Should I ask the tenants to leave?

Hi All,

The tenants of my most recently acquired property agreed to get it painted and new blinds put in.

First painter could get through for quotes. The second painter came all the way from upper North Shore to Western Sydney but the tenants didn't show up and wouldn't take phone calls. So the painter was able to give me a quote in line with the first one.

Now that the painter's PA tries to get in touch with them they wouldn't pick up their phone or respond to voice mails. When PM calls they are very nice and say they are happy to get the place fixed up.

I'm considering if I should get the property vacated though timing for that can be tricky whether the painter is available at the time the tenants leave (notice period = 90 days).

The reason I want the place fixed up is the value has improved around 17%-21% since the acquisition last May. I can't really access equity without getting these works done. Hence it seriously impedes my ability to move forward with my next purchase.

Also if they are causing issues with this, they will have issues with valuations.

I feel bad asking them to vacate, but then if they agreed to something they shouldn't play hardball.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

MsAli

Why wasn't the PM present? to open the door? that's what you pay them for... you should have got the PM on site. no one to blame but yourself.

Why wasn't the PM present? to open the door? that's what you pay them for... you should have got the PM on site. no one to blame but yourself.

Thats pretty harsh advice, and certainly not good advice!

I would be hard pressed to see you have a PM....you know they cost money hey? If you dont use the 'free' advice of a broker, and are too frugal to use a soli or an accountant for structured advice - I wouldnt be throwing about inaccurate advice and certainly not attacking the OP!

pinkboy

Last edited:
Thats pretty harsh advice, and certainly not good advice!

I would be hard pressed to see you have a PM....you know they cost money hey? If you dont use the 'free' advice of a broker, and are too frugal to use a soli or an accountant for structured advice - I wouldnt be throwing about inaccurate advice and certainly attacking the OP!

pinkboy

Indeed pinkboy.

The PM doesn't offer a valet service to open the door, when the tenant HAPPILY agreed for the works. They book a time for quotes, I expect them to be present, or inform the painter that they are no longer available - not just disappear.

Thanks for the advice to others who have offered. I did ask the PM of any legal implications. She said she had already advised the tenant that we would issue a notice to vacate if they did not co-operate after agreeing. She said there were no issues with sending a notice to terminate tenancy with 90 days notice as required.

The notice was delivered on Wednesday by hand.

Indeed pinkboy.

The PM doesn't offer a valet service to open the door, when the tenant HAPPILY agreed for the works. They book a time for quotes, I expect them to be present, or inform the painter that they are no longer available - not just disappear.

Thanks for the advice to others who have offered. I did ask the PM of any legal implications. She said she had already advised the tenant that we would issue a notice to vacate if they did not co-operate after agreeing. She said there were no issues with sending a notice to terminate tenancy with 90 days notice as required.

The notice was delivered on Wednesday by hand.
Sorry for being rude but I really really really really really (typed it not just copy and paste) think it's PM's job to do this. They should be the person that organised for repairs etc (they have a list of contracts good handyman / painters). Pm should be present.

having the PM hand delivered (valet service?) the notice to the tenants would have been the same as making the PM go to the property and make sure the worker's painters can gain access. you can't depend on tenants for that... what if tenants have an important event to go to. they can't just sit around all day and wait for the workers to come. you should have at least got the PM on call as back up. also the tenants don't care about you or how you want to improve your property, they are scared if you do this you will then increase the rent. so of course they won't fully go out of their way to co-op. if their plumbing was blocked and you got a plumber to fix it, it would be a totally different story, they would jump through hoops to help and co-op fully.

Sorry for "attacking" you. it just seems you are going out of your way to blame it on the tenants and if you put the same amount of effort and if the PM put the same or half the amount of effort into getting the PM on site all of this can be avoiding. The PM would have write up the letter and correspond with you. PM's usually live close by and are happy to go on site to make sure people have access when needed...

how do you think the tenants feel after you have issued them this letter? people treat you the same way you threat them... you might think you have "won" but when the chance presents itself do you think the tenants will stuff you up in the future??

I'm trying to provide constructive advice...

Just curious...

if the tenants were to allow the painting to go ahead who would be responsible for moving the furniture and personal items?

Could it be they thought you or the painter, then realised after the first painter quoted it would be them.

If I let a painter in to paint at the LL request, I still wouldn't put myself out doing anything other than letting them in or leaving a key out.

The painter and LL would have to work around me (like no entering before 9am and out by 4pm) and move everything back and forth themselves.

Perhaps clearing up some details of how things will work and offering a couple of weeks free rent and they'll be more than happy to come to the party.

Last edited:
Just curious...

if the tenants were to allow the painting to go ahead who would be responsible for moving the furniture and personal items?

Could it be they thought you or the painter, then realised after the first painter quoted it would be them.

I have seen the quotes, the painter had 2 people and were moving furniture. Tenants just had to give access.

Have you tried discussing the matter with them? I know that it would be a nuisance to me if I had to stay home for a day, not of my choosing, for somebody to come in at a certain time.

If both tenants are working people it could be quite difficult for them to arrange a time around the tradie's convenience.

Before threatening eviction, it may be that there is some sort of problem with giving the tradie access. If that is the case a compromise to the satisfaction of all could be reached.

If you do evict you run the danger of a period of vacancy which would cost you more than letting them stay with a rent free period.

I'm with the others about whether the value will be increased because of new paint. You can ask RightValue from the forum, but in my experience, valuers are looking past things like fresh paint.

I agree, Wylie. Ms Ali, if the area has risen in value over the past 6 to 12 mths or so, valuers will look at the comparable sales and value your place accordingly.

They're more likely to look at the location, size of land, number of bedrooms, car parking, number/size of living areas and general lay out rather than whether the place needs a repaint.

I wouldn't waste your money or interrupt your cash flow (by moving tenants on) to have your ip painted in the hope for a better valuation.

All the best with it,

Regards Jason.

This message has been deleted by MsAli. Reason: No point talking to a brick wall

Lost me

You started the thread?

images

I have to agree with the others. Painting is not going to increase the valuation enough to warrant the disruption to the tenants and cost.

I would consider it pretty poor form to be terminating their lease just due to that. The tenant probably did not realise how much disruption it was going to cause and they do have a right to live undisturbed.

Lost me

You started the thread?

images

Redwing it was for fullylucky whose constantly posting negative stuff and saying it's constructive.

He is mistaken about my intention to 'blame' the tenants. No blame at all. Purely asking for responsibility. However I'm not here to justify the fact that I take responsibility for my choices.

I have to agree with the others. Painting is not going to increase the valuation enough to warrant the disruption to the tenants and cost.

I would consider it pretty poor form to be terminating their lease just due to that. The tenant probably did not realise how much disruption it was going to cause and they do have a right to live undisturbed.

Thanks for your opinion Doovalacky. I believe it will impact the vals hence the decision.

As I said, the tenant were happy to renovate the property but they just wouldn't show up for appointments. One of the painters who quoted me came from Upper North Shore to Western Sydney and stood outside for 30 minutes trying to call the tenants who did not respond to the phone etc. At least have the courtesy to say they are either unavailable and/or no longer able to accommodate the works. Just come clean and honest. I would have appreciated their honesty over gaining time, which has been three months plus to date.

Back