Get a new rangehood or go without?

• 60cm stove
  • 60cm rangehood - ductless/recirculating
  • Upstairs unit
  • Kitchen window not far from stove.
  • No need for rangehood when I lived there
  • Tenants asked that cheap rangehood ,which I'd left in the flat, be installed - I put it off for a few years. The ceiling became a bit discoloured and apparently the smoke alarm went off a lot. No other problem.
  • Rangehood has now been installed with little cupboard purposely built resulting in moisture and mould on the bottom of the cupboards.
  • Am considering whether to get a new stronger rangehood (Omega has been suggested) or just remove the cupboard and rangehood altogether. I never found the smoke or steam a problem.
  • From what I can see, at 340m3/h, the 60cm Omega doesn't seem strong enough either.
:confused: Has anyone had experience with rangehoods in apartments and are 60cm recirculating rangehoods worth it?

Last edited:
1) move the smokey
2) recirculating fans are useless but we have to put up with them - there are some good ones about but they aren't cheap & chew up much of the overhead cupboard. Biggest advantage, stops greasy steam going everywhere.

1) move the smokey

Do you mean the stove?

2) recirculating fans are useless but we have to put up with them - there are some good ones about but they aren't cheap & chew up much of the overhead cupboard. Biggest advantage, stops greasy steam going everywhere.

So maybe I need to go expensive...?
Have already reno'd the kitchen so can't move it around too much unfortunately. Already have cupboard.

So question is now: go expensive or go without?

I think Scott was referring to the smoke alarm? It shouldn't be in the kitchen, is it too close to the kitchen?

I second that recirculating are useless, I have recently had to arrange for ducted rangehoods to be installed to replace recirculating because of similar issues that you are describing. Perhaps an exhaust fan installed into the glass in the window would be a better option for removing vapours from the kitchen without the problems you're having with the rangehoods?

Thanks for your replies Scott and Sez.

Sez: I think Scott was referring to the smoke alarm? It shouldn't be in the kitchen, is it too close to the kitchen?

Oh yeah ok. Well, it's right down the hallway so I don't know how she managed to cook up such a storm!

I second that recirculating are useless, I have recently had to arrange for ducted rangehoods to be installed to replace recirculating because of similar issues that you are describing.

yeah - have been looking on Choice - am prepared to pay for something decent but it seems there really isn't anything. It was definitely better before the rangehood was put in.
However, the tenant isn't helping. Still hasn't pulled off the tape and the rangehood can't work properly. Doesn't want air blowing on her face - but that's what they do.

I don't think a more expensive one is going to make that much difference and I also don't see the point in getting the air ducted up onto the ceiling.
When this cheap and nasty breaks down (probably soon), I'll take it down. And take down the cupboard which cost a bomb! And no more rangehoods. There's a window very close by. The apartment's only big enough for one or two people anyway.

Perhaps an exhaust fan installed into the glass in the window would be a better option for removing vapours from the kitchen without the problems you're having with the rangehoods?
Yeah good idea but from now on it's the window.

Should've listened to myself - no to pokey, noisy, energy-guzzling rangehood!

Yeah we have one that came with the property here at home and never used it as it's a terrible sticky mess and I couldnt see where the flow went except back into the kitchen !

Only good thing about it is the light over the stove, Im going blind.;)

Other words, go ducted to outside.

Back