Sharp drop for economy IMF warns

Can you please work out the difference between public servants and politicians.

They are two separate things.

And, why should some guy working for State Forestry have his income slashed because of some federal government p.s. didn't see the GFC coming (like most in the private sector I might add)? What good does that achieve? How is he in any way responsible for this?

Same as a Nurse. Hardly their fault.

Well said, politicians and public servants are completely different things. I do a lot of work with Government clients, and I would say that public servants are a lot like employees in other organisations. There are a few who are useless, a large number who follow the crowd and few who are genuinely brilliant.

I'm tired of your pro LIBERAL posts, get over it, Labour are here for a few more years so deal with it!

You can only hope.

Yes, I'll happily say, I'm pro-Liberal.

I am also a realist, Rachel. Something I suspect you are not.

Regards JO

Some good and interesting views Deltaberry.

Other great areas of growth include agriculture - we should be selling our milk, farming products, nutrient products and marketing them as premium just as Germany markets Bosch and Mercedes as premium cars and Japan markets its meat and dairy as premium. They should be packaged nicely and the Australian brand should be promoted.

I don't understand why we are so populist. We have such a small population and already people are talking about how Chinese and Indians are going to use up all our food and farm land. Reality is Japan, with a much bigger population than what this place would ever be in the next century, exports this type of stuff at premium prices.

However, not sure what your saying above, but if it's that Japan is a food exporting nation, you are wrong. Japan is the worlds biggest food importing nation. They have a food self-sufficiency of just 39%. Australia has the biggest food surplus percentage at 240%.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/03/feeding_japan.html

If they are an exporter of premium food? Dunno? Dunno how they could be, they import just about everything to top up their own agriculture production, and at an astronomical cost to the Japanese tax payer. Like 50 billion per year, along with massive tarrifs on imported food which raises prices. The subsidies to Japanese farmers is higher than the total value of food produced.

If it's so easy to sell our ag products as premium and get a massive price rise, why aren't we doing it? Oh, that's right, we are just not so smart as Asians eh? Unless it's organic, or free range, or something else special, it's just a commodity. Organic is best done where labour is cheap. Like Africa or China. And we can supply them with mechanised broadacre food in a trade swap.

See ya's.

You're not talking about THE Wayne Swan, The Finance Minister of the Year, according to Euromoney?:eek:

It is completely laughable and a slap in the face to the likes of Peter Costello and Paul Keating.

Deltaberry,

You give some great feedback and perspective.

Our biggest porblem at the moment is our lack of focus on this big issue. With policies like The Co2 Tax, the NBN, the Refugee non-solution....the bigger picture is and has been, overlooked.

Our politicians are so busy scrambling over each other it's pathetic. Many of us have been watching the downturn in the economy for the past 12 months happen all around us, while Wayne Swan prefers to keep his head n the sand.

Only in August:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s-and-wayne-swan/story-e6frg9ix-1226116577412

I can't see how we can avoid a huge downturn as the RBA, in my mere opinion, is completely useless in it's formula for gauging inflation....will perhaps "catch on" when it is all too late.

While we MAY have had an excuse with the first GFC- There is absolutely NO excuse to blinded by this next one.

Aaron, I have heard many UK's have come over here and the queue is long.

Stefan A- I agree with what you say. Most of the Public Sector workers I know (Council and Education Dpt) ARE getting paid more than anyone in private sector small business. What I would give to be able to pay myself 12% Superannuation and have 1 day off in 10. Let alone start at 9 and finish at 4.

In contrast, how can a non-degree Council Worker earn more than a University Educated nurse on shift work?

There is absolutely NO incentive for us to grow our business. We have knocked back big contracts, so as not to take on more staff and increase our overheads. In fact, a close friends who turns over 100x plus more, has confirmed what we thought we knew: It is simply not worth it.

I just can't see any confidence being restored to the consumer until Labor, The Greens and the Independants are given their walking shoes.

Regards JO

I need to change my mortgage real soon, i don't want to support people with these one tracked views and as I can't stand Abott, makes me cringe to think anyone would support this bloke but putting greens and labour down anyway they can on forums is really stupid, just be a politician if you want to change peoples voting, you will get very little done here!

HbYou:

What the??
ANYWAY...
I and many others here see the link between our political climate and our economic one. If you can't, it's not up to me to teach you.

Back to the thread,

China is slowing down, but it is being forced to slow down because of inflation and rising interest rates.

I'm in two minds about this and can't reason that their demand for our resources will slow at all. I still see the two tier economy continuing on its merry way.

The problem we have is confidence. As Lizzie said way back...we have no innovation and I feel we are stalled.

Regards JO

HbYou:

What the??
ANYWAY...
I and many others here see the link between our political climate and our economic one. If you can't, it's not up to me to teach you.

Back to the thread,

China is slowing down, but it is being forced to slow down because of inflation and rising interest rates.

I'm in two minds about this and can't reason that their demand for our resources will slow at all. I still see the two tier economy continuing on its merry way.

The problem we have is confidence. As Lizzie said way back...we have no innovation and I feel we are stalled.

Regards JO

the link is so obvious it's painful, yet Gillard is floating around like she is the president and can lead the way of the world. Slashing our wrists won't make one iota of differnce to anybody else (except those who steal the small amount of business we do conduct)

Actually it would be fine if the Australian economy slowed down and the AU dollar would fall again. What's so damn important about our economy been at the top all the time, what benefits do you see from it??? All I see is less money in my pocket as I make money from the US and interest rates always seem to go higher as well. Really if our economy does well then it just means China are doing well and I'm so over seeing that country with all it's plastic factories polluting the world and all their support for rebels in terrorist countries by selling arms etc. Our country is also a BIG polluter and China has a lot to do with that too. The sooner the Chinese and Australian economy fall the better in my opinion.

Some good and interesting views Deltaberry.

However, not sure what your saying above, but if it's that Japan is a food exporting nation, you are wrong. Japan is the worlds biggest food importing nation. They have a food self-sufficiency of just 39%. Australia has the biggest food surplus percentage at 240%.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issues/2011/03/feeding_japan.html

If they are an exporter of premium food? Dunno? Dunno how they could be, they import just about everything to top up their own agriculture production, and at an astronomical cost to the Japanese tax payer. Like 50 billion per year, along with massive tarrifs on imported food which raises prices. The subsidies to Japanese farmers is higher than the total value of food produced.

If it's so easy to sell our ag products as premium and get a massive price rise, why aren't we doing it? Oh, that's right, we are just not so smart as Asians eh? Unless it's organic, or free range, or something else special, it's just a commodity. Organic is best done where labour is cheap. Like Africa or China. And we can supply them with mechanised broadacre food in a trade swap.

See ya's.

I'm not surprised they're a net importer.

However what they do is they package their food in to premium products and sell them at supermarkets at premium prices in China and Hong Kong. In fact there are supermarkets dedicated to selling such premium products.

Is it easy? Well I'll soon find out when I start doing it so I'll let you know in a few years.

I think Aus will face a recession in 2015. why? China will massively reduce buying resources from us (esp iron ore) because they will get enough from the massive mines they're currently building in Africa which is due to open in 2015. The mines are so massive they have export capabilities that will surpass Australia.

Iron ore prices will fall considerable during that time as well. The resource sector will not be there to rescue us.

Here's an article with other information
"Iron ore is set for the first four- year drop since at least 1982 as supplies surge, threatening to end record earnings at Vale SA (VALE3), Rio Tinto Group and BHP Billiton Ltd. (BHP), the world´s biggest producers. Global prices may fall 29 percent..."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...lide-hitting-mining-earnings-commodities.html

I'm not surprised they're a net importer.

However what they do is they package their food in to premium products and sell them at supermarkets at premium prices in China and Hong Kong. In fact there are supermarkets dedicated to selling such premium products..

So, Japan is selling Australian produced food at a premium to China and Hong Kong? Amazing! Considering high food and labour costs in Japan.

Is it easy? Well I'll soon find out when I start doing it so I'll let you know in a few years.

Just what the industry needs? Another middle man taking no risk and getting all the cream. But go for it. Yeah, let us know how you go? What are you doing, or is it a secret yet?

See ya's.

Green light for $25b gas project

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/10313173/green-light-for-25b-gas-project/

We should be greatful for such a diversity of resources in this country. Demand for energy aint going away. Any retreat slack in the economy will be an opportunity for the resource owners to get their projects done at a cheaper price

So true, Ausprop. I just hope we don't destroy most of our prime agricultural land in the name of mining resource.

What are your thoughts on CSG? The byproduct is a worry. Companies will lease the land and go, leaving god knows what behind.

The ASX was a bloodbath yesterday.....my portfolio acquired 2008-2009 has broken even. Aussie Dollar went .98c!

We are certainly in for some interesting times. :)

Regards JO

jonril, your message wasn't off topic.

In fact, I understood it well and was going to reply but didn't want to add more fuel to your fire. ;) Pretty much explains why we are in the political mess we are in.

Regards JO

The sooner the Chinese and Australian economy fall the better in my opinion.
I would be looking at the bigger picture,if what you wish for happens and China does slow then Australia will also slow down in a big way,and everyone from the gutter up will have problems,my Father would tell me all the time what it was like in Germany prior too WW2,and the big problem was not money because their money went that high it was useless,the big problem was "FOOD",and China will find out if you can't feed the people then it will be a brutal bloodbath and quick..

I'd be happy for public servants to receive higher salaries along the lines of Singapore if we also had Singapore's tax structure (17% cap on corporate tax and 20% on personal income tax) in addition to adequate infrastructure and public services.

You may be interested to know that Sinaporean politicians get performance bonuses based on GDP growth. >10% growth allows them about 8 months bonus and between 6% to 9.9% GDP growth, they are awarded about 2-3 months bonus.

Not exact figure, but it gives you an idea that the Singapore government is focused on growing the economy; sometimes even to the extent of 'growth at all cost'.

Regards,

Daniel Lee

Back