scans - 1st two are original, 2nd two are my changes

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 51
Personally I'd start again if you have time on your side.

There are so many new things to perk up your plans that I think would add value. I think at the very least the changes you have suggested plus increase the size of the alfresco.

It would be nice to see what a fresh eye could come up with.

If you choose to keep the front house then look at the lot sizes so that perhaps you make the front lot big enough to subdivide into 2 down the track. For example you could build 2 of the 3 x2s in the rear then when you feel the front no longer has any value demolish it and build another 2 of the 3x2s.

How big will your lots be if divided into 4? You would be surprised what a development builder can fit into that. The plans you have at the moment and the Ventura ID are not that space efficient. I think you could do better.

Great ideas Westminster, you are a legend! :) Out of curiosity, did you like that bullnose look on the house for sale? My block is 1568 sqm. (It keeps getting smaller. When I purchased it was suppose to be 1856, then council found a mistake as another plan had 1586, but when I had it surveyed I discovered its 1568)

Great ideas Westminster, you are a legend! :) Out of curiosity, did you like that bullnose look on the house for sale? My block is 1568 sqm. (It keeps getting smaller. When I purchased it was suppose to be 1856, then council found a mistake as another plan had 1586, but when I had it surveyed I discovered its 1568)

I do like that look - I'm a big fan of the ageless ness of federation style.

The zoning is R25? Sorry I have a terrible memory.

R 20 r20 r20

Hmmm are you sure you can do 4? I see you meet the minimum of 350 but not the average of 450 as that would need a total of 1800sqm.

If your council will let you do 4 then you have almost 200sqm of house possible for each block. I'm fitting 4 x 2 with theatre in that in Gwelup ;)

Hmmm are you sure you can do 4? I see you meet the minimum of 350 but not the average of 450 as that would need a total of 1800sqm.

If your council will let you do 4 then you have almost 200sqm of house possible for each block. I'm fitting 4 x 2 with theatre in that in Gwelup ;)

I'm not positive, you just reminded me about a missed call, I think they mentioned I could build 3, will clarify as we'd previously discussed building 4. I'm not sure if they read new codes as they didn't appear familiar with it earlier. I should speak with council too in case there's anything in the pipeline. I bet as soon as I build they will change the zoning.

Back