Seriously? Libs want to change Tony Abbot for Turnbull or Bishop?

Looks like we are about to get our 5th Prime Minister in 5 years. Maybe instead of about worrying about interest rates trying to motivate the economy, how about trying for a stable Federal government?

I think ever since Howard left office, these newbies lack experience....many get their without having achieved much because the world somehow now wants younger PMs/Presidents. Hawke had charisma and could wing it without much political experience and had Keating who was a great treasurer and mind.

Howard was a real in and under type politician who never gave up and battled endless wars before being triumphant - he knew how hard it was to get there...also had a decent treasurer in Costello...

It seems the best governments = charismatic or tough leaders backed up by accomplished treasurers.

Similarly it's also the same story in the corporate world.

I'm not sure that we can compare the Howard/Costello era in regards to economic management.The economy was booming from the mining industry, so they had a lot more cash coming in, and they failed to invest in infrastructure.

I think if they had to manage during and post GFC more cracks would have shown and we wouldn't be so kind towards them either. But we will never know.

Looks like we are about to get our 5th Prime Minister in 5 years. Maybe instead of about worrying about interest rates trying to motivate the economy, how about trying for a stable Federal government?
TA is trying to do this, and continually says so to the media who are absolutely fanatical now about their pursuit of the Leadership topic.

The Libs have had a very good first year as a Govt with things they have achieved...stopped the boats, repealed the Carbon/Mining tax, 3 trade agreements, reduced Gubb spending, and probably the deficit (don't know the actual figures on that one).

Not bad for pack of idiots, hey? Yep TA is a total loser. :rolleyes:

All that has gone wrong for them is they haven't advertised their successes very well to the dumb public, and TA has made a few personal slip-ups...the knighthood being the most public; who cares, really? Is that the basis for whether the public will have you as a PM or not? FFS.

He knows this and will just move-on, learn from all that and smash it this year.

The media need to frack off and give it a rest.

It's akin to a parent/s running a really good house-hold, but accidentally put the coloured socks in with the whites when doing the washing. It's a mistake, and the kids will whine about it, but does it affect the condition of the household in general? No.

The dumb public like to see a PM that they like, and that is seemingly more important than one who is setting the ship on a long-term better course.

I have to disagree with the very good first year claim BayView.

He banged on and on about broken promises the previous government made and he has done the same on a whole host of issues.

Also, the deficit is getting worse under him not better atm.

Does the entire party hate him or only the far right conservatives? I bet that there are numerous first term back benchers who support Turnbull.
The deficit may be getting worse but it is not without attempting to turn things around, the previous governments head in the sand attitude on this was nothing short of breathtaking.

I have to disagree with the very good first year claim BayView.

He banged on and on about broken promises the previous government made and he has done the same on a whole host of issues.

Also, the deficit is getting worse under him not better atm.

and probably the deficit (don't know the actual figures on that one).
was the statement - I don't actually know. I would put it to the stats nerds to find out for us.

I think in terms of "getting worse"; we need to look at the overall context of what Labor managed to do in 6 years, versus what Libs have managed in a year or so.

Keep in mind; the Labor Party never managed to decrease the deficit in any of it's 6 years, from memory...only managed to escalate it further each year. Happy to be proved wrong on that though.

If the Libs have "slowed down the bleeding" -- which means the the deficit may be still growing, but at a much slower rate than what was happening under the two previous clowns; then you have to call that an improvement; don't you think?

Let's see what the result is after another 4.5 years.

To be fair; Labor took 6 years to rack-up their deficit, it would be fair to assume it will take the Libs that long to repair the damage.

Are you and the rest of the public prepared to give them that amount of time to do it?

If they can do it in 3 years before they get turfed out again by the dumb public, it'd be a miracle.

And they are dumb; look at the Polls for the preferred PM right now...Bill Shorten in a no-contest.

It's insane.

Last edited:
Does the entire party hate him or only the far right conservatives? I bet that there are numerous first term back benchers who support Turnbull.
Agree. If they think he can save their jobs, they will find a way to support him.

The deficit may be getting worse but it is not without attempting to turn things around, the previous governments head in the sand attitude on this was nothing short of breathtaking.

Not sure about that. Hockey gave $9 billion to the RBA that the RBA didn't want or need, for purely political purposes. Abbott has his hobby horses, like the $245m school chaplains plan. Abbott has cut things he doesn't believe in, like the ABC and science, under the guise of a budget emergency. They could save billions with a simple change to superannuation, but they won't do it, because it's too politically difficult.

I honestly don't think the current Liberal leadership woes are as serious as when Rudd/Gillard/Rudd was PM.

It seems here there are grumbles by a few MPs (mainly backbenchers) whereas with Rudd and towards the end of Gillard, there were many including prominent front beachers who hated them.

I think for now, it's just the media exaggerating many bits of small news, surely every incumbent PMs has had to face a few who wanted out before??

Abbott is safe for now I think, though if he keeps stuffing up as he has recently his days might be numbered and I'd predict the end of him by late 2015.

Adults. Yeah right.

Crikey - Remember Labor?s ?skyrocketing debt?? The Coalition?s is much worse

"If $178.1 billion is the debt level attributable to Labor, then it can be argued that by the end of this financial year the Coalition will have blown out Labor?s debt by $66.7 billion ($244.8 billion to $178.1 billion) or 37.5%. In one budget."

Like I said; one year of attempting to reverse the trend, versus 6 years of destruction.

Dropping revenues is the wild car I suppose. Pretty hard to decrease debt if the income dries up. Not an excuse; just a bit of clarity about how things go.

The comparison is Labor who inherited a surplus, and turned it into a pile of garbage.

You are all far too impatient and critical to be able to make the call this early.

Talk to me about it at the next Fed election; let's see what the result is then.

Last edited:
The Libs have had a very good first year as a Govt with things they have achieved...stopped the boats, repealed the Carbon/Mining tax, 3 trade agreements, reduced Gubb spending, and probably the deficit (don't know the actual figures on that one).

They've stopped the boats, as promised. Tick.

The repeal of a couple of taxes is hardly a major achievement. Legislation is added and repealed every sitting day. I can't imagine John Howard saying, 'we had a good year because we repealed some legislation.'

They haven't reduced spending or reduced the deficit. The still haven't passed major components of the budget. (Sure, they have a tough senate, but so did Gillard and her govt managed to pass legislation.)

The 'Captain's calls' have been a disaster. The broken promises have killed off any public affection, because of the staggering hypocrisy.

He has complained about sexism against his Chief of Staff, complained about media bias and broke promises. He criticised the former government heavily for doing exactly as he has done. There seems to be no self awareness.

IMO he's been a terrible Prime Minister. Hopefully he gets rolled soon and Turnbull or Bishop take over.

Dan the 9 billion was to ensure appropriate funding to the RBA due to losses in its foreign currency holdings with a rapid increase in the value of the AUD.
The ABC 's funding cuts were no more than any other government department.

They've stopped the boats, as promised. Tick.

IMO he's been a terrible Prime Minister. Hopefully he gets rolled soon and Turnbull or Bishop take over.

Well at least he has the ability and upfront charm to insult the Australian working tax paying public without offending them,and rumors from media backdoor control people and other invisible cupboard dwellers are only ever any good when they are denied..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWjUuWzF43I

Dan the 9 billion was to ensure appropriate funding to the RBA due to losses in its foreign currency holdings with a rapid increase in the value of the AUD.

No it wasn't. The RBA reserves were lower in 2010/11, and no injection was required then.

The RBA requested that no dividend be taken from it at the moment. Hockey chose instead to inject $8.8 billion, and take dividends in the future.

Put money in now, increase the deficit, blame Labor, take money later, increase income later. A purely cynical, political move.

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/legal/34309-why-did-the-government-just-give-the-rba-9-billion.html#

http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...to-make-himself-look-good-20131029-2wcy3.html

Back