Shower renovation - Brisbane

I recently bought a place in Brisbane QLD and I am in the process of getting the shower retiled... the tiler (who is BSA licenced) is using treated timber for the shower hob but I have seen on the BSA website that the hob shouldn't be made of timber. Also he hasnt waterproofed the hob. As I have intentions to rent out the property where do I stand in terms of insurance etc if the bathroom floods or the tenant slips over and it turns out to be a problem caused by the hob's design?

The tiler has said that the timber he used was an approved sort, but on the BSA site it says that timber shouldn't be used, so I'm looking for a second opinion, especially on the insurance side of things.

Why are you putting in a shower hob anyway? They're a bit yester year and have more nooks and crannies for mould to grow. Anyway the timber should be fine as long as he covers it with blue board or same, tanks the lot and tiles over that.
Good luck!

The hob must be masonary under BCA and you must waterproof the shower recess to BCA and AS standards, mine had to be 1.8m high in the recess and 200mm past the hob as it was fully enclosed. A bathroom is the last place you want to taking shortcuts on.

Back