How to start...exercising

Following on from an old thread about how "old" we all are - there were a number of comments (including my own) referring to the dangers of living a sedentary lifestyle.

Well, Im a bad culprit for it. I work long hours when I work (12+/day) of which 99% of it is office based.
When I get off work, Im buggered, so I generally "swan" around. That is I basically just hang around the house or town doing things at a slow leisurely pace. I very rarely watch tv (less than 4hrs/month), but do use the computer in my down time, and I read a lot.

However, when it comes to exercise it just doesn't happen. I will occasionally get a rush of blood and go for a run (it hurts) or a swim or bike ride. However, this doesn't happen nearly enough.

Now that Im in my greying years :)p) Ive noticed pains where pain never used to be. I have the most inflexible legs in the world, if I do do any exercise I can't walk for the next 3 days and doing fun things (skiing, football, playing with the dog etc) Im puffed after about 3mins and exhausted by the end of the day.

I have always been fairly active just with my lifestyle, so have never seen the need to exercise for the sake of it, and with the exception of repetitive light lifts at the bar (usually about 1/2kilo) I have never done weights.

I would like to get back into some kind of condition where Im not grimacing at the thought of a "hike" when on holidays.
I can't join a gym - or fitness class. This has to be done on my own freewill.

So cmon you fitness people, how is it done?

Blacky

Are there any particular sports you like playing? You could join up to a social comp- can't be darts or pool :)

I know how hard it can be to maintain fitness when working long hours but it's incredibly important and should be a priority IMO.

Cheers

Jamie

Health is more important than wealth so it needs to be a priority.

With 3 kids to take up my non working hours, the only thing that worked for me was incorporating exercise into my lifestyle. This meant dropping the second car and buying a bicycle with panniers and bike trailer that could be used to get to and from work, get the groceries, take the kids for an outing, cart hardware etc etc.

The little bit extra time it takes to get somewhere is a lot less than the time it takes to go to a gym. Much cheaper too...

But what works for me might not work for you. What do you find enjoyable? Walking? Running? Water skiing? Kitesurfing? :).

Schedule it in to your day, preferably before you start your shift so when you're tired at the end of a long shift you can just crash and the exercise doesn't interfere with your sleep. IMO it needs to be something you can fit into your work day or you won't be doing it often enough. And finding excuses to get out of your chair at work also needs to be a priority.

Good luck!

I find the best way to exercise with a busy schedule is to combine exercise with your "bludge" activities.

For example, put an exercise bike in front of your TV, stand up to use the computer, etc. I even read standing up, to avoid sitting down too long. (But don't try running and reading, because getting hit by a car isn't good for your health)

That way you won't feel like exercising is "out of the way".

G'day Blacky.

I would suggest that your priority might be in the wrong place in this situation.

Considering you have little time to exercise and it gives you some pain as well I would definitely be looking at diet rather than exercise. Don't get me wrong, cardiovascular activity is great for health and weight loss but if you're diet is not great it is an uphill battle.

Maybe you could try spending the spare time on one of your afternoons preparing your meals for the next few days/week so you know exactly what you're taking in (calories) and you can adjust your food to suit what the scale does or doesn't do. Low carbohydrate diets are the way to go in my experience.

Also by eating this way it is easier to stick to as the food is already there and most people are less likely to grab fast food that way.

I used to work 12 hour days as well but in the coal industry of the hunter valley and travel 1 hour each way, it can certainly make exercise hard some days.

Edit: I agree with HiEquity about doing exercise before work, great way to start the day and even better if you do it on an empty stomach ;-)

Just gotta find something you enjoy - for some that's a sport or cycling or weightlifting or whatever. Its akin to investing - chip away at it for many years for an end result. There's also as many diets and excersize routines as investment strategies so find something you enjoy and rest takes care of itself.

Bit guilty myself. Used to be into weightlifting (competed state level), but been sans license for 12+ months and its all gone to crap. Need to get (stay) back on the bandwagon in 2015!

Try going to bed earlier so you can wake up early and exercise before work. Start out easy, 60% effort just enough so you don't "hurt for three days after" and kill your motivation before you start. Just make it part of your routine. At first you might be tired but before long you will be feeling good with your morning exercise and shower before work and wonder what you did without it.

As someone said earlier. Diet is the key to health and preparation is the key to a good diet.

Goodluck mate!

Fresh.

Sign up for a sprint triathlon, then you will have a reason. Ideally it should be 4-6 months away to give you time to improve and start seeing some serious results... Even better set some goals for it, say 5k in less than 30mins then 28 and slowly work your way down as it will motivate you more once you start seeing improvements..

Also most cities have a 5k park run every Saturday morning which is a great way to meet like minded people... They record your time every week and put it on the Internet to see your improvements, personal best times and ranking. .

Get a fitbit or similar and track your steps each day. It can be a great motivator to get you moving - initially anyway. Try to do 10,000 steps per day for starters.

Can you walk to work or walk during work - steps instead of elevator etc.

Get a fitbit or similar and track your steps each day. It can be a great motivator to get you moving - initially anyway. Try to do 10,000 steps per day for starters.

Can you walk to work or walk during work - steps instead of elevator etc.

I bought a fitbit. It does motivate you. I'm a teacher and when on playground duty now I walk quickly round the oval many times, whereas before I just strolled around.
If I'm a little down on my quota I run around the house. LOL

Have you seen the story on the lady who doesn't sit down? She works at her computer standing up. If people want a meeting with her they have to walk with her. "Experts" say sitting down is bad and gives you a big backside. They say school children should stand for lessons also instead of sitting at desks too much.

My wife and I go to the gym every Saturday and Sunday morning and I try to go 3 times on the weekdays. My motivation is I'm 43 and trying to keep what I've got as long as possible:)

Any possible way you can escape for 30-60 minutes in your 12 day? I doubt that you're actually productive for all 12 hours, maybe an experiment to take your hour & see if you get the same amount done?

I've started swimming at lunch times. I get in 30 minutes earlier to compensate & the other 30 minutes has meant no loss in productivity. Currently about 3 times a week, aiming to make it a daily thing.

Sitting is terrible for shortening all your muscles which would no doubt be contributing to your pain when you do exercise. stand up at a minimum every hour, reverse all of the bad things that sitting and working at a computer (?) does - so stretch your arms back, arch your back, stretch your neck back, touch your toes etc

Get yourself a love interest. That'll give you a reason to start looking after no. 1 ;)

Leading a double life will act as cardio 'cause your heart will constantly be racing.

You will have less free time so you'll have to manage it better if you don't want to alert either to your new found philandering ways.

Your memory will also improve out of sight as you will need to recall two calendars, two social lives and two families.

Last edited:
Get yourself a love interest. That'll give you a reason to start looking after no. 1 ;)

Leading a double life will act as cardio 'cause your heart will constantly be racing.

You will have less free time so you'll have to manage it better if you don't want to alert either to your new found filandering ways.

Your memory will also improve out of sight as you will need to recall two calendars, two social lives and two families.

Hahahaha, golden.

I would love to get some tips too.

I hate going to gym. I feel as it is waste of time & energy. Why pay someone to use our energy?

To me, the trick is to make it something double purpose.

At 30, I started tennis. It is part of my routine now. At least 1-2 nights of play per week.

At 35, I started cycling. Trying to do about 40 mins of ride (with a kid) per week. I take a kid to the park and come back.

Now (39), started learning swimming. At blowing bubbles stage now :eek:

My aim is to do each of this activity at least once a week. That itself should be sufficient and fun.

Back