should i hold or sell with loss??

Lets see what happens now,

I have now changed Agents. This agent believes he can sell it for me. It feels good changing agents. A change in agents is always good as it brings a new fresh outlook on the property.

I negotiated the selling fee to 2.2% including GST. I also said that if it sells for less than 335k then this 2.2% is again negotiable and the agent was happy with that.

I had removed the 'for sale' sign from outside the property 2 months ago. This is so the property doesnt look like its stagnant and un sellable and now this new agents fresh approach should help. He is very confident in being able to sell it so this is good too.

Ill let everyone know how much it sells for and if it sells. Currently on the lookout for IP but im not jumping into anything this time.

Ajax said:
GeorgesA,

Maybe order a Residex report on Chester Hill-see what they are predicting in capital growth/rental yield.
Ajax
Dear GeorgeSA,

1. I think Ajax's idea is a good one and it does not cost too much either. Why not check out Residex's take on your suburb if you still have not done so yet so that you can make a well-informed decision.

2. For your kind considerations, please.

3. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Hi Kenneth,

Does it really matter when i sell? If i make a 100k property and then buy another house then the other house will be worth 100k more anyway. So if i sell and buy in the same market then i have not really lost yet untill I sell the second house. Do you see my point?

I believe the next house i will buy will be a much better purchase and more vulnurebale to captal Gain.(GW) Whereas this property will increase in value but not as much as other houses in the area. This is my fault due to not enough research but I know I will never make the same mistake twice..

What do you think Kennethkohsg?
thanks

Hi all,

Georges, you have made a courageous decision. Not only in cutting your losses, but in admitting it here in the forum. I think you will do very well as a property (or for that matter any other) investor.
I hope you attain a good price in the sale.
Good luck on your search for an IP, in what is a buyers market.
I wish you well.

bye

Georges, something else that came to mind is instead of trying to onsell a poor yielding investment, consider 'creating' some upside and selling that.
i.e. developers will often get a DA approved for a subdivision, and then instead of going through the motions, and exposing themselves to the higher risk of an uncertain market, they onsell the project.

You might emulate this by doing all the ground work to get a granny flat costed and approved, and talking to property managers about realistic rental yield. If the project provides a better overall yield, you could include this detail in your advertising. In fact, sometimes a deal like this is worth advertising privately in the Sat paper, as the more creative investors and distressed vendors often seek to do deals without being slugged by REA commission.

If you are going to advertise, it really helps to use realistic financials and no bull. Genuine investors will more likely follow your lead if they know you are smart enough to provide smart information.

Hi Bruce,

I have already explored all avenues.

Subdivision is out of the question..(12m wide block)

My advertising style which i have asked agent to use is a very honest approach. There is nothing to hide and I did have the property rented for 240 so this the add should say potential to rent for 240. It is however currently rented for 215 but this is only as a favour.

At the end of the day although im selling at a loss i still wont sell for anything... I have calculated what im prepared to loose and im not going less than this.

Last case scenario ( not neccesarily worst case) is that I keep it and redraw some $$ for a granny and increased bedroom when i have some extra cash and leave it sitting on the side untill market has picked up again for me to sell at a small profit.

Starting tomorrow will be first day its on the market and apparently 4 ppl want to see it already but I dont know what to believe when agents talk...

Anyway thanks for advice Bruce

Property Investment - General > should i hold or sell with loss??

GeorgesA said:
Hi Kenneth,

Does it really matter when i sell? If i make a 100k property and then buy another house then the other house will be worth 100k more anyway. So if i sell and buy in the same market then i have not really lost yet untill I sell the second house. Do you see my point?

I believe the next house i will buy will be a much better purchase and more vulnurebale to captal Gain.(GW) Whereas this property will increase in value but not as much as other houses in the area. This is my fault due to not enough research but I know I will never make the same mistake twice..

What do you think Kennethkohsg?
thanks
Dear GeorgeSA,

1. As long as you do NOT sell, you only suffer a "paper loss" not a real monetary loss. You will eventually learn to know the real difference between TIME and Timing in property investing.

2. When you do sell, your loss becomes a fact and a reality. You "hope" to make the same monies in the same market. It's just remain a "hope" and has not become an actual reality yet. Whether you are going to succeed or not, it has yet to be seen. What has actually become a reality is your basic loss from your first property when you did sell first.

3. The property market does not really operate like a stock market does, if you are thinking of buying and selling in the same property market.

4. You hope you may make a profit from your second investment. Who can gauarantee you this? Not forgetting the selling and buying costs involved, you need to do far better in your second investment than to just achieve a break even status.

5. What is the time frame which you hope to achieve this "break-even" point? Are you that confident of achieving this in the Sydney's property market under today's market conditions?

6. Two "wrongs" do not make things right. You might risk a second "wrong" with your second property investment if you have not truly learnt from your first investment.

7. I am not as optimistic as you are about making monies in the Sydney property market within the next 1-2 years;- it's too expensive and "unaffordable" for an average Sydneyite young couples as their first home;- its downside risks is believed to be higher than its upside profit gain potential.

8. For your kind considerations,please.

9. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
Kennethkohsg said:
Dear GeorgeSA,

1. As long as you do NOT sell, you only suffer a "paper loss" not a real monetary loss. You will eventually learn to know the real difference between TIME and Timing in property investing.

3. The property market does not really operate like a stock market does, if you are thinking of buying and selling in the same property market.

Kenneth KOH

1. BS. As long as you hold negative geared property with no chance of CG in the near future you lose money on daily bases. REAL MONEY, out of your pocket!
1.a. You do not make money until you sell, all you have is "paper gain" :)

3. Any market being stock, property, flee, fruit, etc, operates on fundamentals of which supply and demand are the most important.

Thx
V

Panic said:
1. BS. As long as you hold negative geared property with no chance of CG in the near future you lose money on daily bases. REAL MONEY, out of your pocket!
1.a. You do not make money until you sell, all you have is "paper gain" :)

3. Any market being stock, property, flee, fruit, etc, operates on fundamentals of which supply and demand are the most important.

Thx
V
Dear Panic,

1. You says, "As long as you hold negative geared property with no chance of CG in the near future you lose money on daily bases. REAL MONEY, out of your pocket!"

2. Can I ask you what is the time frame which you are referring to?...at the end of another new property cycle some 7-10 years subsequently?

3. And how much monies is the so called "loss" that you are talking about, after deducting out all the tax benefits accrueing from holding onto the same properties? Please note that the "paper loss" suffered is not compounding perpetually on an indefinite basis.

4. The only real big money that GeorgeSA will immediately lose is the actual price difference which he is going to experience by selling his property "inappropriately" on the "wrong" side of the present property cycle, the selling costs incurred (as well as his future new buying costs and stamp duties payable as well ) and also the amount of taxes that he is going to pay on his income without a negative geared property, year after year, if he sells off his property now and fails to get into another one. Not to mention the depreciation benefits and other tax benefits that he is going to lose too immediately when he sells away his property now.

5. Give a choice, do you prefer to continue paying interest at 7%p.a or to pay taxes at 47.5% p.a on your income?

6. Over time, the same property which has suffered a "paper loss" can also earn a "paper profit" which can then be realised into a real cash profit at the more opportune time at a later stage, should one/GeorgeSA wants do. I speak as one who has been through the unfortunate experience of riding the up-down-up roller-coaster ride myself, in the changes of the median house prices across time, from 1993-2003 period in the Goldcoast property market.
Instead of losing real monies eventually, each of my 2 "loss-making" properties eventually turnaround after one property cycle and make some $100,000 worth of non-taxable cash profit each when I eventually sold them off in November 2002 and August 2003 respectively. Said what you like, these are real monies profits from the actual property sales;- though some critics may argue that it is actually my own "enforced savings" paid on the property portfolio in the past... Whatever is being said, nothing is comparable than my good feeling of being able to have this sudden "$200,000" cash (non-taxable) windfall, after 7 years of patient waiting out for the new porperty cycle to arrive.

7. Thus, one thing that I have learnt from my own experience is that it is not the property per se that actually cause one to lose/make monies, rather it is the "timing" when one chooses/decides to enter and exit the market that will determine its outcome.

8. Thus, "TIME" rather than "TIMING" is the main key single wealth creation factors in property investing and TIME, (rather than timing) can be forgiving of one investing mistakes over time, as suggested by Jan Somers.

9. Personally I do not think that the market is "obliged" to help you or GeorgeSA or anyone else for that matter, to make monies with a second new property investment, all things being equal. So why are you so sure that you or GeorgeSA will surely make monies in the same declining Sydney property market, a second time round?

10. Normally, we only sell the properties to realise our paper profits;- not to realise our paper loss unless we truly have NO choice of holding on to the assets which may appears to suffer some paper loss for the time being.

11. Having said all this, If GeorgeSA still chooses to sell ultimately as he has now, ( whatever his reasons, whether he is in fact more comfortable with this decision outcome or not), I will still respect GeorgeSA and his decision.

12. It is after all, his call and his monies;- not mine nor yours either.

13. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

GeorgesA,

You seem to be a bloke who knows his own mind - good luck with your choice. You've received a plethora of different opinions, now it's your move - hope it goes well,

Regards,

yeh, what you gonna do?.....swing for the hills or take a hit?.....

what's the final verdict?

don't think I'm pushing for an answer but the tension is killing me man.....

put us out of our misery...

George "tongue in cheek" Grubar

Hi Kenneth

I always enjoy reading your post, when I have time:). They are always so detailed.

You say that you held and eventually all turned out OK. Can I ask you I you had known in '93 that you were going to loose watever the amount were up to 2000 or sell and buy back in at the same price (or close) just before it boomed what would you have done. Also how different would the figures have looked if you had been able to do exactly that.

I am glad to know that ones you decided to hold, you held until another boom happened as the worst thing to do is sell just before a boom after holding all that time.

Cheers

My 2c.

From a previous thread, I gather georgesa is around 25 years old. That being the case, my strategy would be to hold onto it for all the points made by Kenneth above (and probably others, it's a long thread and I haven't read all the posts).

In 10 to 20 years time, if held, I'm sure you would be reminding yourself what a good little earner this has been.

I think to buy at a HIGH, sell at a LOW, and realise a LOSS, would have to be the absolute last resort.

OK, instead of talking about returns, let's crunch some numbers and plot them:

From memory, and I am tired,

Borrowed
Plus reno and stamp duty
rent
$210 /wk
Rate
~6.8%
Rpts

Have a look at the attachment. It shows George won't make money for 10 years, and then it will only be a return of 5% pa. and that's before subtracting selling costs. In the meantime, he has a third of his wage tied up.

Of course, my plot is dependent on growth:
I used the following, which is generous considering growth has been negative for 2 years already:
year
1 0%
2 0%
3 3%
4 3%
5 5%
6 5%
7 5%
8 5%
etc

Inflation stays under 3% and rates stay under 7.5%

For George to do better than 5%pa over 10 years, he is gambling there will be a big boom before then. The RBA is determined to keep inflation and rates low. If inflation is kept low, it is my opinion that it is too much of a gamble to hold such a negatively geared property.

There is always the probability prices will underperform the figures above, and he will be losing money for 20 years.

Personally, I think there isn't enough reward for risk.

And there are better opportunities out there. George could leverage into a managed fund such as Navra and be doing 18%pa. after tax. Or select shares carefully and do the same.

Attachments

• george.gif
    george.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
mmmm

Hi guys,

I will ultimatly make the decision myself and although everyone has given me excellent valid opinions the final decision will depend on my current situations and the goals that I hope to achieve from my investement career...

I understand I have taken a big hit during the early stages of my investemnt career and it wont be easy to bounce back but none the less I will do it. When I said earlier that I will sell this house and re purchase in the same market I did not specify what my reasons were. My next property will be a PPOR of which I already have saved at least 15% of the median sydney house price. I am not looking for solid returns for this house. Just good solid CG in the long term. After the purchase of this house I have a few reale estate ideas which im hoping to explore...

I will not be living in this PPOR house however for the first 2 years as I will be living in one of my dads investment properties for free and will be using this time to continue investing in property and possibly other income earning assets.

I agree that I will eventually make money in 10+ years but why should I loose out now when i can use these funds to work for me.

I do not see this property as a loss. It doesnt bother me that I have lost this money as I have learnt a great deal from it. I would rather loose now than one day in the future when I have a family who depends on me.

I will let you know what happens but it is currently for sale and I will post the link here in the next week. It should be on realestate.com.au soon.

Thanks everyone and I love this thread!!!

Georges

tigerGT said:
Hi guys,

My next property will be a PPOR of which I already have saved at least 15% of the median sydney house price.

I will not be living in this PPOR house however for the first 2 years as I will be living in one of my dads investment properties for free and will be using this time to continue investing in property and possibly other income earning assets.

I agree that I will eventually make money in 10+ years but why should I loose out now when i can use these funds to work for me.

I do not see this property as a loss. It doesnt bother me that I have lost this money as I have learnt a great deal from it. I would rather loose now than one day in the future when I have a family who depends on me.

Georges
Dear GeorgeSA,

1. I really do not know why you are buying a "PPOR" and not living in it for the first 2 years?... You will not get 100% capital gain tax exemption in this case. Your capital gain tax exemption will be best, be pro-rated only. If you hold onto this PPOR long term, the pro-rated capital gain tax will be significant in due course too, together with your capital gains to be made!

2. Care to further elaborate on your own line of thinking?

3. In my mind, there is a big difference between "paper loss" and "real loss" whether in property or share investing. "Paper loss" can be easily rectified using "time" to wait out. Not so with real loss...It is real monies thrown away... who can gaurantee you that you will make a profit when you next invest even though you can raise the deposit to further invest again? While the share market frequently moves up and down and one is able toi recover the loss easily in due course, it is not so easy for property investing, as the loss involved will be much bigger and the market only moves one cycle per 7-10 year time frame.

4. Personally, I think that if you sell out now, you will fall into this truly worst situation/scenario of " Buying High at the Market Peak, AND Selling Low at the Market Bottom!". You had already successfully held out for 2 years... Why sell when the Sydney market has more or less bottomed out at the end of this year and will soon start to recover again, all things being equal and assuming the typical property cycle is to be expected again?

5. If you have cut your losses promptly 2 years ago, I can agree with your decision then. Not now when you have gone through the worst period and had successfully undergone the worst risks scenario and yet you choose to sell now when the scenario is starting to turn into your favour? Personally, research/know exactly how the property prices will move during a typical property cycle.

6. Ask yourself once again, " what is the worst outcome should you continue to hold on?" " Is it true that I have correctly calculated for the next few years will turn out positively and exactly what I have anticpated? What if my positive outcome calculation is proven wrong again?... Have I truly learnt the lesson that I am supposed to learn from my last poor investment decision-making process or have I not fully learnt my lesson yet as I cannot honestly rule the possibility making a similar mistake again in my second investment decison-making at this point in time?

7. Please do not try to answer my rehoretic questions immediately... let it sink down deep within you naturally by itself. Then, listen to your own inner voice calmly and honestly answer yourself and make the decision.

8. If you come to the same decision as before, let it be. I am now convinced it is still your likely path that you will take, given your present personality. If your decision outcome has changed subsequently, then know now exactly why and how it has changed especially in your investment risk-taking calculations/assumptions and personal thinking. That is how you are likely to operate in future. Know your own bling spots and learn to improve on your future decision-making process, given your present personality.

9. For your kind and prayerful "re-considerations", please.

10. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Last edited:
handyandy said:
Hi Kenneth

I always enjoy reading your post, when I have time:). They are always so detailed.

You say that you held and eventually all turned out OK. Can I ask you I you had known in '93 that you were going to loose watever the amount were up to 2000 or sell and buy back in at the same price (or close) just before it boomed what would you have done. Also how different would the figures have looked if you had been able to do exactly that.

I am glad to know that ones you decided to hold, you held until another boom happened as the worst thing to do is sell just before a boom after holding all that time.

Cheers
Hi Handyhandy,

1. I think your question is "theoretical".

2. Have I had the hindsight before hand, I will definitely choose to sell my first property for a profit in 1994 then and stayed out completely from investing in the Goldcoast property market then until July 2001;- if this is the kind of answer you want to hear from me then. My funds can be better deployed elsewhere in the meantime while waiting for the property cycle to turn in my favour.

3. I will not have proceeded to buy the second property in 1994 even with the same "No Deposit Down" concept, with the newly found capital gains/equity in the first property, which was last bought in 1993. I realise that I did not truly understand the nature of the property cycle in the Goldcoast property market, even though I was quite familiar with it then.
This is one of the real-life lessons which I have learnt from my last investing experience.

4. For your kind update and further comments if any please.

5. Thank you.

regards,
Kenneth KOH

Back