Shameful honesty

You've been moaning on these boards about affordability for ages now, yet it takes less than 4 minutes to find examples of brand spanking new 4 x 2 brick and tile homes on their own block of land for less than 250K within a mainland capital city and STILL you find fault with it.
I've never said that there aren't properties out there that can be bought by FHBs. My arguments have been that property is overpriced based on historical comparison which has been caused by a credit bubble.

I'm sure if those properties at 40km out were too expensive then yourself and others on the board would just find examples 60km out. Meaningless.

There are plenty of opportunities out there, for first home buyers or any other buyers. I cannot see that there is anything to be gained by taking the slightest notice of what other people do or don't do.
Great attitude and this is why it confuses me that we are continuing to see articles (and even posts on here) hassling FHBs and those that choose to sit out of the market... just let them be. If the market is as robust as most on here would have you believe then it will take care of itself!

Great attitude and this is why it confuses me that we are continuing to see articles (and even posts on here) hassling FHBs and those that choose to sit out of the market... just let them be. If the market is as robust as most on here would have you believe then it will take care of itself!

How about you stop hassling and 'let the market be'...as you say...it will take care of itself.

My arguments have been that property is overpriced based on historical comparison which has been caused by a credit bubble.

Boohoo. These matters are way outside your influence.

Stop complaining about the situation and adjust your tactics.

You obviously haven't understood your own quote at the footer of all your posts.

Boohoo. These matters are way outside your influence.
Stop complaining about the situation and adjust your tactics.
You obviously haven't understood your own quote at the footer of all your posts.
:confused: I agree they are outside my influence. I'm not complaining about the situation, simply commentating on it. I did adjust my tactics, sold property Dec 2009, have basically been 100% precious metals since. Over last couple of weeks have scaled back to 50% invested in metals (50% cash). Now keeping my eyes open for value (may be back into metals at some point, may be something else).

:confused: I agree they are outside my influence. I'm not complaining about the situation, simply commentating on it. I did adjust my tactics, sold property Dec 2009, have basically been 100% precious metals since. Over last couple of weeks have scaled back to 50% invested in metals (50% cash). Now keeping my eyes open for value (may be back into metals at some point, may be something else).
just wondering did you make handsome profit when you sold it?

yet it takes less than 4 minutes to find examples of brand spanking new 4 x 2 brick and tile homes on their own block of land for less than 250K within a mainland capital city and STILL you find fault with it.

I guess it boils down to people like you like to B&M. Knock yourself out.

Q.E.D.

I think Perth is a very different situation to the likes of Sydney however and I suspect that angst amoung first home buyers is higher in places like Sydney than it is in Perth.

The government here is quite progressive with releasing land and does not take the **** with developers charging ridiculous levies for government services.

In Sydney the only way to buy affordable homes is to go to failed estates. Places where they either have a high crime problem or have no services.

There is scope in the Sydney basin to develop just like Perth for at least another 30 years. The issue is Sydney siders have a real shut the door after they get in attitude to development. Places like Baulko which were developed heavily in the 70s and 80s upon development then whinged that the next ring was getting developed. Trouble was Bob Carr listened to them and in 1995 started an urban consolidation policy which meant fringe land became ridiculously expensive to develop.

This flowed on to places like Baulko and everywhere for that matter. If they built a freeway and a fast train to say maroota and opened up broadscale development taking say 10k per lot to pay for the train I would be there with bells on. The land values when broken down to 1/2 acre lots are only 40k per lot. Of course you have to develop it etc but their is massive coin to be made their if only it was allowed. Of course allowing it would turn it into a Perth and other outlying areas which take an hour to get into the city would fall in value hence I don't think they would do it.

As a family person I have no issue with the Perth situation. At least their is an option of affordable homes in areas which are acceptable in my opinion to a young family. No disrespect intended but I would not say this of mount druitt, St Marys or Bidwell I am afraid.

Allow the development of fringe land, put in the infrastructure and the rest takes care of itself. Young families then have an option to build and what you find is whole burbs with similar people with similar aspirations. Very different to the affordable areas of Sydney's west.

Nah....just check Somersoft because property investors know what every FHB wants ;)

:D

Power of media these days, say whatever you want and suddenly it's true, no need to prove anything.

When we bought our PPOR 11 years ago I don't remember inspecting any 4x2 newly mansions, nor I remember any of my friends wanting to by 4x2 either.

So easy to generalize things.

:D

Power of media these days, say whatever you want and suddenly it's true, no need to prove anything.

When we bought our PPOR 11 years ago I don't remember inspecting any 4x2 newly mansions, nor I remember any of my friends wanting to by 4x2 either.

So easy to generalize things.

i think it is more about the standard and the location rather than actual 4 x2, the FHB's that complain " i would not travel 30 min to work' , "that is a dump" etc that annoys people. It is not that they can't afford a first property it is just that they won't lower expectations to get into the market and then say it is unaffordable. It is only the standard and location that is currently unaffordable to THEM.

This will go down like a lead balloon with the left wing media and the whingers - of all ages - who simply want everything handed to them on a plate...because they know their rights....

Honest comment from a politician - views like this is why he enjoys a strong power base in WA. He'd be burned at stake in Tasmania or Victoria no doubt, but honesty goes down a treat on this side of the paddock.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...unrealistic-barnett/1/date/asc/127801/#thread

That bloke has simply been readin' my posts and has copied them. :D

I wonder if I can sue for plagiarism?

How's all the comments below his article from all the bleaters ? Classic.

I particularly like this one:

"Get real, even buying a 2 bedroom villa/unit/apartment whatever in a dodgy suburb is still beyond the reach of many first homebuyers..."

The last time I heard, there was no automatic right for the FHB's to be able to move into yer upper level suburb when they buy the first one.

So, I say again; suck it up FHB's and stop whining.

I remember living next to the railyards in Oakleigh as a kid - I'm talking scuzzville. Of course; my parents were renting.

Now; the place is gentrified, full of same sex couples (no kids) and other types of Yuppies and professionals with young families (it's near the train and the Monash Freeway and Chadstone) who have renovated the hell out of it and you can't buy a period home there for much change out of $900k.

My Auntie just sold her Victorian late last year - a nice house but very small block, for $869k. It's become a pretty cool place to live, but when we were there, you were only there becaase you couldn't afford anywhere closer in.

Sounds a bit like now. :rolleyes:

So FHB's, buy a cheapie anywhere you can now, and in 10 years you may even just thank me.

Or, you could wait for a crash and then buy a you-beaut in a post code suburb.

Yeah like, how does anyone know what anyone wants ?:confused:
Is that a rhetorical question?

Nevertheless, if you're going to question his integrity perhaps a better choice would be to question whether as a politician paid handsomely to be in a decision making position, if he is at least familiar with the needs of the community he supposed to be serving?

The way I see it he is interpreting what FHBs want based on their house buying trends and this information is (albeit inconclusive) fairly indicative data and not merely speculative. In which case, I'd have to say it seems he has a fair idea of what people (namely FHBs at least) want!! And personally, I think he is on the money!! :)

Last edited:
The thing is....today they whinge....in years gone by they just did it!

I remember thinking how I will never ever ever ever afford a house and was resigned to renting all my life.

I never whinged until now....when I have 5 houses and can't afford another one ....YET that is...!

The premier is merely stating the facts that FHB can indeed buy a house but only where their money can place them. It's called classification...get it.

You have class if you can afford the better suburbs....you know, class for getting off your backside and having a go.

The premier is merely stating the facts that FHB can indeed buy a house but only where their money can place them. It's called classification...get it.
Exactly! He is stating facts and I think he's right, FHBs can buy a house but they can't buy a McMansion to begin with and not struggle. Perhaps more simply put....you gotta learn to walk before you can run!! ;)

Back