Should I install a rangehood?

It's an apartment with no ventillation shaft/area.
I'm almost done designing the new kitchen I'm going to install and I was planning on putting in a built-in oven into one of the base cabinets....
Should I bother putting in a rangehood above it?

If I do, it would be just one of thhose slide out ones that don't have the exhaust pipes.

Assuming the air vents send the "cleaned" air back into the unit out of the top of the cupboards, the only thing it will do is suck the fat and oil out of the air that is sucked in. If someone is cooking chips or something greasy, it would still be a good idea to put one in, if only to save you some effort when it comes to cleaning and repainting down the track.

I assume this is for the unit at Cabramatta.

If you wanted to vent to the outside you would have to drill through both the internal and external wall. Although this is not an overly expensive job at about $150 it is very messy as they use water when drilling.

Whether you vent outside or not, the standard tenant in this area tends to use a lot of oil and use woks which seem to through up a lot of grease so be prepared to change the filter in the range hood every 2 years. Unfortunately, we find that you generally can't find the filters again and getting them made is just to expensive (at 30-40$) so we generally just install a cheap $99 special and replace the whole unit when the tenancy finishes.

We did vent to the outside in one building, which also means drilling big holes in the cabinets for the piping to the outside, and now find that we have a problem replacing the units as the location of the exhaust hole has changed and means we have to rework the whole piping to now replace the range hoods in this block.

I do suggest that you install a rangehood as it does at least divert some of the grease rather than settling all over the cabinets.

With your chose of oven in a cabinet I would suggest that you stay with a free standing oven cooktop.

If you install in a cabinet then you are locked in as far as size/design with any replacements (and you will need to replace them if you are a long term holder). With a free standing oven its 600mm now and in the future.

Cheers

PS The other thing you may want to consider is installing stone bench tops. I have found that these have performed really well compared to Formica tops with a number of formica tops basically destroyed because idiot tenants take hot pans straight from the stove onto the bench surface. Your kitchen wears really quickly when there are 'burn' marks in the bench top.

Some great info there handyandy. And some things I didn't think of before either..

You're right, this is for the Cabramatta unit.
Regarding the actual kitchen, I was planning to keep costs to around the $1000-$1500 mark, so any type of stone benchtop is pretty much out of the question. :(
Currently looking at the cheapest range from Ikea and I've come up with a design for roughly $810 including a laminated benchtop.
If I go up the range in quality, the price jumps up to around $1400 for a similar design.

I was considering the free standing oven, but that would detract from the modern feel of the overall apartment that I'm trying to achieve.

Hmmm... time for more thinking!

Hi

Some comments embedded. By the way I have a few units in Cabramatta;) so am very familiar with the area.

Some great info there handyandy. And some things I didn't think of before either..

You're right, this is for the Cabramatta unit.
Regarding the actual kitchen, I was planning to keep costs to around the $1000-$1500 mark, so any type of stone benchtop is pretty much out of the question. :(
Currently looking at the cheapest range from Ikea and I've come up with a design for roughly $810 including a laminated benchtop.
If I go up the range in quality, the price jumps up to around $1400 for a similar design.

Have you checked the price at Paradise Kitchens over in Smithfield? I imagine that your kitchen isn't very large so they maybe able to do a kitchen with stone top at a reasonable price. Doesn't hurt to call.

I was considering the free standing oven, but that would detract from the modern feel of the overall apartment that I'm trying to achieve.

Remember part of a modern looked in a kitchen is the doors and the handles so you just need to choose carefully. Further the expected clientele will not be gentle on your stove so you should keep that in mind.

Hmmm... time for more thinking!

Cheers

When we rented last year in Kew the rangehood was just one of the pull out ones and circulated the air back through the room.

We ended up getting the land lord to put a vent to outside in because every time we cooked anything (nothing particularly greasy) the smoke alarms would go off.

If you can i would put in the vents but you will defiantly need a rangehood of some sorts

Ahh, Paradise Kitchens! That's the place I was thinking of!
I recently found a brochure of theirs and was thinking some of their prices were quite decent, especially the ones with granite benchtops, and then I misplaced it. heh
I will definitely give them a call now that you mentioned it. :)

RE: the vent to the outside.. I don't know if that's allowed or not (Strata, etc), but as mentioned before, if will add more stress to any future renovations... so it's the last path I'd be willing to take.

Hi SuiCid3,

A re-circulating range-hood as a minimum. At least filters grease from the air in the unit.

A vented to outside range-hood if your budget extends to it.

Cheers,

Aimy

Vent

They don’t seem to be installed at all, but an alternative would be to install electric powered vent in one window.
Best to have it in laundry or bathroom, but in units they are often without one.
But this way you definitely get rid of smelly air.

Back