Settlement t'mrw. Hold back $250 for unmowed lawn/uncleared drains?

Can you show me where the waterproofing is on these concrete structures subject to water pooling against the surface?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...ChiAeNxICoAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1521&bih=685
pinkboy

Pinkboy, I'm sorry to burst your bubble but not all concete is the same. They are different mixes, compositions and strengths for different applications

Learn about the basic design mixes used in concrete production. There are many different types, strengths, and compositions of concrete, each with characteristics that make them perform better for different applications. Here are a few examples:

Strength is usually determined by compression testing, and is expressed in Pounds per Square Inch (PSI). Normal concrete mixes range from 2500 PSI to 5000 PSI, with engineered design mixes of over 10,000 PSI used in specialized applications. Lower strengths are also available for grouts, but since these are usually used for displacement, block-fill, and filling abandoned utility lines, we won't spend much time on these products. Here are some common uses for different strength concretes. Note that these are not exclusive, as designers and structural engineers may spec different uses in specialized construction projects.
2500PSI concrete may be used in driveways, walkways, and even floor slabs on grade. This concrete is usually the cheapest available from batch plants. Used on solidly compacted fill material (subgrade), this concrete performs satisfactorily for these projects, but many professional concrete workers prefer a higher strength product due to warranty concerns, and some building codes may not allow its use for all of these applications.
3000PSI concrete in many locations is a standard multipurpose mixture for general use in construction. It is durable, has sufficient cement to give it good finishing characteristics, and can be placed fairly wet without sacrificing quality.
3500PSI concrete is used for applications where surface spalling is not acceptable, and significant loading is expected. One example would be paving curbs, where heavy traffic may drive on the surface. Other uses include building footings, bond beams, grade beams, and floor slabs where heavy loads may be moved or stored.
4000PSI concrete is used for heavy traffic pavement, heavy use floor slabs like shops and warehouses, and concrete footings designed to support heavy loads.
5000PSI and higher concrete mixes are usually used for specialized construction projects where high impact resistances, very low wear rates, or extreme conditions are expected.

If a property has been presented to me as a buyer in a certain state, I expect that property to be in the same state when I settle- apart from fair wear and tear. If it's going to cost me money to bring it back to that state then I should be able to claim that cost.

If I inspected a property and then the day of settlement there was a substantial change, I would consider holding money back. I would possibly do that if the vendor had removed light fittings, the dishwasher, the air-conditioner etc.

But to hold back money because some leaves had dropped into a gutter and the grass had grown in the weeks leading up to the settlement, especially know the vendors were overseas and really being "held to ransom" just does't sit well with me. I gather I'm not alone in that.

I just find it petty and something I'd never do.

Wow BeanieGirl - you can cut and paste from Google!

Nowhere in your fluff demonstrates how concrete gets 'softened' by pooling water which is what you were referring to....and it wont because it doesnt happen. Even the weakest of concrete (driveways, paths etc) have varying amounts of water that will sit on them, and they use the same concrete mix for pooling water applications such as plantar boxes, grease traps, drains, sewers etc.

Do you even understand what you just linked? Even 2500psi concrete would have significant strength compared to pooling water on the surface which would be significantly in the decimals measured in psi.

Having worked with concrete for 10 odd years repairing failed concrete mostly (crack repairing, crack injection, waterproofing, applying modified epoxy binder toppings etc), I can tell you it doesnt just go soft. Failure usually arises from load, impact, rio swelling (concrete cancer), substrate movement, chemical attack etc. Concrete is basically inert once it is cured to atmospheric and aqua conditions.

You really should get a dilmah and read through the RTA link Dazz put forward!

pinkboy

PS. I have a much thicker skin to burst my bubble Princess!

But to hold back money because some leaves had dropped into a gutter and the grass had grown in the weeks leading up to the settlement, especially know the vendors were overseas and really being "held to ransom" just does't sit well with me. I gather I'm not alone in that.

I just find it petty and something I'd never do.

Wylie, we did not 'hold the sellers to ransom'. A nice polite email was sent by my conveyancer to the owners soliciters. The message passed back was that the owners said that they were happy to do so as it was hard for them (not being in Brisbane) to arrange for someone to do these tasks. If the owners were happy to do it and did not think it a 'petty' but a very reasonable request, why are you so unhappy about it?

If the owners had refused, we would have walked away and not pushed the issue. It doesn't hurt to ask nicely.

As I said in my original message, 'Just wanted to know what's fair to do'
This is the first time ever I have ever asked for help or advice in Somersoft.
99% of the time, I am providing information or links or suggestions about suburbs.

I don't think I will ever ask another question here on Somersoft again. :(

I doubt the RTA link would provide me any information about concrete.

My comment was designed to get you off a subject you know squat about, and back on track to the real underlying issue you originally presented.

I hope that drain of yours isn't made of concrete....just in case it softens.

pinkboy

I'm not "unhappy" about it. How could I be unhappy?

But I have been on the receiving end of such (what I perceive to be) petty requests as a vendor. It soured the feeling of goodwill I had towards the purchaser, which I think is a pity.

I just wouldn't have done it. Others said the same, and I'm wondering why you did ask the question when you seemed hellbent on doing it anyway, even after most people suggested it wasn't the right thing to do.

It doesn't affect me, but I'm just trying to explain why this stuff isn't something I would ever do, because I've been on the receiving end of it.

Don't let it stop you asking questions though. But if you had no intention of hearing answers that didn't agree with your plan, why did you post the question?

But, please, I'm not upset and I hate to think you might not consider never asking a question again. You do need a thick skin around here sometimes :).

'Just wanted to know what's fair to do'

I just wouldn't have done it. Others said the same, and I'm wondering why you did ask the question when you seemed hellbent on doing it anyway, even after most people suggested it wasn't the right thing to do.

Agreed Wylie - Beanie Girl asked the question of the forum - what's fair to do -and the vast majority of respondents said the same thing....the forum's answer was more than clear, yet she went ahead and asked it anyway.

Does it matter that the Vendors in the US said OK ?? Not really. It just proves she was dealing with some pushover Vendors who were ill advised by their lawyer.

All up - $ 250....but that's just that day. The longer term issue at much greater expense will be sorting out that drain so that it functions properly without Tenant physical intervention.

Hi Beanie Girl

Need your advice. Settlement on Brisbane IP tomorrow. Pre-settlement inspection was conducted yesterday. Almost everything was in the same condition as at the building inspection which is good news except:

a) the grass has not been cut
b) the shallow drains at the front of the house are filling up with leaf litter and debris

The drains need to be cleared otherwise the ground floor may flood
The backyard of the property has lots of rocks -- a landscaping feature by the former owners so the grass has to be cut mainly by edge trimmer (instead of lawn mower)

Is it possible to deduct $250 from the sale price at settlement because the current owners/managing agent have not maintained the grounds adequately?

I should mention that the owners have moved to USA for some time now. At least half a year. They are not present in Australia to do the grounds maintenance. The tenants they had in their absence did the grounds maintenance but I think since October, the owners have had the house empty and no tenants so their agent could more easily do showings to sell the house.

Appreciate any advice on what's fair to do, thanks!

In relation to the queries

Yes, was obviously the answer as you've done it :D

No, seems to be the main feedback on the latter, with most not bothering

The drains, I should add are immediately in front of the house, the moment you step out the door, you step on the grates of the drain. Our building inspector did the pre-settlement inspection and warned us that if the drains are not cleared, water would flow straight into the house in a heavy downpour 'cos the drains are choked.

So it's not such a ridiculous issue at all, I'd hate to be slapped with a huge damage/insurance bill right after we took possession. Insurance probably would not even pay because they would say it's our fault for not doing grounds maintenance.

As Dazz pointed out, this is a potential and ongoing issue then

Wow, this one is still going.
I think Beanie Girl acknowledged about 4 pages ago that she realised keeping on top of the drains was going to be her responsibility. She might share with people the name of her building inspector - he seems to have been on his game that day.
Holding back $250 at settlement might seem petty, but I have read of landlords doing things even more petty - the most recent string that comes to mind was the one titled something like 'What's the tightest thing you have done as a landlord in 2013?'
Probably also worth noting that from what I can tell in the thread Beanie Girl now has 4 properties under her belt. That's 4 more than a lot of people.

Wow, this one is still going.
I think Beanie Girl acknowledged about 4 pages ago that she realised keeping on top of the drains was going to be her responsibility. She might share with people the name of her building inspector - he seems to have been on his game that day.
Holding back $250 at settlement might seem petty, but I have read of landlords doing things even more petty - the most recent string that comes to mind was the one titled something like 'What's the tightest thing you have done as a landlord in 2013?'
Probably also worth noting that from what I can tell in the thread Beanie Girl now has 4 properties under her belt. That's 4 more than a lot of people.

One of our sales was delayed over a missing hose. Had to tell the agents buy one from Bunnings just to get it over and done with.

I reckon there'd be spouses that might withhold if the lawns weren't mowed and the status of leaves weren't in order.

Giggle!
Geoff, you're terrible! :D
But your play on words is fantastic! (lou_e - li_e)
Are you a Lit major?
Your quick wit on word association is marvellous.
Thanks.

But here's the advantage of the Internets.

You can read something, take an hour to think of a reply, and post.

And somebody comes along and says, "That was quick!".

(And I'm not thinking of my spice/spouse when I say that).

Back