Signed up for a Triathlon - Panicking now. Any triathletes here?

(pinkboy heeeelppp) I've signed up for a Sprint Triathlon at Orange, NSW.

750m swim - 20k bike ride - 5k run

a bit of background about myself:

- I can run 5k without issues.
- Just this week, and for the first time, I swam 750 meters non stop. all with flip turns and everything. I was exhausted at the end. Need lots of improvement in my technique.
- Have taken my bike for servicing as I haven't used it in the past 4 years, where I used to rideto work for about 2 monts (only 6k away from the office). So, zero training on the bike yet.

the race is on the 1st of February and I'm ramping up my training. I have a few questions for the experienced ones here:

- is this enough time to prepare for this race, based on my numbers before? please note that I have never mixed any of these (run, bike, swim) in any of my trainings.
- I have a basic bike, no clipping, thing wheels, etc. clippers is not mandatory, isn't it?
- I read you must have a wetsuit for the swim leg. what do you recommend? tri suit? please note that I don't wanna spend money on the latest gear, as I don't know whether I'll be hooked to this, or I will hate it with all my heart. Something basic will do it.
- My biggest worry is the swim, as I haven't yet confortably swam 750k. This week I started hitting the pool at least 3 times a week. I don't want to have to call for help. Breaststroke is my last option :D
- Bike is another worry. I'll pick up my bike on tuesday and will see how I can start my training asap.

any tips?

Sorry I can't offer any tips as it's all new to me also but hopefully some experienced triathletes will chip in..

I am also training for my first mini triathlon which will be near London in May....Fortunately,I still have plenty of time..I started training 3 times a week last month but have been running and swimming the last 6 months quite regularly.. I will ramp it up to 5 times a week in the last 6 weeks leading up to it...

Most of my training unfortunately will be inside a fitness club as we have snow here in Moscow to late march early April....I will take up cross country skiing over winter which hopefully will work on my stamina...

At the moment I am doing 40 mins on the exercise bike followed by 20 minutes on the running machine twice a week, and on the other day around 40mins gym work followed by 1.2k swimming...

Any tips Pinkboy?

Yes that is plenty of time.

With swimming you will quickly be able to improve endurance and same with cycling.

And at the end of the day when you finish it, you will not give a toss what time you got BUT that you finished it. Next triathlon it will all be about beating that time, then the next time, then the next etc.

For that type of tri then cycling in your running sneakers is the way to go - you might like to invest in some different peddles which you can hook your sneakers into but I wouldn't worry at all.

Transition is where you can make time for many newbies.

Swim then head to bike
- keep a mat at bike with a water bottle for getting off sand then quickly dry feet with a hand towel, socks on and sneakers. Put helmet on (do it up!) and off you go. Invest in some elastic quick pull laces - ebay has them a dime a dozen.
- do bike leg and make sure you drink as you ride.
- for run leg take off helmet and put cap on if you like or just off you go.
- strike a pose at the finish line :)

Ebay for a basic swim/bike/run suit is a good idea but check the regulations for your tri. Many of the beginner tris are very gentle on their rulings.

NOT an expert.
Completed some for fun (BMW corporate tris )
Partner is.
Daunting at the time but great fun in the end and atmosphere pumps. Was at noosa this year. training for next year (group entry)

Xactly tips for fellow hacks:

Swimming.
Buy open water swim goggles. Less stressful when you can see where you are going. Worth the price. Very pricy compared to ordinary pool googles!
They have large straps and wide anchoring suction base. Comfortable and more solid for where you are accidently kicked/hit in the opening swim scrum and googles dislodge/break waterseal

Do some open water swimming closer to the time . Can be disorientating with limited visibility after the shelter of a pool if you've never done it before.

Tri wetsuits are getting cheap. Dare2tri is a new base model brand.

Cycling.

Find a cycling partner that kicks your *** if you don't meet up at the morning rides. Cheap motivation.

Get a wind trainer ,a stack of DVDs cycle trainer and a fan. That way a quick HIITs session is available for wet weather or when you cheat and can't make it out of bed.
Get the ebook " the time crunched cyclist".
http://www.amazon.com/The-Time-Crunched-Cyclist-2nd-Athlete-ebook/dp/B00A0D5WEQ
Cycle shoes increase your efficiency I'd make an effort to learn to ride clipped. Start with MTB clips
Easier to hook in and out and if it is a long way/ hilly between the dismount and the bike rack then ride in them on the day. Easier with MTB shoes then running in road bike clips pushing your bike! Remember you aren't a pro you want a Balence between the vetrans efficiency and gumby beginner training wheel help.

You don't have to ride clipped but you might find tris' are addictive! Start now and pick up a new skill set early!

Running.
You can run 5 Kim's? Great! That's how far you park from the pool.
Get used to doing 2 sports simultaneously. ...then three.... At first chop down one of the distances to concentrate to the main training leg.

Transition.
Get a bucket. carry all your stuff in to the bike area with it and and upturn it and leave it there. sit on it to strip off wetsuits / lace your shoes/unlace etc. Makes it so much easier then hopping around on one foot.
Also carry in a squirt bottle of water.. This is for squirting over your feet to wash off the sand and grit before you put your cycle shoes on.

I'm just a hack.
These are beginner tips. The pros would rather be dead than ride in MTB shoes but if you are new to the game then training wheels are not shameful!
Have fun!

Cheers Xactly

- My biggest worry is the swim, as I haven't yet confortably swam 750k. This week I started hitting the pool at least 3 times a week. I don't want to have to call for help. Breaststroke is my last option

You will be amazed at how easy the wetsuit makes swimming with the added boyancy.
Don't train in it tho.

Can't give you tips, but from your description, it seems like you will be alive after the triathlon. If you want to aim for a certain time record, that's a different issue.

DH signed up for BRW (I think) triathlon last year and never trained until the last week, and he trained 15 mins run a day. An no, he's not a regular triathlete or super human.

He came out unscathed, just very tired :rolleyes:

in 2012 I joined my friend and did the half ironman or full triathlon or whatever it was called,

it was 10km run, 1.5km swim, and a 80km cycle

I did barely any training for it whatsoever, I borrowed my friends bike the week before , hadnt swam since I was a kid, and used to run about 5km once a month, but I was fit

the hardest part was the 80km cycle, going up the hills was tough

once is enough,

I guess if you are fairly fit you can do the 750m swim, 5km run, 20km cycle, without too much fuss

At the moment I am doing 40 mins on the exercise bike followed by 20 minutes on the running machine twice a week, and on the other day around 40mins gym work followed by 1.2k swimming...

that's good. hope it goes well!

Yes that is plenty of time.

With swimming you will quickly be able to improve endurance and same with cycling.

And at the end of the day when you finish it, you will not give a toss what time you got BUT that you finished it. Next triathlon it will all be about beating that time, then the next time, then the next etc.

For that type of tri then cycling in your running sneakers is the way to go - you might like to invest in some different peddles which you can hook your sneakers into but I wouldn't worry at all.

Transition is where you can make time for many newbies.

Swim then head to bike
- keep a mat at bike with a water bottle for getting off sand then quickly dry feet with a hand towel, socks on and sneakers. Put helmet on (do it up!) and off you go. Invest in some elastic quick pull laces - ebay has them a dime a dozen.
- do bike leg and make sure you drink as you ride.
- for run leg take off helmet and put cap on if you like or just off you go.
- strike a pose at the finish line :)

Ebay for a basic swim/bike/run suit is a good idea but check the regulations for your tri. Many of the beginner tris are very gentle on their rulings.
Thank you westminster, great tips.

Xactly tips for fellow hacks:

Swimming.
Buy open water swim goggles. Less stressful when you can see where you are going. Worth the price.

Never thought about this. I just read about it and the swim will be in a lake, so I won't be able to see anything. will keep this in mind.

Tri wetsuits are getting cheap. Dare2tri is a new base model brand.

Cheapest so far from what I've seen. thank you.

Thanks.

Running.
You can run 5 Kim's? Great! That's how far you park from the pool.
I know :)
Thanks Xactly

Can't give you tips, but from your description, it seems like you will be alive after the triathlon. If you want to aim for a certain time record, that's a different issue.

DH signed up for BRW (I think) triathlon last year and never trained until the last week, and he trained 15 mins run a day. An no, he's not a regular triathlete or super human.

He came out unscathed, just very tired :rolleyes:

Thanks. finishing is my objective.

How old are you Edmond?
Will be 37 when the race takes place.

in 2012 I joined my friend and did the half ironman or full triathlon or whatever it was called,

it was 10km run, 1.5km swim, and a 80km cycle

I did barely any training for it whatsoever, I borrowed my friends bike the week before , hadnt swam since I was a kid, and used to run about 5km once a month, but I was fit

the hardest part was the 80km cycle, going up the hills was tough

once is enough,

I guess if you are fairly fit you can do the 750m swim, 5km run, 20km cycle, without too much fuss

Thanks TMNT. I've read cycling is the one that I should be training more, since it is the longest. Swimming next, and running the last one.

As others have mentioned, transition is important, especially remembering where your bike is racked.

I took my daughter yesterday to a local one to watch the transition changes as she is keen to do her first one in January. Perhaps go and watch a local event to get a better understanding or use google or youtube.

Aside from your training, I would encourange you to prepare by running off the bike in your training a few times. This is called a brick session. I found the hardest thing to do was run off the bike (jelly legs) when I used to do triathlons many years back. Also ensure you can swim much further than 750 m in your training. Try and get some open water swims in and use some navigation markers to keep on track. I once followed other swimmers who were off course and ergo so was I by a few hundred metres.

Triathlons can get addictive. Enjoy.

Good luck. :)

Looks like all the basics have been covered for you to successfully get to the finish line. Some finer pointers:

Technique in all disciplines trumps strength:

Improving swimming stroke will see you use much less valuable energy than thrashing around to get through the swim. Nice long easy strokes with an even kicking action to suit. I reckon just 4 to 6 swimming lessons would give you a really marked improvement.

Cycling technique is probably not so critical for 20km, especially if you dont have clipless pedals and aerobars etc. However, nice circular pedal action and 'pulling up' on the back stroke will certainly give you some more free speed. Ask your bike shop to do a quick bike fit so at least your seat height is correct.

Running technique is probably the most underrated, but most important of all 3 disciplines. For instance, you will be running fatigued, and more prone to injury and soreness during a race, so its best to have the best running style to begin with. Shoulders relaxed and looking straight ahead. Run on quiet streets or a track so you can glance down and make sure your feet are striking the ground in a straight line. Once you get to know your running gait, you can refine it. Running fatigued in a race is much different to training, so in the race, bring yourself back to these training sessions mentally.

Triathlon can be as cheap or expensive as you make it:

The latest and greatest 'go faster gadgets' look fancy (and do give you a little bit of extra, but not much), but you still have to physically swim/bike/run - so firstly investing in yourself will be the greatest speed enhancer. Coaching, and training will give you about 90% of your potential, with go fast gadgets accounting for only about another 10% of overall performance.

Nutrition is important. Dont adopt the KFC/Tim Tam diet that I have :D. Training requires much more caloric intake than a normal sedentary person....but make sure you are burning what you are eating as well. There are a plethora of Apps that can help you.

Triathlon is fun and addictive, as previously mentioned above. You will want to record times and compare them to your training, and then want to go longer or faster - or both :eek: ! Get onto Apps like Strava and MapMyRun/MapMyRide so you can record all your data. All can be done from your smart phone.

I have been doing Triathlons for 15yrs, and it is now just a way of life for me and the family. My wife even does a few, and loves the training and not so much the racing aspect. It is a great way to meet many new and like minded people, but as with every crowd, there will be some bad eggs....but you know what to do with those insects!

If you need any other tips, dont hesitate to ask! I live and breathe Triathlon.

pinkboy

Thanks TMNT. I've read cycling is the one that I should be training more, since it is the longest. Swimming next, and running the last one.

Gross misconception. Quality over quantity, and training your weakest discipline will improve your overall fitness. Triathlon is a single sport, not 3 sports in one.

pinkboy

Looks like all the basics have been covered for you to successfully get to the finish line. Some finer pointers:

Technique in all disciplines trumps strength:

Improving swimming stroke will see you use much less valuable energy than thrashing around to get through the swim. Nice long easy strokes with an even kicking action to suit. I reckon just 4 to 6 swimming lessons would give you a really marked improvement.

Yes, I've noticed this. I've gone through a few youtube vids on swimming and have rolled my body and extending my arm more. I've shaved an average of 4 seconds in every lap. I've lasted only 5 laps non stop though, lol.

at the moment, I've counted 22 strokes per each 25m pool that I swim. best is 20 so far.

Running technique is probably the most underrated, but most important of all 3 disciplines. For instance, you will be running fatigued, and more prone to injury and soreness during a race, so its best to have the best running style to begin with. Shoulders relaxed and looking straight ahead. Run on quiet streets or a track so you can glance down and make sure your feet are striking the ground in a straight line. Once you get to know your running gait, you can refine it. Running fatigued in a race is much different to training, so in the race, bring yourself back to these training sessions mentally.

I've struggled with my running for so many years as I have flat feet. Got a good pair of orthotics, and I'm now landing in the middle of my food. It has made a lot of difference. Now I don't get shin splits anymore. My left leg is weak and I think I tend to get ITBS once the distance is too long. That's why I think 5k is just right.

Triathlon is fun and addictive, as previously mentioned above. You will want to record times and compare them to your training, and then want to go longer or faster - or both :eek: ! Get onto Apps like Strava and MapMyRun/MapMyRide so you can record all your data. All can be done from your smart phone.

Yep, been using MapMyRun for a while. Will check out Strava.

I have been doing Triathlons for 15yrs, and it is now just a way of life for me and the family. My wife even does a few, and loves the training and not so much the racing aspect. It is a great way to meet many new and like minded people, but as with every crowd, there will be some bad eggs....but you know what to do with those insects!

If you need any other tips, dont hesitate to ask! I live and breathe Triathlon.
pinkboy

Thanks. I'll get my bike tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

I agree technique is everything with swimming. I used to be hopeless.. Tried swimming lessons and got inundated with all info (early head turn for breathing, body roll, use your core, engage your glutes for kicking etc etc) came away not being able to apply any of it. Tried squad and sure the endurance improved but that was only my anerobic improving and tolerance to lactic acid.

Not sure if you've come across "Total Immersion" in your google/youtube searches? Do a youtube search "Shinji Total Immersion" if you want to see a cool demo.

I went overseas to do a training camp in it. It has transformed my swimming and can now swim long distance while keeping my heart rate low. By far the biggest improvement was reducing the kick from a 6 beat kick down to a 2 beat kick. You can waste loads of energy kicking while swimming.. you want to save them for the bike run anyway.

I can highly recommend getting into "TI" swimming by ordering the DVD's - working it out just from youtube may be hard. Or I think there is a guy in Sydney that teaches it?

My left leg is weak and I think I tend to get ITBS once the distance is too long. That's why I think 5k is just right.
Have you visited a physio about this? An appointment can be pretty cheap after HICAPS.

I've also had ITB issues to the point where I had to stop everything for 3-4 months. I now stretch every day with a foam roller along with some yoga type stretches.. Good for working on the core and relaxation too :cool:

Have you visited a physio about this? An appointment can be pretty cheap after HICAPS.

I've also had ITB issues to the point where I had to stop everything for 3-4 months. I now stretch every day with a foam roller along with some yoga type stretches.. Good for working on the core and relaxation too :cool:

Hi vb, I went to the physio and he didn't say about ITBS, but he confirmed that I need to strengthen my left leg, as the one bearing all the pain is the knee.

I've also got a foam roller, and doing clamshells exercises as suggested by the physio.

What kick should I be using for my swim? 2 beat kick? I used to have a random kick and yesterday I practice the 2 beat kick, in order to improve my techique. I felt I needed my upper body more, getting tired much faster unfortunately. I only swam 200m non stop, but did lots of drills after that. Quite dissapointed.

I'm doing a tri this weekend, Gatorade series in Melbourne (500m/20km/5km). Love all the tips in this thread, as I'm a relative novice so far. Done about 6 in total over the last few years.

Am entered in Lorne Pier to Pub 1.2km ocean swim in January, so will be focusing a lot on swimming.

Currently can swim about 1.5km in 50m pool, slow pace just getting the distance done. Will be focusing on more speed soon and incorporate open water swimming to used to breathing both sides, waves, sighting etc.

Was thinking of getting some lessons, but I'll see how I go first.

Back