Settlement t'mrw. Hold back $250 for unmowed lawn/uncleared drains?

Putting aside chasing up the money to clear some leaves, what are your plans to deal with this? It's great information to have. You are going to have to take charge and get someone around regularly to clear those drains. No point putting any sort of a directive in a lease or anything like that. If clear drains are essential for that property, YOU will need to make sure they are clear.

Depreciator, thank you for your comments. I appreciate them.
I have had 2 of my Qld IPs - depreciation schedule done by you
You charged me $715 for each report with a discount for $55 for being a Somersoft member

I recently bought 2 more Qld IPs, the second of which settled today
Would you be recommending yourself to do the depreciation schedule for them?

Your initial question, concerning lawns growing and leaves falling between contract and settlement is quite extra-ordinary, as other investors have also pointed out.

I'd humbly suggest perusing the sharemarket instead.

Thank you for your comments, Dazz. I shall take it onboard for my due consideration.

As for your humble suggestion to peruse the sharemarket,
as I possess neither the inclination, motivation or the necessary knowledge to take protective measures to guard against untoward losses in the stockmarket,
I shall humbly decline to take up your suggestion.
In the same humble vein, I humbly suggest that you stop pushing people in a direction that they may know nothing about. I think it's called 'potential liability'.

Hello everybody, we were successful in our legal request to have 250 deducted from the purchase price to clear the drains and mow the lawns.

Put the money towards getting the drain done properly so it cannot clog, flood, and cause serious damage. A sump and pump might be an option.

Maybe the vendors were happy with only the $250 reduction because you didn't find the "real" problem :eek:.

Seriously, if just all seems a bit cheap to me. I've never asked for such a reduction, never will. You sound very pleased with yourself, and I guess part of that is that some of us here are saying you shouldn't have asked for it.

All I would say is that if the drains in this house are as problematic as they are made out in this thread, then you will seriously have to make provision to have them cleared regularly. Your tenants don't care about your property, and as Dazz says, writing it in the lease holds no water, as it is the landlords job. Most tenants don't care enough to clear a drain on a monthly basis. Most tenants like renting because they don't have to worry about this sort of maintenance. Heck, even most owners don't do it regularly.

It's simply a stage that all new residential Landlord's go through as they mature. They finally realise that the true burden of the vast majority of things fall into their lap, as dictated by the RTA they are forced to work under.

The troubles all originate when young people start investing, start buying property and then start assuming things....like...."I'm now then Landlord, therefore I'm the boss and the Tenant has to do what I tell them".....without ever consulting the rules of the game to which they have just started playing.

For some it takes years to actually read the rules of the game. Some never do !!

The depression starts to set in when they finally realise that all of those assumptions about what the actual rules of engagement with Tenants are that they ran with (some for many years) turn out to be patently false and the cold reality of their responsibilities start to press down upon them.

Consider yourself lucky....you seem to now be becoming aware of the significant burdens and risks now placed upon you by law. Pop the kettle on and have a jolly good read of the RTA for the full extent of what you just signed up for.

Welcome to residential Landlording. Have fun !!

Nope, didn't wait to find out. Drain all cleared.

But hang on.

Did they clean out the pipe that leads away from the trench drain?

If not, that could be full of leaves and dirt right out to the side of the road. Particularly if it has been neglected over a period of time giving silt time to build up.

From one problem to the other.

Welcome to land-lording (be it that you have been doing it for some time)

But hang on.

Did they clean out the pipe that leads away from the trench drain?

If not, that could be full of leaves and dirt right out to the side of the road. Particularly if it has been neglected over a period of time giving silt time to build up.

From one problem to the other.

Welcome to land-lording (be it that you have been doing it for some time)

Oh no! :eek: Slap forehead!:(
I didn't think of that, handyandy, thanks for telling me. Grateful :eek:
Now, I'll have do a washout and less piping up!

Back