Seven Hills vs. Girraween/Toongabbie/Pendle Hill

Hi guys,

I know there have been a few threads on SS about Seven Hills, Girraween, Toongabbie, Pendle Hill....However here goes one more :).

We are currently based in Girraween around 12 minutes walk from Toongabbie train station and shops (Woolies, dry cleaners, other grocery stores etc) and we really like the area.

However, looking at Seven Hills - although being even further from Parramatta (and city) than Girraween, I believe Seven Hills has better long term prospects. Seven Hills has a better train station (more developed and greater train activity), access to M2, next to Bella Vista and Kings Langley that both appear to be higher in demand. Prices in Seven Hills appear to be cheaper than Girraween/Toongabbie, Pendle Hill. Girraween has a selective school and hence more competition. While in Seven Hills I've noted that better 4BR houses have sold for $450k-$500k, while Girraween has asking prices for 4BR starting from $560k...

I am keen to know for PPOR purchase which one would you prefer and why?

Thanks,

MsAli.

The problem I find with Girraween is that it is seriously over priced. I think there are good finds in Seven Hills and I agree with the comment about the train station. The problem with Wenty, Toongabbie and Pendle Hill stations are that they dont have frequent trains.

Regards

Shahin

Thanks Shahin! I've only been to three open homes so far and I see there are SO MANY people going to each in the area...A 4BR house that needs some work and has a lounge the size of a bedroom is listed for close to $570k. And it's not even close to the train station....If I were to put a price on it it, I won't pay more than 500k. But again there is a lot of new development happening in the area where OTP 'townhouses' are selling for ridiculous prices of 520k+...gives one a mis representation of the fair market value...

The problem I find with Girraween is that it is seriously over priced.
Remember the 'good school' factor. Houses are also generally larger. I believe the crime rate is also less compared to nearby areas (at least it feels like it).

I think there are good finds in Seven Hills and I agree with the comment about the train station.
Have you ever parked your car at SH station for a day?

The problem with Wenty, Toongabbie and Pendle Hill stations are that they dont have frequent trains.
Taken from 131500.info - From Pendle Hill to Central

Code:
Option	Depart	Arrive	Travel time
1  	 7:02am	 7:40am	 38mins	  	 
2  	 7:08am	 7:52am	 44mins	  	 
3  	 7:16am	 7:55am	 46mins	  	 
4  	 7:29am	 8:01am	 32mins		 
5  	 7:32am	 8:10am	 38mins	  	 
6  	 7:42am	 8:16am	 34mins		 
7  	 7:46am	 8:25am	 39mins	  	 
8 	 7:56am	 8:31am	 35mins
8 Train Services in an hour (during peak time) is not frequent enough? That is one train every 7.5 mins!

That's the trains in the morning - what do they look like on the way back say after 6ish?

They stop at those stations every 15 minutes and I know because i did it for 4 years.

A 450sqm fibro house in Girraween in need of a reno and no where near the station was going for $450k. I just don't think its worth it.

Not bagging out Girraween but just think its too overpriced for my liking.

Regards

Shahin

Last edited:
I catch the train to/from Pendle hill and if u catch a train from the city after 6.15 it's a slow ride home. Otherwise it takes me just over 40mins with a change of platforms at parra.

I've heard that break and enters are very high in seven hills. Not sure whether the number is high as seven hills spans over a large area compared to other suburbs or if the crime rate is actually higher there.

If you are looking at seven hills, the bit to be after is the triangle between Abbot Road and Old Windsor Road/Seven Hills Rd.

8 Train Services in an hour (during peak time) is not frequent enough? That is one train every 7.5 mins!

Agree. Its not that bad. I take a train everyday to and fro.
And yes, get a seat too. I usually also catch a slow train from Pendle and change at Westmead for a fast one. I remember taking 45 mins to reach North Sydney from the city during peak hours.

Some houses are overpriced, but then buyers are not making informed decision, raising the bar even higher.

That's the trains in the morning - what do they look like on the way back say after 6ish?

Code:
Monday, 21 January 2013 Leave after: 5:30pm

Option Depart	Arrive 	Travel time	
1  	 5:29pm	 6:09pm	 40mins		 
2  	 5:35pm	 6:09pm	 34mins	  	 
3  	 5:44pm	 6:25pm	 41mins		 
4  	 5:50pm	 6:25pm	 35mins	  	 
5  	 5:59pm	 6:40pm	 41mins		 
6  	 6:05pm	 6:40pm	 35mins	  	 
7  	 6:14pm	 6:55pm	 41mins		 
8  	 6:21pm	 6:55pm	 34mins	  	 
9  	 6:44pm	 7:25pm	 41mins		 

Monday, 21 January 2013 Leave after: 5:30pm

Option Depart	Arrive 	Travel time
1  	 5:38pm	 6:15pm	 37mins		 
2  	 5:41pm	 6:18pm	 37mins		 
3  	 5:44pm	 6:30pm	 46mins		 
4  	 5:50pm	 6:30pm	 40mins	  	 
5  	 5:55pm	 6:33pm	 38mins		 
6  	 5:59pm	 6:45pm	 46mins		 
7  	 6:05pm	 6:45pm	 40mins

To me that is not a big difference.

Remember, 15 mins interval at the arrival doesn't mean you need to wait for 15 mins at Central. You can always get a later train (6 mins later) and catch the one you missed.
Eg:
Code:
1  	 5:29pm	 6:09pm	 40mins		 
2  	 5:35pm	 6:09pm	 34mins

A 450sqm fibro house in Girraween in need of a reno and no where near the station was going for $450k. I just don't think its worth it.
Is it in the school catchment area?

Well... i have attached the median price for the postcode 2145 taken from investsmart.com.au.

Westmead - 607 K
Wentworthville - 512K (95K less)
Pendle Hill - 450K (62K less)
Girraween - 440 (10K less)

The distribution seems fine to me.

Attachments

• HousePrice2145.JPG
    HousePrice2145.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 146
If you are looking at seven hills, the bit to be after is the triangle between Abbot Road and Old Windsor Road/Seven Hills Rd.

I've heard of this 'composers' area (forget the real name they use) and have heard good reports

Looks good BUT it is not walking distance to the station. Wouldn't this be a negative factor?

I was looking at a 750m radius of the station - First - fourth avenues, even the other side - Endeavour st. Also Pioneer, Hope streets.

I am not an expert though so let us know what you think...

Thanks

In general, the closer to the station you go the more issues you get from transient pedestrians. If you do look in this radius try to get in a side street or culdesac which is not a pedestrian path. I do a lot of work in the seven hills area and close in properties seem to get the most graffiti and kicked in colorbond fences from drunk idiots walking home from the station.

In general, the closer to the station you go the more issues you get from transient pedestrians. If you do look in this radius try to get in a side street or culdesac which is not a pedestrian path. I do a lot of work in the seven hills area and close in properties seem to get the most graffiti and kicked in colorbond fences from drunk idiots walking home from the station.

Great point!!! Thanks Dave

Rahnjets why do the numbers not seem right to you? CH is a very high owner occupied area, many with views to the city and on large blocks. Pemulwuy is only a few years old, hence the housing is generally of much higher quality than surrounding suburbs and the demographic is different to the surrounding suburbs.

I'm currently spending every waking hour trying to find a decent rental in these areas so have a lot of very recent experience in checking out each suburb and some of the rentals within them.

Rahnjets why do the numbers not seem right to you? CH is a very high owner occupied area, many with views to the city and on large blocks. Pemulwuy is only a few years old, hence the housing is generally of much higher quality than surrounding suburbs and the demographic is different to the surrounding suburbs.

I'm currently spending every waking hour trying to find a decent rental in these areas so have a lot of very recent experience in checking out each suburb and some of the rentals within them.

I did not say that one suburb is better than the other. What I meant was Pendle and Girraween has a train station closeby and a selective school to boost its price. Pemulwuy and CH dont. You can see some house listings for under 500K in CH, but not usually in Girraween and PH

Rahnjets a lot of people actually prefer to live in a suburb that does not have a train station. Different demographic , less transient and generally quieter. Suburbs on the train line are also highly developed which turns a lot of owner occupiers off. That said, it's usually a better Investment to buy on a train line for these reasons.

Thanks guys...

@Dave - that triangle is a bit further from the train station :(. Toongabbie, Pendle Hill, Girraween will still take priority for me. I read elsewhere that the east side of Toongabbie station is Parramatta council. Just driving around that side has a better feel than the west side as well as it looks neater than Girraween (which is oh-so-popular these days).

Liked this sold house which had potential for value add:
http://www.onthehouse.com.au/reports/property_profile/13389818/8_Ulonga_Place_TOONGABBIE_NSW_2146/

Sold for $500k - agent believes it's "below market" selling price as the house had a lot of structural issues. I don't quite understand...I thought that's a decent price....and I wouldn't have paid more than that even for this house even if it was without these structural issues.

Thoughts?

Back