Should I just get another accountant?

Hi,

I have to use accountant first time as I bought my IP in June last year and lots of other things to claim for last financial year aswell.

Anyways there is this accountant who I talked to last week and I asked him to do my tax return and he said he will do it fo $XXX amount and also give me free advice throughout the year.

I am in Canberra and he is in Sydney. I sent him all my details for tax lodgement, anyways everytime I call him he is busy and says he will call me back but never does.

He sends me an email every night and then I have to ask questions about what he says in the email but then he only replies once a night so its been going on till now.

I am thinking of going with another accountant who will actually clarify everything verbally to me.

Do I have to pay this accountant anything? I have not signed anything and he has not submitted my tax return yet.

Eternit,
I guess it depends on how much work he has done.
Why don't you tell him to finalise the tax return and then move on?
Where did you find this guy?
Cheers

Eternit,
I guess it depends on how much work he has done.
Why don't you tell him to finalise the tax return and then move on?
Where did you find this guy?
Cheers

Well I am really dissapointed with him.

A friend recommended him but he is not what I am looking for in an accountant so I will tell him that I am getting another accountant to do the work for me.

i think you have to pay for work to date. verbal agreement. maybe not in writing but you give them things and they start work so you pay. fair to me. i think accountant who say can ask free questions during year bad one. good one you have to pay. they all busy and too much work. old ones and maybe not up to date doing free advice but not good ones anymore. those old days. i liked old days but you have to move with times. no thing as a free lunch as they say.

This is the busiest time of year for accountants you are doing well to be getting e-mail replies. If you change ship now you risk starting the process all over again

Just specifically mention in the email "give me a call" and specify the time frame which you'll be avaliable. One day turn around at this time of year is pretty good from an accountant, though since your paying the bill if your not satisfied then feel free to go somewhere else.

If he is a good accountant and is only doing a BASIC TAX RETURN a good one should be able to do it in 30mins to an hour max if you have property or other investments then maybe you need a better accountant...

Back