Should I use Gumtree??

Quokka

You can end it & start again. If you right click on the far right hand side of the listing, it will give you a few options.

Thanks Skater, have ended this, not sure whether I will go this way now.
Do they have a manual "Ebay for Dummies", got berated by daughter 2 this morning on the start up price at auction.... I wont say what it was, for fear of more rubbishing;)

Also, no bites on gumtree. OK, now thinking Quokka, set price, I have never used this either.

Also, no bites on gumtree. OK, now thinking Quokka, set price, I have never used this either.

You've got to give it time. Unless you are giving it away, it may take a while for the right person to see the advertisement. Both Ebay & Gumtree are places that everyone's heard of. I've never heard of Quokka.

I have sold plenty of household goods on Gumtree. Depending where you live (easy commute and central) and demographics of the local area will determine how quickly things will sell and the price to entice buyers.

Most of my items have been sold off pretty cheap to get rid of them. Even still, I had sets of sofas and sold them off ~25% of original price paid, this took several weeks. I could have held out for more, but I wanted them gone.

I think it will take time to sell a $3k lounge suite since anyone looking to spend that much would be tempted to buy new. On Gumtree you have to keep relisting your advert if you want it to show at the top, or pay the small fee.

I NEVER use auction. The only way you will get a good price with an auction is if you have something that many people want.

Even then, recently I sold a video game related item that is quite sort after by collectors. It had BIN's on there for around $500. I thought, what the hell I will put it up on auction and see where it lands. I only purchased the product for $100 at the time. Put it on auction, available worldwide, had about 50x people watching. only got $103 for it.

The $500 were not moving tbh but I thought I would at least get $200 for it. It was a similar story with a few other pieces I put up for auction. Other items I put higher than average BIN's for though and they sold! Some within 30 minutes.

You've got to give it time. Unless you are giving it away, it may take a while for the right person to see the advertisement. Both Ebay & Gumtree are places that everyone's heard of. I've never heard of Quokka.

Quokka is huge in Perth, free advertising to sell anything, a newspaper/magazine that comes out weekly, similar to gumtree I guess but in paper.

Patience is not my best quality.

thanks

Other items I put higher than average BIN's for though and they sold! Some within 30 minutes.

It's funny! When I look for an item, I first locate it, then I look for who has the same item for the cheapest, & buy that one. BUT I have noticed that many people don't do that and it all depends on if your listing is one of the first that they see.

For instance, I have an item that is unique to me. Nobody else has it! I have it listed at $55 plus $15 postage and I give discounts on postage if more than one is purchased. I also have it listed for $80 with free postage ($10 more, all inclusive)

I sell a lot of this item at $55 BUT I also get sales at $80. The best ones are where they buy two at $80 ($160), or they buy an $80 item & pick it up.

Quokka is huge in Perth, free advertising to sell anything, a newspaper/magazine that comes out weekly, similar to gumtree I guess but in paper.

Patience is not my best quality.
Then don't expect $3k. I have sold heaps on gumtree this year. The less valuable an item is to me, the more likely it is to sell. Rubbish (for the right price) can sell in a couple of hours and stuff that's actually good can take weeks or months to sell.

I have sold a glass coffee table with a chipped top, a 20 year old oven with a faulty fan and given away disgusting 20 year old, worn out acrylic carpet.

OTOH, I can't move some decent lounges that are very reasonably priced.

Patience is a virtue when trying to sell, or else accept a much lower price than you are expecting.

I did indicate I am happy to negotiate on the price, $2999 is not set in concrete, never was.

If it does not sell by this week, its no biggy, I just want to utilise the room now.

I never sell stuff I would rather give it away to family and friends because I know I will get peanuts and rather have the people I love enjoy it, and I think I now have a taker.

I also was gobsmacked that eBay now will take a percentage of the total sold price INCLUDING the postage. They seem to be pushing free postage, which I like to use if I can, but to pay fees on the postage is a bit rich :eek:..

It's probably to stop those guys selling things for $1 and charging $100 for postage. They were doing this so they only have to pay a small commission to eBay based on the selling price.

It's funny you posted about selling a lounge in gumtree. I just sold a lounge set in 2 days and am buying a replacement that listed 3 days ago.

It's funny you posted about selling a lounge in gumtree. I just sold a lounge set in 2 days and am buying a replacement that listed 3 days ago.

Don't make me angry;)

I persuaded my mother to take the lounge, it was hard it meant she had to give up her bright yellow, Spanish style disaster/lounge I mean:p. That ones going on the verge.

Don't make me angry;)

I persuaded my mother to take the lounge, it was hard it meant she had to give up her bright yellow, Spanish style disaster/lounge I mean:p. That ones going on the verge.

Oh sugar! And i spent so much time writing and explaining how you could sell it on ebay :D

Anyway, happy that you gave it away to a family member that could use it, MTR. So it's still within the family. Potential heirloom. Who knows, MTR, it could be worth 6k 3 years from now because of the quality, workmanship and scarcity.

Oh sugar! And i spent so much time writing and explaining how you could sell it on ebay :D

Anyway, happy that you gave it away to a family member that could use it, MTR. So it's still within the family. Potential heirloom. Who knows, MTR, it could be worth 6k 3 years from now because of the quality, workmanship and scarcity.

Oh yes, sounds like property, buy for quality, scarcity and hold, sure to go up in value:p

I listed a lounge for free on gumtree yesterday, wihtin 2 minutes the phone rang and organised with a person (who told me they have been sitting on the floor) to come and get it, by the time had finished talking had a text message from someone else - so deleted the ad quick smart.

Put up my ipad for sale last night at 930pm,

within 8 minutes, had 3 emails, one phone call,

woke up today, 9 emails, 8 saying they'll take it, my ad said price firm,
1 saying I was dreaming at that price,

in hindsight I must have put it too cheap! I thought it wasnt very cheap

lets hope one of these people actually comes to pick it up

im chuffed if it does sell today,

hate selling stuff, hate dealing with low ballers, and having to feel to sell the product

Success

Finally success on gumtree, sold an oak sideboard day after I listed it, and more interested

Perhaps sold it too cheap.

Anyway, definately use gumtree again

One of the girls at work sells a bit of stuff on Gumtree and is getting more and more alarmed at some of the buyers, eg, advertised a DVD for $5 pick up only and had a buyer in Qld wanting it, she said no, just pick up thanks. To date, she has had 22 SMS 's from same person begging her to send it,not unique, available everywhere, bit of a worry.

Back